Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #1
inpariswithyou
inpariswithyou began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Suggestions for an eReader to replace Mantano + Calibre

Wasn't sure if this is the best forum for this post, but here goes nothing anyway.

I'm having a lot of discomfort over my current choice of app on my Galaxy Note. I use Calibre to organize my collection as it exists on my computer, and I've been using Mantano Reader (the paid version) on my tablet. I like Mantano a lot, but I hate how little support it has for PDF metadata -- covers and tags don't transfer, and I have to enter them in manually. As I have quite a few PDFs, this is exhausting.

I've already tried talking to the people at Mantano to see if there's any relief on the horizon, but they're decidedly silent on the subject, so I feel as if it may be time to look elsewhere. I'm not sure, though, if the problem I'm having is an insufficiency of Mantano or a limitation of the PDF format itself.

Is there any app out there that can import covers and metadata for PDF files as well as ePub and MOBI? I'm not averse to using a program other than Calibre, though I can't even name another Windows program of that type.

Suggestions are appreciated!
inpariswithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpariswithyou View Post
Wasn't sure if this is the best forum for this post, but here goes nothing anyway.

I'm having a lot of discomfort over my current choice of app on my Galaxy Note. I use Calibre to organize my collection as it exists on my computer, and I've been using Mantano Reader (the paid version) on my tablet. I like Mantano a lot, but I hate how little support it has for PDF metadata -- covers and tags don't transfer, and I have to enter them in manually. As I have quite a few PDFs, this is exhausting.

I've already tried talking to the people at Mantano to see if there's any relief on the horizon, but they're decidedly silent on the subject, so I feel as if it may be time to look elsewhere. I'm not sure, though, if the problem I'm having is an insufficiency of Mantano or a limitation of the PDF format itself.

Is there any app out there that can import covers and metadata for PDF files as well as ePub and MOBI? I'm not averse to using a program other than Calibre, though I can't even name another Windows program of that type.

Suggestions are appreciated!
Use calibre companion on your tablet

it is a library organizer for your device. You can sort and group books by author, tags, series, etc. You can launch your book reader application to read a book (works with most reader applications except for Amazon Kindle).
For more information see our FAQ (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188899)
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #3
inpariswithyou
inpariswithyou began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
I just looked into Calibre Companion, and while it seems like a great tool, it's still not really solving the problem I'm having with Mantano. When I try to read a book out of Calibre Companion, it imports it into Mantano, and I once again have missing covers and no tags on all the PDF files, even though Calibre Companion has everything complete. It's pretty frustrating; there seems to be no way to import PDFs into Mantano without losing more than half the metadata! But I really like Mantano's tag + collection system, as well as their highlighting feature... *sigh*
inpariswithyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpariswithyou View Post
I just looked into Calibre Companion, and while it seems like a great tool, it's still not really solving the problem I'm having with Mantano. When I try to read a book out of Calibre Companion, it imports it into Mantano, and I once again have missing covers and no tags on all the PDF files, even though Calibre Companion has everything complete. It's pretty frustrating; there seems to be no way to import PDFs into Mantano without losing more than half the metadata! But I really like Mantano's tag + collection system, as well as their highlighting feature... *sigh*
Use Calibre Companion only for your books - anytime you want to read a book, look at meta data, or anything else go to Calibre Companion first. Everytime you want to read something open it thru Calibre Companion. Use Mantano strictly for reading. I use CC and Moon+ Pro and never open Moon directly.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android apps, calibre, mantano, metadata transfer, pdf