Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-07-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
Sandra Lyons
Sandra Lyons began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Question Error Message

Hi, Never been on a forum before and hope someone can help? When I launch Reader Library a message comes up 'invALID TYPE'. wHEN i PLUG IN MY sONY TO THE COMPUTER IT COMES UP 'wINDOWS - NO DISC' and instead of showing my reader on the screen it says error and then starts to sync! Last sync went for 6 hours and then I couldn't eject the reader the computer kept telling me to try later??? Aaarghhh. I am completely computer illiterate btw and the reader works perfectly when I am not connected to the computer. Any ideas please?
Sandra Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Relax ... we don't bite. Well, I do, but everyone else here is really nice. And I don't bite that hard.

Since you're new to this forum thing, I'll give you the executive summary of how to ask a question so you get the best answer in the fastest time, and then throw a bunch of questions in your general direction:

You need to explain what the problem is, describe the environment in which it occurs, and tell us what steps you have already taken to diagnose or resolve it. (thankfully, you don't need my whole rant about netiquette, stupid thread titles, and so on, since you seem to have that part down already)

Explain what the problem is: Looks like you've given us a good start on that, although you might want to edit your post to fix that caps lock issue. What is giving you the "Invalid Type" error message -- the Reader Library? What is giving you the "Windows - no disc" message? The exact text of the error messages might also be useful.

Describe the environment in which it occurs: You said you're using Windows, but which flavor? What version of the Reader Library are you running? Is the "Invalid Type" error message coming up when the 505 is connected to the computer, or before you plug its USB cable in? Does Sony's software auto-run when you connect the 505? Do you have an SD card or MS card in the 505?

Tell us what steps you have already taken: It seems that you've tried letting the sync complete, and after 6 hours it still hadn't finished, correct? What other things have you tried, and what happened when you tried them?

Can you see the 505 through Windows itself (look at its files, that is)? Do you also use calibre, and if so, can calibre see the 505 or not? Have you tested your 505 on different USB ports on the computer? On a different computer? With a different USB cable?

Yes, that's a pile of questions, but with computers, as with anything, the more information we have to start with, the easier it is to figure out what's wrong.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Can you navigate to the Reader's disks using Windows Explorer?
Is this a new install of the Reader software?
When you plug it in, does Windows show the device in the tray manager?

Have you tried resetting the device? Use the pin hole in the back and then slide the power switch. You'd be suprised how many ills this cures.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Sandra Lyons

Error Message

Hi Guys! Thank you very much for your responses, however - they are chinese to me (computer illiterate). I have spoken to my aunt who is a silver surfer and she has connected and looked at your replies and 'No' I cannot navigate via windows? When I plug in my device via usb the following message comes up 'WINDOWS - NO DISC (with a big red cross)! Please insert a disc into the drive (followed by 4 rows of ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????)

I have used my Ereader successfully for 6 months and this only happened yesterday. I have installed, uninstalled, re-set the device and my aunt suggested that maybe my windows system files are corrupt?? (Whatever that means)?? My aunt also asked me if the Sony PRS-505 needs a 'driver' - don't know what that means either. Your messages are lovely, lovely, lovely and I am frustrated that I don't understand them.......Aarrghhhhhh! XXXX
PS. I am the 46 year old single mother of a severely handicapped child and I work 60 hours per week and when I am home to phone Sony - they are closed!!!!! Am desperate (violins out now - only joking)!!! I am humbled by your assistance and will be a big fan of forums in future and will stop waffling and get to the point!
Old 06-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Sandra Lyons

Smile Error message.

Hey! Just re-read your help messages again and forgot to say that I am not being rude - I don't understand the questions about versions, windows? and what on earth is calibre????? I really am COMPUTER ILLITERATE (fixed my caps locks problem) hehe. I sell Carpet Tiles for a living!!!!! Can you tell me the yearn and fibre construction of Palette 2000 Fibre Bonded nylon carpet tiles? No.....didn't think so. I feel totally useless but if you ever need FREE carpet - give me a shout!!!!! (frustrated in Essex needing to go on a computer course)! xxxxx
Old 06-07-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're using anything, whether it's a computer or a car -- or a carpet ! -- it's important to understand what it's about and how to use it, and at least the basic terminology required to discuss it with the experts. I don't know the yarn and fiber construction of Palette 2000 Fibre Bonded nylon carpet tiles, true, because I've never needed any, but you'd better bet that if I showed up in your store to buy some, I'd have read up enough on the subject to understand what you're telling me about them.

Here in MobileRead, we are a bunch of ebook readers and sometimes computer geeks. What we're not, however, is mind readers or miracle workers. We can't rub our crystal balls and figure out what's wrong with your Sony Reader and/or computer. The only way we can tell you what's wrong is to put together all the information we have about the symptoms of the problem, and the only way we can get that information is to ask you.

Imagine you had someone who wanted to buy some carpet. You ask them how many square yards they need, and they don't know; they don't even know how to measure their room. You ask them what kind of use it's going to have -- will it be in the parlor that must be just for show because nobody ever goes in there, or in the playroom used by five kids and a dog? They're not sure of that either; maybe one or the other, or maybe the back hall. You ask them what color the room is, and whether they want to match it or contrast, and they say they're monochromatic color-blind and have no idea what color it is, but they don't want it to look bad to their friends. Right about this point, you'll probably be thankful that everything in a carpet store has carpet samples all over it, because you'll be banging your head on one of them.

Just like you need to know things about someone's carpet needs before you can even start on suggesting the right kind of carpet for them, we need to know things about your computer, your ebook reader, and the errors you're getting before we can start suggesting what might be wrong and how to fix it.

We're not trying to be confusing -- this is information we need, or we're in the realm of crystal balls and tea leaves when it comes to figuring out what the heck has gone wrong. We want to give you answers, but not only can't we give you valid answers without the necessary information, but if you are as inexperienced with computers as you say, we can't even give you lists of things to try, as we would with a more experienced user. We need to know what we're dealing with to tell you how to fix it, and we need the information mentioned earlier to start forming educated guesses at what the problem is.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Sandra Lyons

Thumbs up Error Message

Dear curmudgeon,

Do you know, I learned a lot in the last two days. First one is that your response to me is the best bit of advice that I have ever been given - (seriously)!!!!! and I will accept your very gentle 'slap on the wrist' because it is well deserved! My computer is now being upgraded to Windows 7 (it was XP Professional) you interested me enough to even find that out! My windows files are corrupt (on XP) so not an EReader problem at all and I was stimulated by you(haven't done any work that I am paid for today) to go off and try to learn something. Last night I discovered what a card reader is (never heard of one before) and bought one today, came home and worked it out myself with determination and no instructions and have transferred 400 new books to my device. This is seriously an achievement - can be compared with giving a 1 year old a lego set and expecting them to build a house! I am now the UK's biggest fan of forums thanks to you and another thing I learned (guessed) is that you are across the pond (USA) and if you are Canadian????Forgive me! There was one simple clue in your reply to me! Can't thank you enough - you are a scholar and a gentleman (as we say in London). xxx
Old 06-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Congratulations! You're getting the hang of it. Computers are tools, and like any tool, they're force multipliers. Just as a hammer multiplies the power of your hand (imagine trying to push nails into wood!), a computer multiplies the power of your mind. The more you find out, the more you can do, and the more interesting it gets.

It sounds like your problem was what we call "Windows rot" -- a slow degradation that takes place over time, usually as the result of incompatible software patches, adding and removing programs, and general-purpose crud build-up. I'm fairly sure the phase of the moon and the price of tea in China are part of it, too, because they seem to be the only things that correlate with some of the weird problems I've had over the years.

You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you'd never heard of calibre. It's a free, open-source ebook library management program. It makes organizing your ebooks much more convenient (and, unlike Sony's software, doesn't crash at inopportune moments). I'm not sure what I'd do without it (aside from swear a lot). You can find out more about it on the calibre website, and its support forum is right down the list a ways here on MobileRead.

Um, what if I'm not Canadian? Shouldn't you be apologizing to me for offering an apology in case I was Canadian, eh?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Sandra Lyons

Lightbulb Error message

Hey Curmudgeon, I have learned over the years that Canadians are really offended if you ask them if they are American? Doesn't seem to happen the other way round!!!!! Guess you are American (yardage) gave it away - we went metric in the 70's and I work for a HUGE American Company which confuses matters even more! Buildings are let (rented) by the square foot but floor space is quoted in metric - every road sign in the UK is in miles but we measure in metres? Hey - the world is crazy - work it out? I bought Windows 7 for Dummies this evening and can't wait until it arrives! Will sure take a look at calibre and apologies for the apology on not being Canadian tehehe.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

I wasn't sure exactly where you were, so I went with yards. I swing both ways. I generally try to use whatever I think my audience prefers. Well, except when I use both in the same sentence, which makes people from everywhere want to hit me.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:47 AM   #11
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Thank you both for such an entertaining thread. + karma for you Sandra, and as soon as I can add to you again, Worldwalker I will do so.

This thread is a prime example as to why I like Mobileread so much.
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
Sandra Lyons

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thafrogggg View Post
Thank you both for such an entertaining thread. + karma for you Sandra, and as soon as I can add to you again, Worldwalker I will do so.

This thread is a prime example as to why I like Mobileread so much.
Thank you all for your help! I am all sorted xxx