Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2016, 08:02 PM   #76
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
OK, I'm holding you personally responsible for the 5 minutes out of my life that it took me to get through that that I'm never getting back . I should have stopped after the 1st para or even the 2nd but as bad as it was I couldn't stop myself. Must be a pretty neat trick manufacturing trick to solder an SD CARD onto a circuit board
I avoided it. Thanks for the heads up.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:18 PM   #77
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
In the review near the end however I do see some particularly prominant light cones at the bottom of the display. I dont mind so much as most ereaders have these and they are at least symmetrical and dont impinge on the reading experience, and are at least horizontal (unlike the Oasis).
The number 1 thing for me is that colour uniformity and at the end of the video there is actually quite a distinct gradient from top to bottom where it goes from warm to cool which concerns me - and the gradient disappears when you enhance the filter. I'll probably be reading on the 'night mode' all the time as I stare at screens all day long and every time I get a chance to use blue-light filters I do because it really does seem to reduce fatigue.
Though youtube videos are not the best at judging gradients so I'll have to wait til I see mine in person... and the Badereaders never ever pick up on them... but based on the responses here I'm a lot more positive - ain't nobody as hyper-critical of Ereader frontlights as a mobilereads member...

Last edited by cerem0ny; 08-31-2016 at 08:29 PM.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 PM   #78
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
That's it, thanks!

What other device uses 00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000373 for upgrade checks?
None. In Kobo's checks, that means "Aura One". My comment about "unique" is that the serial number identifies the specific device. Depending on exactly how Kobo uses it, this could be used by someone for "nefarious purposes". The rest of the info in the file will be the same for every Aura One. The only other difference between devices might be the firmware version number.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:20 PM   #79
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
In the review near the end however I do see some particularly prominant light cones at the bottom of the display. I dont mind so much as most ereaders have these and they are at least symmetrical and dont impinge on the reading experience, and are at least horizontal (unlike the Oasis).
The number 1 thing for me is that colour uniformity and at the end of the video there is actually quite a distinct gradient from top to bottom where it goes from warm to cool which concerns me - and the gradient disappears when you enhance the filter. I'll probably be reading on the 'night mode' all the time as I stare at screens all day long and every time I get a chance to use blue-light filters I do because it really does seem to reduce fatigue.
Though youtube videos are not the best at judging gradients so I'll have to wait til I see mine in person... and the Badereaders never ever pick up on them... but based on the responses here I'm a lot more positive - ain't nobody as hyper-critical of Ereader frontlights as a mobilereads member...
I only noticed the gradient when I had the red turned up all the way.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:24 PM   #80
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Chapters ... $249 ... Kobo ..... $229 = $20 MORE

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-one

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...7240-item.html

Links Prove what I am saying..
Chapters price is CAN $ not US $. with the exchange rate I saved $38.00 ordering it in the US and having it shipped to my house.
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #81
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
Calibre 2.65.1 (windows 64bit) side loading a epub novel.

Error message "warning failed", "kobo database version unsupported"

Details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a factory reset of your Kobo.
Device database version: 127.
Device firmware version: (3, 20, 6894)

Novel does end up on the Aura One.
The short answer is, follow the instructions in the message and everything will be OK. The next calibre release will have the correct firmware version numbers.

The longer answer...

I added the device ids for the Aura One and Aura Edition 2 to the Kobo Touch driver in calibre 2.65.1. This was so that calibre could recognise the devices. At the time, I didn't know what the actual firmware version number would be and there was a small possibility there would be something in the firmware that the driver didn't support and would cause problems. Since then, I have received enough information to know that this is not the case. I still don't know the exact firmware version number, and won't until it is release, but I know that the driver will work with the Aura One with no problems.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:33 PM   #82
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK, I'm holding you personally responsible for the 5 minutes out of my life that it took me to get through that that I'm never getting back . I should have stopped after the 1st para or even the 2nd but as bad as it was I couldn't stop myself. Must be a pretty neat trick manufacturing trick to solder an SD CARD onto a circuit board
Except that it might not be that dumb a thing to do. It would mean repackaging the SD card to be able to fix it to the PCB, but, it means that the rest of the hardware and software doesn't need to treat the storage differently to having a micro SD card slot with a card in it. That might make the overall development cheaper.

I have no idea if that is how it works, but that was my first thought when I saw photos of the insides of the original Aura.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:47 PM   #83
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagepack View Post
LambdaTek. Just checked and its gone, looks like a mistake. Ah well they only sold 5 by last night. (They have a live stock count).
Are major retailers in the UK suppose to be stocking the Aura One next week as the only place i can see that even has a product page for it is kobo's own official website.

The official uk kobo site also doesn't mention a release date besides 'soon',from people's first hand impressions this tablet sound impressive and i want one now!
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:52 PM   #84
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Except that it might not be that dumb a thing to do. It would mean repackaging the SD card to be able to fix it to the PCB, but, it means that the rest of the hardware and software doesn't need to treat the storage differently to having a micro SD card slot with a card in it. That might make the overall development cheaper.

I have no idea if that is how it works, but that was my first thought when I saw photos of the insides of the original Aura.
There is no way the Goodereader twits would be able to come up with that possibility to explain things . I only mentioned that since it was shown in a previous thread that it is soldered eMMC that's actually in the A1.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:27 PM   #85
Lemons
Enthusiast
Lemons began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebradude View Post
Chapters price is CAN $ not US $. with the exchange rate I saved $38.00 ordering it in the US and having it shipped to my house.
That's a pretty good deal thank's. It's almost like getting the sleepcover for free that way.
Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:48 PM   #86
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Chapters ... $249 ... Kobo ..... $229 = $20 MORE

https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-aura-one

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...7240-item.html

Links Prove what I am saying..
Minor nit. The Chapters price is in Canadian dollars. The Kobo price is US dollars. If you purchase the Aura One and the official sleepcover from Chapters, the cost would be $309.98Cdn which at the current exchange rate would be $236.56US. So order from Chapters and get the sleep cover for $6.57US.

Now if I could figure out how selling the Aura One and sleep cover as a bundle for the combined price of the two bought separately is a special offer...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:59 AM   #87
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
Also Badereader just uploaded a new Aura One review! Let's see how many things they manage tl completely gloss over/fail to mention this time.
You post this twice, and then think everybody knows where to find said review?
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:10 AM   #88
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Maybe they've edited it since you posted, but they don't claim the SD card is soldered on any more.

Now they claim it is "grafted" on.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:26 AM   #89
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
You post this twice, and then think everybody knows where to find said review?
Maybe if you ask me nicely I'll send you a link! ;-)

Last edited by cerem0ny; 09-01-2016 at 02:44 AM.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:43 AM   #90
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I've been playing on this when I should have been sleeping, and all in all I'm pleased with the device, and I hope most of the rest will improve with a new F/W, a few charges, and experience.

* The real estate is lovely. I attach photos taken under very low lighting, with the Aura One and the Glo HD light at 40%, so my camera blurred some and didn't do justice to the lighting quality of the One at night, nor to the font sharpness (this has something to do with the fact that there is no way yet to augment the weight of sideloaded fonts, unlike the Glo HD to the right). This is to show bigger is better. Also I liked that Kobo left the number of lines per list, and of tiles per page unchanged, which looks better and is easier on my eyes - they might have taken into consideration the average age of the reader users.

* I don't like the red light, but with or without the pinch of pink I added, the screen at night is very pleasant, specially when compared to the Glo HD, which feels kind of greenish to me now.

* The battery is a problem, which I hope will improve with a few charge cycles: after two hours with 40% lighting, the Wi-Fi on and admittedly a lot of experimenting, it dropped from 100% to 79%. After two more hours without Wi-Fi and more proper reading it dropped to 56%.

* Some PDFs remain unreadable (mostly those Google scans), but others (mainly modern books) have become readable, preferably in good light, just clicking on the width arrow, then tapping like for a kepub.

* I have difficulties with the capacitive layer, even though the good German reviewer said he found it very responsive. Just entering the Wi-Fi parameters was difficult - either it didn't respond, or suddenly there were 3 or 4 characters instead of one. Same problem when tapping, swiping is ok. It might be the fault of my arthritic hands, but I never had a problem with the IR. EDIT: That might also be partly due to how slow the responses are. It feels slower than the Glo HD, even though I had downloaded only a small part of my working library.

* I like the format of the reading list, which looks like the recently read books with a bigger cover and the beginning of the metadata, which covers the info I want.

* I can read one handed with the left hand (I can't with the right one, whose arthritis is worse), though small, probably not for hours, but enough until I change position anyway, and it works better than the Glo HD for me when lying sideways in bed.

* The blue button is perfect: no problem putting the device to sleep or turning it off/on, the last was very difficult for me on the H2O and the Glo HD.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G7X_2053r.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	151315   Click image for larger version

Name:	G7X_2055r.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	151316   Click image for larger version

Name:	G7X_2059r.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	151317  

Last edited by anacreon; 09-01-2016 at 04:12 AM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote