Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-23-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
zdas04
zdas04 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Mobi2MobiGUI Hangs

I've used Mobi2Mobi GUI VB V7 several times over the last couple of months and it generally works great. Today is not one of those times. When I start it, it allows me to specify the file that I want to change, and then hangs up.

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3.

When I hit ALT-CNTL-DEL it shows 2-5 copies of Mobi2Mobi.exe running. Watching the "processes" tab, when there are 2 copies (most common) one is around 1,448 kB and doing nothing (CPU = 00), but the other one builds to 15,480 kB and then sits there with the CPU value changing every second or so. I've let it do this for as long as 2 hours and it never does anything else.

I've downloaded .Net 3.5 SP 1 (already had it, ran "Repair") and made sure that I had matched pairs (i.e., I tried GUI V7 with Mobi2Mobi V0.0.43 and GUI V6 with Mobi2Mobi V0.0.41).

I found one place where the WIKI said "download and install Mobiperl scripts" Then it says farther on that you have to tell MobiGUI where the file with the Mobi2Mobi.exe and Mobi2Mobi.pl are. I can't find a Mobi2Mobi.pl anywhere in any of the versions. It seems OK with pointing it to the file with Mobi2Mobi.exe.

Anyone seen this before and have any suggestions?

David
zdas04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:57 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdas04 View Post
I've used Mobi2Mobi GUI VB V7 several times over the last couple of months and it generally works great. Today is not one of those times. When I start it, it allows me to specify the file that I want to change, and then hangs up.

I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3.

David
I've had this problem in the past - several months ago, so it was probably an earlier version.

Mobi2Mobi came back to life after I ran a registry cleaner, but I've no idea whether this was the solution or a coincidence.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3
If you have the appropriate version of Perl installed you can use the original apps as supplied by Tommy. You need to append the .pl to the end of the Mobi2Mobi app to allow Windows to associate it with the Perl application. By default the Mobiperl tools have no extensions.

Generally the GUI hangs when it encounters characters in the filename not supported under DOS. What is the name & type of file you are converting?

Last edited by Jad; 03-25-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
zdas04
zdas04 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
The file name of the book is "Without Remorse - CLANCY_TOM.azw". I know that DOS doesn't like spaces in file names, so I renamed it to "Without_Remorse_CLANCY_TOM.azw" with no joy. Then I thought that the old 8-character DOS limitation (EARLY DOS) might be kicking in and renamed it to "WO_REM.azw" with the same result. The Mobi2Mobi CUI has handled some pretty messy file names for me in the past so I didn't really think the name was the problem, but I was grasping at straws.

I don't know what happened, but I rebooted (for the fourth time since I started having this problem), started the V6 GUI, it took about 5 minutes to open the file then started working perfectly (and quickly). I changed the file name of all 12 books in the series (I appended a series name and a number so I could read them in order without a cheat sheet). Like everything else these days I just have to blame it on my security software since I can't figure out why it stopped working or why it started again.

Thanks for your help.

David
zdas04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3
Glad it started working correctly again. Its been one the frustrating things developing this thing in that so many people get such varied results under Windows.. Oh well..
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 01:56 AM   #6
PaxtonReader
PaxtonReader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Global
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad View Post
Glad it started working correctly again. Its been one the frustrating things developing this thing in that so many people get such varied results under Windows.. Oh well..
I have had a similar lockup problem, and only in the last week or so. Prior to that everything ran fine. I am assuming it is the result of some Windows security download or .NET fix. Very annoying!
PaxtonReader is offline   Reply With Quote