Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #76
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Correct, I should have said ten reasons I am not impressed by the N7
You might not be impressed, but the Nexus 7 is a significant step forward for both Google and Android (albeit the somewhat marred launch has put a stain on it). This is a powerful tablet with a nice screen, with an up to date software (that will be refreshed as soon as a new version comes out) and with unlimited opportunities for the geeks interested in toying with it. It's no wonder it's sold out.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #77
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
... (albeit the somewhat marred launch has put a stain on it).
Sadly, it would have cost me less (no shipping) to buy a 16GB Nexus 7 at a local store, and I would have gotten it sooner, than I got my preorder. And sears.com even had it on sale for $237.49 INCLUDING SHIPPING. I had to pay Google the full $249.99 PLUS $13.88 shipping, and I had to wait longer than if I bought it as sears.com with local in-store pickup.

And worse, Google is giving the $25 (announced as a pre-order bonus) google play credit for in-store purchases now too.

And with an in-store purchase, you could pre-examine it to check for the "loose screw" or "lifted screen" problems and exchange it immediately, but with sold-out pre-orders you would have to wait for a replacement from the next build.

So the people who did pre-orders for the 16GB Nexus 7 paid more AND waited longer, and some of them got defects than cannot be replaced in a timely manner.

That certainly was botched, IMHO.

I am not unhappy that I pre-ordered, but I think Google should give us an extra bonus that they are NOT giving to in-store purchasers (like the $25 credit was SUPPOSED to be).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-24-2012 at 02:08 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #78
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can mention 200 reasons not to get a KF or an N7.

Besides, I have an iPad 1. No need for either. They don't do anything I can't already do.
iPad 1 is a different device. Not only price point but screen size. Apples (actually) vs Oranges
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #79
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You might not be impressed, but the Nexus 7 is a significant step forward for both Google and Android (albeit the somewhat marred launch has put a stain on it). This is a powerful tablet with a nice screen, with an up to date software (that will be refreshed as soon as a new version comes out) and with unlimited opportunities for the geeks interested in toying with it. It's no wonder it's sold out.
I pre-ordered my N7 and LOVE it. I will keep my Fire but the Nexus is in a class by itself -- and my go-to device. Thin, lightweight, beautiful display, incredibly fast with an outstanding OS. Not to mention a great value!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #80
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Hell, you don't HAVE to get the last thing. If you're happy with your Fire..

I'm more tempted to get a nexus, more recent, and updates And google actually cares about europe !

Not having ICS / jelly bean will become a problem at some time. But, by the time it gets get to be an actual problem, there will be other tablets out.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #81
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The thing that most annoys me is that Adobe decided to NOT support JellyBean with their flash player plug-in, and way too many web pages depend on that player for their embedded video.

All you get is "unsupported device" if you try to install it.

There is supposedly some kind of hackish workaround to use an OLD version of flash, but I have not tried it yet.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #82
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The thing that most annoys me is that Adobe decided to NOT support JellyBean with their flash player plug-in, and way too many web pages depend on that player for their embedded video.

There is supposedly some kind of hackish workaround to use an OLD version of flash, but I have not tried it yet.
And i'm glad they took that decision !
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #83
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can mention 200 reasons not to get a KF or an N7.

Besides, I have an iPad 1. No need for either. They don't do anything I can't already do.
I get a good chuckle when I see posts like this one (I've seen a few over here like this one). Most people visit forums about devices they own so that they can get tips and perhaps offer support advice to others. I wonder how many visit sites about devices they DON'T own so that they can gloat about the devices they have?
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #84
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"I wonder how many visit sites about devices they DON'T own so that they can gloat about the devices they have?"
Thank you!!!
now I must run over to the fantasy football forum and announce the reasons that I dont care who makes the NFL playoffs.... because I only watch hockey. :-)
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #85
geekmaster

Even the thread title is worded to provoke just like typical troll posts.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 AM   #86
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"Even the thread title is worded to provoke just like typical troll posts
"

The thread is in the 7 inch android based kindle fire Forum to discuss the merits of two 7 inch Android tablets in the $200 dollar price range.( KF vs N7)

Only a true troll would see that as an invitation to come in and basicly assert
" ALL Android tablets are worthless that is why I have an ipad"
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:40 PM   #87
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the Kindle Fire, Galaxy Tab 2 (bought 3 days ago) and Nexus 7 (arrived today) at home.

And man ... I'm impressed. Its not only a good price, but the Nexus display is gorgeous! Its light but solid and very responsive.

I've tried bunch of tablets, even the 1st gen Galaxy Tab and this time Google made it right.

Last edited by jocampo; 08-08-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #88
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I have the Kindle Fire, Galaxy Tab 2 (bought 3 days ago) and Nexus 7 (arrived today) at home.

And man ... I'm impressed. Its not only a good price, but the Nexus display is gorgeous! Its light but solid and very responsive.

I've tried bunch of tablets, even the 1st gen Galaxy Tab and this time Google made it right.
So is the Tab 2 isn't a keeper over the Nexus 7 so far?

There is no discounting that the Nexus 7 is one to be reckoned with for what is currently available amongst 7" tablets.

Folks owning something already will just have to decide if they "WANT" the Nexus.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #89
jocampo
Layback feline

For me? No way... the Nexus 7 is fantastic, perfect for what I need and less expensive. I'll keep the Nexus 7.

The screen and resolution is better for the Kindle for Android.

Returning the Galaxy today!
Old 08-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #90
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post

Not correct. The latest Flash 11.1 plus Firefox BETA or the previous version of Dolphin (not current) work fine.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote