Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Wink UNLIMITED LENDING!--Nook responds to Amazon Announcement

NEW YORK, October 26th. Barnes and Noble have again upped the ante. In response to Amazon.com's announcement yesterday offering restricted e-book lending on Kindle devices, Barnes and Noble have introduced a new unlimited book lending feature.

"Amazon have missed the boat," claimed a Barnes and Noble Spokesperson. "Their outdated approach only allows certain enabled e-books to be loaned a single time, for a non-adjustable two-week period of time--even less than can be done with a cheaper, paper-based book. Our new technology, enabled on all Nook versions, enables all of the digital books you own to be shared multiple times, without such restrictions, yet still prevents multiple individuals from unfairly reading the same book at the same time."

Although the sharing technology was not demonstrated due last-minute troubleshooting, an insider described the technique as "actually loaning the physical nook (and all the books on in) to your friend".

In a separate announcement, Macmillan Publishers, Inc.. announced a lawsuit against Barnes and Noble in order in order to restrain this technology from reaching the market. "This illegal and unethical sharing technology will directly harm the ability of our authors to make money from their works," they argued in an open letter to the Internet, raising investor fears that Barnes and Noble may soon be vilified online as Amazon themselves were earlier this year when they attempted to challenge publisher price fixing and collusion by temporarily halting sales of physical books.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Oh, this ought to be good.

Is Macmillan even fighting the restricted sharing?

I hope B&N beats Macmillan, and then Amazon will probably meet the challenge too.

ETA: I wonder how reliable the information is. It would seem to be a pretty big announcement, and one B&N would want published far and wide, but I'm not seeing it reported out there. It is late in the day, though.

Last edited by Piper_; 10-27-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Where did you find the announcement?
I can't find it anywhere but here.
I would expect the net buzzing with the news by now.

There is nothing even on B&N press release page
http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/new...ases_list.html

Last edited by kacir; 10-27-2010 at 05:15 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:14 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Where did you find the announcement?
I can't find it anywhere but here.

Not even on their press release page
http://www.barnesandnobleinc.com/new...ases_list.html
You may wish to read it again:

Quote:
an insider described the technique as "actually loaning the physical nook (and all the books on in) to your friend".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2010, 06:32 AM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Now that's how I like my April fools, in October
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
NEW YORK, October 26th. Barnes and Noble have again upped the ante. In response to Amazon.com's announcement yesterday offering restricted e-book lending on Kindle devices, Barnes and Noble have introduced a new unlimited book lending feature.

"Amazon have missed the boat," claimed a Barnes and Noble Spokesperson. "Their outdated approach only allows certain enabled e-books to be loaned a single time, for a non-adjustable two-week period of time--even less than can be done with a cheaper, paper-based book. Our new technology, enabled on all Nook versions, enables all of the digital books you own to be shared multiple times, without such restrictions, yet still prevents multiple individuals from unfairly reading the same book at the same time."

Although the sharing technology was not demonstrated due last-minute troubleshooting, an insider described the technique as "actually loaning the physical nook (and all the books on in) to your friend".

In a separate announcement, Macmillan Publishers, Inc.. announced a lawsuit against Barnes and Noble in order in order to restrain this technology from reaching the market. "This illegal and unethical sharing technology will directly harm the ability of our authors to make money from their works," they argued in an open letter to the Internet, raising investor fears that Barnes and Noble may soon be vilified online as Amazon themselves were earlier this year when they attempted to challenge publisher price fixing and collusion by temporarily halting sales of physical books.
That is a beautiful thing for B&N to attempt. And great that Macmillan is suing ONLY B&N so if B&N wins then Amazon can implement the same policy.

One thing I would say in defense of the authors, printed books have one built in limitation which does not exist for ebooks....they wear out. So, I do see the publishers having a reasonable argument here. I do see the point of some sort of limitation on lending as even the only to one user at a time policy does not take into account a book being lent 100's of times, a thing, I would add, greatly increased the likelihood of lending ebooks because there is zero chance it would not be "retuned".
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm pretty sure Amazon has already implemented the same technology. I did the unlimited loaning thing with my old K2 just the other day and let a neighbor take it with her to the hospital while her husband was having outpatient surgery.

I think they just rolled that "function" out more quietly. Maybe they still consider it to be one of those experimental functions.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
That is a beautiful thing for B&N to attempt. And great that Macmillan is suing ONLY B&N so if B&N wins then Amazon can implement the same policy.

One thing I would say in defense of the authors, printed books have one built in limitation which does not exist for ebooks....they wear out. So, I do see the publishers having a reasonable argument here. I do see the point of some sort of limitation on lending as even the only to one user at a time policy does not take into account a book being lent 100's of times, a thing, I would add, greatly increased the likelihood of lending ebooks because there is zero chance it would not be "retuned".
Bah! Rubbish! New technology, new sharing policies! It's like the music reproducibility thing (when the gramaphone started)... multiple copies = horror!. I think that if this works for B&N it would be "revolutionary!" (dons his turtle neck shirt) =P. Sharing and lending ... illegal and unethical? They should start suing libraries then. They even go the extra mile to guarantee that no two persons can read the book at the same time. I label that as extra-nice fair.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
R. Reed
Enthusiast
R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.R. Reed writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle
Latest development! Sony, Bookeen, Kobo, and every other ereader ever made have adopted the "lend your whole ereader" technology!
R. Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
This "sharing technology" has been around since books were invented! lol
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #13
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
Publishers may as well get ready because ebooks are here to stay. As for the "unlimited" lending I'm sure just like "unlimited" calling plans there's a catch. Also what about used books aren't they just as bad as this unlimited lending thing since the author does not get a dime from their sale. So why not try and ban them as well since publishers seem to be worried about profit. I hope B&N wins besides it's silly to think that B&N would allow TRUE unlimited lending because they'd be hurting themselves in the long run if they did.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
JLeighs
Addict
JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLeighs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
"Amazon have missed the boat," claimed a Barnes and Noble Spokesperson. "Their outdated approach only allows certain enabled e-books to be loaned a single time, for a non-adjustable two-week period of time--even less than can be done with a cheaper, paper-based book.
Wasn't that the same "outdated approach" Barnes and Noble used until yesterday? Or am I mistaken?
JLeighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:28 AM   #15
Avarwen
Connoisseur
Avarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of lightAvarwen is a glorious beacon of light

Device: EZ_ Reader, Nook wifi, Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeighs View Post
Wasn't that the same "outdated approach" Barnes and Noble used until yesterday? Or am I mistaken?
Yep B&N pulled a Steve Jobs.
Avarwen is offline   Reply With Quote