Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-02-2015, 01:22 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Please Let Me Read To You

A few weeks ago I was contacted by Pat from Please Let Me Read To You. They wanted to know if they could read one of my short stories on their podcast. I hunted around and found that their Facebook page says: "We read books and short stories by independent authors in genres we're not used to - resulting in poorly read audiobooks. So, let us read to you.."

That didn't sound to promising, but the email was polite and sounded sincere, so I listened to a couple of their shows to find out more.

Each podcast opens with small group of people chatting about their lives for a while before arriving at "the reading". The story is read in silly and exaggerated voices, along with interruptions, mistakes and deliberately skewed emphasis on parts of the dialogue. It could, I might even say should, have been a mess. But I enjoyed it. I laughed a lot and got a general impression of the story.

So I gave them the go ahead to use mine. To be honest, I don't think I laughed at their performance of my story as much as I laughed at the others I'd listened to, but I suspect (hope) that's because I spent too much time listening for what I knew was coming rather than just listening to the show.

It's not that they make fun of the story they're reading, they just have fun with it. It's a distorted adaptation rather than a recital. The result isn't anything you're likely to use to sell your work (it's not exactly painting it in its best possible light), but it's something different and I found it fun.

Apparently they have had trouble finding authors willing to participate, which I suppose is not all that surprising, we writers can be a sensitive bunch . They will consider submissions if anyone here is interested.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated in any way, except that they've done one of my stories, I just thought others here might be interested.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote