Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #136
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: kindle 2
2x Home doesn't work on kindle 2
Rockets00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #137
Rockets00
Connoisseur
Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.Rockets00 got an A in P-Chem.

This tutorial (http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html) says to telnet:
1. /etc/init.d/netwatchd stop
2. /etc/init.d/powerd stop
What does they do and why I don't have to start them later?
If I start with SHIFT+VU, will these 2 be executed?
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #138
Rockets00
Connoisseur

Is it possible to replace

elseif code == KEY_HOME then
Quit()

with

!killall kindlevncviewer
Old 05-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #139
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'm still unsure why the Quit() would not work. I guess something else is getting in between. Then your suggestion wouldn't work either. When you want to execute programs from Lua, you have to use os.execute("here goes the command"), e.g. os.execute("killall kindlevncviewer"). Well, try to see if that fixes your problem.

I rather guess the K2 has some slightly differing key codes. You can use Lua's "print(...)" function to print some debug output to the standard output - so try if you manage to find out the right key codes. I would be interested :-)
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #140
Rockets00
Connoisseur

I used spacebar instead. Quit() works, os.execute("killall kindlevncviewer") works too. If I use home for both, kindle freezes, but I can still use "killall kindlevncviewer" via telnet.

do you mean
print(KEY_HOME)
?
Advert
Old 05-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #141
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

nah, I meant to introduce the print() as e.g. print("code is", code) before the full if sequence or similar.

But I guess when it _freezes_, it will rather be something outside the viewer or some kind of race condition. I guess it won't be so easy to track down. But of course, you can also do something like you wrote to check whether the code gets executed at all. But don't invest too much time when you have a good workaround already.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:34 PM   #142
Rockets00
Connoisseur

The volume keys are controlled by the Kindle system and not available to applications. Home is reserved for exiting applications and is not available for use by the application.

http://kdk-javadocs.s3.amazonaws.com...eKeyCodes.html
Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #143
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets00 View Post
The volume keys are controlled by the Kindle system and not available to applications. Home is reserved for exiting applications and is not available for use by the application.

http://kdk-javadocs.s3.amazonaws.com...eKeyCodes.html
Those limits apply to java kindlets, not to native apps such as this, which can use the volume keys. You can also use the volume buttons in scripts that use the "watiforkey" command to read them.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-16-2012 at 02:45 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #144
Rockets00
Connoisseur

It works! I'm so happy now.

I tried remove Home command completely, i expected default action to return home. Didn't help.

Step to victory:
i noticed "set_k3_keycodes()" in config.lua and removed this line!
It is OK now.

If we check keys.lua, we wil find, that K3 uses different codes:
function set_k3_keycodes()
KEY_AA = 190
KEY_SYM = 126
KEY_HOME = 102
KEY_BACK = 158
KEY_PGFWD = 191
KEY_LPGBCK = 193
KEY_LPGFWD = 104
KEY_VPLUS = 115
KEY_VMINUS = 114
KEY_FW_UP = 103
KEY_FW_DOWN = 108
KEY_FW_PRESS = 194
end

Default Home is set to:
KEY_HOME = 98

I suppose Kindle 2 and DX use default values. What values take Kindle 4?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #145
Rockets00
Connoisseur

My next problem:
autostart
1. /etc/init.d/netwatchd stop
2. /etc/init.d/powerd stop

If I add these lines to config.lua, will it work?

os.execute("/etc/init.d/netwatchd stop")
os.execute("/etc/init.d/powerd stop")

How can I start them after I quit KVV automatically? I want to use config.lua.
If it is not possible, I will try to use launchpad, but it will be not automated.

Last edited by Rockets00; 05-16-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #146
Rockets00
Connoisseur

Does password work for the connection over usbNetwork? I tried
-password mama
and it will not connect
Old 05-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #147
Rockets00
Connoisseur

KEY_VPLUS = 115
KEY_VMINUS = 114
KEY_MENU = 139
KEY_BACK = 91
are not used at all.
Am I right?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #148
mrevent
Zealot
mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.mrevent knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: kindle 3w, dxg, 5, Kv
Thanks for the tip on large mouse pointer in Windows. I discovered thereafter that "Universal Access Preferences" in Mac does the same (much better than the "Highlighter application" in my previous post).

By the way, did someone more experienced than me work on keyboard integration for Mac? Currently, the "alt" key in Kindle is mapped to Command etc and I could not find the way to change key assignment (for normal keys it's easy; I failed in changing the assignments for function keys --shift, command, alt etc.)

I hope that with a good keyboard integration + "Mouse Keys" one can wholly control the computer from within Kindle. (assigning joystick controller moves to mouse moves would be great, for instance)

@ Rockets00: password works for me to connect to "Vine Server" in Mac via telnet. I use this command: /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh -password mama 192.168.2.1 &

Last edited by mrevent; 05-16-2012 at 10:32 PM.
mrevent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #149
sunnydev
sunnydev is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
FYI:
For those with Raspberry Pi and archlinuarm the usbnet fires straight up with:
#ifconfig usb0 192.168.2.1 up

I just need to figure out the x config start up for the best display on the Kindle.
Any suggestions?
sunnydev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #150
hawhill
Wizard

Errrm, something like the xinit command line mentioned in the OP? :-)

Nice idea to use a Raspi plus the Kindle. Makes a compact but nice interface. However, as a desktop platform I don't find this very useful as the Raspi should not really be much faster than the Kindle is. But as a frontend when building stuff with the Raspi, it's certainly nice.

Tags
application, kindle, source, viewer, vnc