Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #1036
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Ixtab,
About the hyphenation, I have realized that my corrections also bring some unconveniences: the no-hyphenization of certain words. You may, please, roll back to the all-original hyphenation file for portuguese, even if it is not perfect (as you say, if there is not a dictionary, it can't be perfect).

Thanks!
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #1037
ivar
ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: kindle touch, pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Now RTFM, changed to 0, saved, restarted, back to 20 (that what I manually changed them)
I thinked that I must more hardly but
It not problem for me

Anyway big thanks and now, when dictionary patch for PW exist started to thinking about PW

Sorry, my bad english
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #1038
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
Ixtab,
About the hyphenation, I have realized that my corrections also bring some unconveniences: the no-hyphenization of certain words. You may, please, roll back to the all-original hyphenation file for portuguese, even if it is not perfect (as you say, if there is not a dictionary, it can't be perfect).

Thanks!
Hmmm... so you're saying, reset the pt localization to the initial version? Well ok, if you say so...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #1039
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Hope everyone is helping keep ixtab supplied with beer. Thanks so much for the dictionary patch! Works great!
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #1040
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Smile

Quote:
Hmmm... so you're saying, reset the pt localization to the initial version? Well ok, if you say so...
Unfortunately, that is the case. It is better to have a little imperfection than not having some hyphenation (and I don't know how/if it is possible to do the thing other than by a clunky word-by-word basis).

To explain, in portuguese the syllables for these words are:
"quin-ta"
"qui-na"

The original hyphenation file makes it:
"qu-in-ta"

My correction adressed it and makes the right "quin-ta", but then it also does not allow the hyphen of "quina".

Well, that's it. Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but I prefer the original, even with that little flaw. I'll let everybody know if I discover something.

Last edited by Antoinekamel; 01-05-2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Modified the example.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #1041
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Glitch in font size patch

There's a weird problem with the reader font size patch on my kindle touch.

It works perfectly with any font size for "old" mobi format books.

Setting font size to 15 does not work with .azw3 book (while 14 or 16 is OK).
I cant' figure out why!
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #1042
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post

I cant' figure out why!
Because the size is embedded in the format perhaps?? I am not sure TBH

Perhaps a conversion thru calibre to an older format would fix it up.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #1043
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirl8 View Post

I cant' figure out why!
The .azw3 files display is handled by a native application (webreader), not in Java, so I cannot really control what is happening there. That is also the reason why the hyphenation patch doesn't work for .azw3 files.

That said, what do you mean by "does not work"? Does it crash the device? Does it display naked women? Does it show nothing at all?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #1044
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
Quote:
That said, what do you mean by "does not work"? Does it crash the device? Does it display naked women? Does it show nothing at all?
A naked woman, of course. ;-)

There's no crash.

It simply does not change the font size to 15. If it was 14 it remains 14. If it was 16 it remains 16. And you can keep reading.

If you close the book when the font is set to 15, when you open it again the font is set to the largest.

It seems like the webreader app simply does not like 15 as a font size. Weird.

@twobob

The font was set to 1em. I've tried with a very simple azw3 which I attached. There's just text, no CSS. Same weird behaviour.
Attached Files
File Type: zip lorem ipsum.zip (150.5 KB, 335 views)

Last edited by pirl8; 01-06-2013 at 01:34 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #1045
ixtab
(offline)

Version 3.1.0

So, here's version 3.1.0 - both for the Touch, and for the Paperwhite.

This version now includes all available Paperwhite patches, and a few (small) improvements affecting the framework itself, and the overhauled patches.

In one sentence: whether you use JBPatch on the Touch or on the PW: update to 3.1.0
Old 01-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #1046
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Tests as fine on the Touch.

err. edit: no I see the problem...

neither 10 nor 15 work as sizes. oddness.. I wonder if 5 and 20 would be affected.. will go have a play.

right...tried to some abusive sizes... added some screenie info...

IIRC the tiny ones dont work (old post a squillion years ago?)

but meh, some info
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TightVNC: kindle:0.0_100.png
Views:	590
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	98938   Click image for larger version

Name:	What-Didnt-Fly.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	98939  

Last edited by twobob; 01-06-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #1047
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
So, here's version 3.1.0 - both for the Touch, and for the Paperwhite.

This version now includes all available Paperwhite patches, and a few (small) improvements affecting the framework itself, and the overhauled patches.

In one sentence: whether you use JBPatch on the Touch or on the PW: update to 3.1.0
Yay works good. Upgraded from 3.0.0 and it even remembered all the settings. The first time I opened a book it showed an error message. Try again, good. It was that same error message you get when you try to start an invalid app. Works now, so all good.

edit: The error was on PW, so not sure if that matters.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-06-2013 at 04:56 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #1048
ivar
ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.ivar holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: kindle touch, pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Yay works good. Upgraded from 3.0.0 and it even remembered all the settings. The first time I opened a book it showed an error message. Try again, good. It was that same error message you get when you try to start an invalid app. Works now, so all good.

edit: The error was on PW, so not sure if that matters.
Got same error, but KT and with version 3.0.0
After clean install 3.0.0 copied new com.mobileread.ixtab.patch.dictionaries.jar (pre 3.1.0), then (I'm not restarted my devise) used dictionary lookup -> more -> back button -> error. It appears only one time and after that, not get that error (tryed repeat) anymore. Book was azw3 and same what give me "download again" error previously, when margin patch was active.

Sorry, my bad english
ivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #1049
ixtab
(offline)

FWIW, I also got a similar error "the content could not be opened" or so right after updating my Kindle Touch to version 3.1.0. Rebooting the device seems to have fixed that, too, and it never reappeared.

As hard as I try, I can't come up with an explanation, let alone a solution. JBPatch patches do exactly one thing: modify java bytecode after it was read from a file, but before it is actually interpreted as bytecode by the JVM. These modifications are deterministic - either they don't happen at all, or they happen in the exact same way, every time. In other words: if a patch was the culprit, then it would either fuck up every time, or never.

The only thing that I can think of which might influence the whole procedure (attention: wild speculations ahead!) is the /var/local/java/default folder, which seems to contain cached(?) copies of some java classes. I never figured out what that folder is good for. And the Java VM that the Kindles use seems to be closed source, i.e., cvm isn't documented (AFAIK; but I dimly recall that either twobob or knc1 had at least a bit more insight into where it comes from).

Continuing with the wild speculation: it might be that the VM tries to use a cached class together with a "newly patched" one. And it might be that a restart (or actually, a crash which is noticed by whatever caches things, and then tells the cache to empty itself for the next reboot) fixes these issues.

I don't know... I honestly don't know what the Kindles are doing. All that I know is that the JBPatch framework, and the individual patches which are released, are 100% compliant with the JVM specification, and correctly do what they're supposed to do. Why the framework around them is crashing is beyond me.

Sad but true: the "Windows approach" seems to help - "If it doesn't work, reboot. If it still doesn't work, reboot again."
Old 01-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #1050
twobob

For my part. I fully concur with that.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks