Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

Black screen of death encountered

My Kobo Touch was at appx. 90% battery charge when I suddenly encountered a black screen that stated the battery was too low and that I needed to plug it into the charger.

Background: The battery on my Kobo Touch has always seemed to discharge rather fast, though I never reported this. I can fully charge it and read appx. Two hours and it will be down to between 80-90%. I expect that with my iPad, but it seems a bit too fast of a discharge with my Kobo Touch.

What happened: I wanted to see if I could download the Washington Post so I went to the Kobo Store. My Kobo Touch didn't want to connect to the WiFi. (Side note, I've consistently had trouble with my Kobo Touch taking for ever to wakeup the WiFi connection. I'm not using Airplane Mode so I'm assuming it puts itself into sleep mode. Anyway it finally awoke and I connected to the Store. The Store front is lacking BTW as I could not find any magazine or newspaper sections. It looks rather primitive.) I did a search for Washington Post and it returned everything but that--mostly unrelated novels that contained neither "Washington" nor "Post" in the title. As I was trying to page through the search returned items the Kobo Touch started acting extremely sluggish then suddenly the Black Screen of Death occurred. I slid the Power button to the right and the Kobo Touch turned itself on and shows the battery level at appx. 90% just like it was prior to the crash. So far it continues to work well but I'm staying out of the store for now!

Last edited by jswinden; 07-09-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Your battery behaviour sounds a bit suspect but pleased you got it working again.

I had a similar experience today too. I received a battery low warning and within a couple of seconds the screen went solid black with no message at all. I plugged it in to a USB port - no response, still a black screen and not detected by windows or ADE. I started to worry about as I couldn't get any response out of it - even the slider on/off did nothing, removing it from the USB, trying another one - nothing, a dead kobo.

But I decided to try a wall charger - which fixed everything. I got the pretty message saying my kobo was charging, it charged for a few hours and everything seems normal again. I just assumed that because the battery went so flat it wasn't even capable of charging through USB and needed more juice from AC power (no science in that statement at all!). So I am not going to let it go flat again, I don't like the black screen at all.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post
Your battery behaviour sounds a bit suspect but pleased you got it working again.

I had a similar experience today too. I received a battery low warning and within a couple of seconds the screen went solid black with no message at all. I plugged it in to a USB port - no response, still a black screen and not detected by windows or ADE. I started to worry about as I couldn't get any response out of it - even the slider on/off did nothing, removing it from the USB, trying another one - nothing, a dead kobo.

But I decided to try a wall charger - which fixed everything. I got the pretty message saying my kobo was charging, it charged for a few hours and everything seems normal again. I just assumed that because the battery went so flat it wasn't even capable of charging through USB and needed more juice from AC power (no science in that statement at all!). So I am not going to let it go flat again, I don't like the black screen at all.
Im curious about this. What version of the fw are you using? I assume its 1.9.5

That said maybe the Kobo Dudes can respond?

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post

regards

jack
At the time of the incident it was the released version of 1.9.5. I've since installed a beta version for testing purposes.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

regards

jack
Yes, mine is 1.9.5 too.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #6
Joywalker
Enthusiast
Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwipippa View Post

I was busy for past 3 days so I didn't check my Kobo until now.I'm having the black screen of death! Charging with my laptop now but there's no msg on screen. I don't have a wall charger. What can I do next??
Joywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joywalker View Post
I was busy for past 3 days so I didn't check my Kobo until now.I'm having the black screen of death! Charging with my laptop now but there's no msg on screen. I don't have a wall charger. What can I do next??
Try to power-on your reader using the slider and if that doesn't work push the slider and hold for about 10 seconds. In none of this works, wait until the reader is fully charged and try again.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Joywalker
Enthusiast
Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Joywalker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
Try to power-on your reader using the slider and if that doesn't work push the slider and hold for about 10 seconds. In none of this works, wait until the reader is fully charged and try again.
Thanks Joe, I tried the slider method but all it shows was a white screen.As you suggested,I'm going to wait till it's fully charged before I try it again. If only I knew such things would happen, I would have never let it run out of battery in the first place!! Making me anxious & panicky!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Thanks Joe, I tried the slider method but all it shows was a white screen.As you suggested,I'm going to wait till it's fully charged before I try it again. If only I knew such things would happen, I would have never let it run out of battery in the first place!! Making me anxious & panicky!
A white screen is a good sign since that is the first part of the power-on sequence. It looks like your reader does not have enough of a charge to complete the sequence. So try again when the reader is fully charged. i.e. when the LED turns green.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
Joywalker
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
A white screen is a good sign since that is the first part of the power-on sequence. It looks like your reader does not have enough of a charge to complete the sequence. So try again when the reader is fully charged. i.e. when the LED turns green.
It's working!!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
kiwipippa
Fanatic

Quote:
It's working!!
Pleased to hear it's working again. Based on your experience, if I'd left mine long enough in the USB port it hopefully would have charged as well rather than stay black.

But I'm not going to let it get low enough again to find out if this is the case.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

There seems to be two completely different issues here. My black screen of death occurred when the battery was actually at 90% charge, and the KT actually started by sliding the power switch. After which it again registered as 90% charged. To date this anomaly has not recurred.

The other issues you guys listed seem to be related to the battery legitimately being too low to run the reader.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
There seems to be two completely different issues here. My black screen of death occurred when the battery was actually at 90% charge, and the KT actually started by sliding the power switch. After which it again registered as 90% charged. To date this anomaly has not recurred.

The other issues you guys listed seem to be related to the battery legitimately being too low to run the reader.
I dont know if you can comment. But how is the Beta test going? Is it going to be revolutionary?

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I dont know if you can comment. But how is the Beta test going? Is it going to be revolutionary?

regards

jack
We aren't supposed to comment, at least on specifics. I will say it is going well and I remain happy that Kobo is so willing to make improvements and listen to customers.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
...Is it going to be revolutionary?

Isn't that reserved for Apple?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote