Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-04-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
fredb
fredb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Kindle 3, iRex DR800
Changing Fonts on DR800S

Hello,

I am very interested by the DR800S. I want a reader able to read pdf but not as bulky as the Kindle DX.

But, I would like to know if it is possible to change the default fonts like it can be done with the kindle (with a hack). I indeed want a bolder font than the default one ( I particularly like the kindle 3 default fonts).

Thanks.
fredb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #2
fredb

No answer ?
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Device: Iliad v2, DR800S (inlove)
Hi, it is possible. As I remember you will need to
1) install a new font to /usr/share/fonts if required,
2) change the /usr/share/ctb/ctb.rc. font_name is your friend there.

Surely a proper script+.desktop would do the job. Or Midnight Commander if you are brave enough
dima_tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Another way to approach this is that you can embed fonts within a PDF file. For most of the stuff I read on my DR800, I modify the PDF and can set any font/size/bold... etc that I want. Obviously that doesn't work with DRM content, but if you have access to the content, it gives you more control without having to worry about installing additional fonts on the device itself.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
fredb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Another way to approach this is that you can embed fonts within a PDF file. For most of the stuff I read on my DR800, I modify the PDF and can set any font/size/bold... etc that I want. Obviously that doesn't work with DRM content, but if you have access to the content, it gives you more control without having to worry about installing additional fonts on the device itself.
That is indeed a nice approach . I will try it as soon as I receive the reader.

Thank you.
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 08:20 PM   #6
eKalamos
eKalamos began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800
Installing Midnight Commander, adding fonts and using them in FBReader is also a very easy process, but that's for .epub files.
eKalamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
fredb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eKalamos View Post
Installing Midnight Commander, adding fonts and using them in FBReader is also a very easy process, but that's for .epub files.
That would be also very interesting. But, I am a real beginner here. Is there any place where all this is explained in details ? Do I really need to install fbreader because I would like to only use the native reader of the DR800 ?
Old 10-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
eKalamos
eKalamos began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800
fredb, you should really try FBReader, it's great and offers lots of options. I too was skeptical at first because at the beginning, it's far less pretty than the default reader. However, once you go to Preferences, where you are able to fine-tune it exactly as you like, you'll see that it can be better than the default reader if you like being able to customize the way your books are displayed.

For instance, FBReader allows for setting the four margins exactly as you like, display your text in bold or italic font, change the way the titles are displayed, change the space between the lines to compress or expand text, offers far more text sizes than just the four options of the default reader, etc. !

Not all options are useful but surely among all of them you'll find some that'll make you think "this app is great !". Plus, FBReader can interact with some other apps out there, most notably StarDict (dictionary app).

So you should really, really give it a try. It doesn't cost anything and having FBReader on your SDCard to use it occasionnally does not in any way prevent you to still use the default reader.
eKalamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
fredb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eKalamos View Post
fredb, you should really try FBReader, it's great and offers lots of options. I too was skeptical at first because at the beginning, it's far less pretty than the default reader. However, once you go to Preferences, where you are able to fine-tune it exactly as you like, you'll see that it can be better than the default reader if you like being able to customize the way your books are displayed.

For instance, FBReader allows for setting the four margins exactly as you like, display your text in bold or italic font, change the way the titles are displayed, change the space between the lines to compress or expand text, offers far more text sizes than just the four options of the default reader, etc. !

Not all options are useful but surely among all of them you'll find some that'll make you think "this app is great !". Plus, FBReader can interact with some other apps out there, most notably StarDict (dictionary app).

So you should really, really give it a try. It doesn't cost anything and having FBReader on your SDCard to use it occasionnally does not in any way prevent you to still use the default reader.
Yes, I understand that fbreader is a good app.
But, I would like to have Caecilia Fonts as the basic fonts for my reader (I really love it on the kindle 3).
But, as a real beginner, I don't understand how to do it. With the kindle it is very easy because some people have created programs to change fonts. With the DR800, I haven't seen anything similar.

So, what is midnight commander and how to use it to change the fonts ?

Please help me .
Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
dima_tr
Groupie
dima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-booksdima_tr has learned how to read e-books

Some time ago I've created a simple script doing font installation. Do not have it at hand for it's on my home laptop. This evening I'll post the script along with the instructions.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM   #11
fredb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
Some time ago I've created a simple script doing font installation. Do not have it at hand for it's on my home laptop. This evening I'll post the script along with the instructions.
Super

Thanks a lot for your help
Old 10-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
dima_tr
Groupie

Here's a small utility to install new fonts onto your DR**.

- connect to PC
- Unpack to sdcard, you'll have <sdcard>/Programs/Fonts/
- put inside Fonts/_fonts/ your set(s) of ttf files. One set is usually 4 files.
- Eject DR device from PC

On the DR browse to <sdcard>/Programs/Fonts and run "Install Fonts". The files will be copied to /usr/share/fonts/ , then reindexed and DR will restart.

After this your new font is selectable in FBReader.
Personally I prefer Georgia font.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip installFonts.zip (1.4 KB, 411 views)

Last edited by dima_tr; 10-12-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
fredb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dima_tr View Post
Here's a small utility to install new fonts onto your DR**.

- connect to PC
- Unpack to sdcard, you'll have <sdcard>/Programs/Fonts/
- put inside Fonts/_fonts/ your set(s) of ttf files. One set is usually 4 files.
- Eject DR device from PC

On the DR browse to <sdcard>/Programs/Fonts and run "Install Fonts". The files will be copied to /usr/share/fonts/ , then reindexed and DR will restart.

After this your new font is selectable in FBReader.
Personally I prefer Georgia font.

Enjoy!
Thanks a lot. I receive my reader tomorrow and I can't wait trying this .
Old 10-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
fredb

That's done ! I succeeded to install Caecilia font on Fbreader.
But, I am not convinced by the result. Maybe, as you said, Georgia font would be better.

So I tried to install Georgia font (erasing Caecilia and adding Georgia on your program) but that doesn't work ! I still have Caecilia on Fbreader and can't see Georgia
Old 10-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #15
dima_tr
Groupie

Same install procedure for Georgia, wait until DR is boot after restart. FBReader, settings, font selection (somewhere in tabs). You should see the font in the combobox. Select and enjoy.