Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #406
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Device: Ebookwise 1150 / 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
So official answer:

FW will be ready end of this week (GiK are optimistical most of the time, so let's say next week to be sure)

pdfviewer will be included
....wasn't the end of the week a couple days ago?

And I don't know if I've seen an answer yet to the repeated question: Is the bluetooth keyboard driver and some sort of text-entry software included in this firware update to come?
guyanonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #407
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
....wasn't the end of the week a couple days ago?

And I don't know if I've seen an answer yet to the repeated question: Is the bluetooth keyboard driver and some sort of text-entry software included in this firware update to come?
Yes, it was. We found a few bugs in the "final firmware" of our new devices and everybody is now killing those bugs. That's why we are a bit late.

Text: I honestly don't know.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:08 PM   #408
guyanonymous
Guru
guyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud ofguyanonymous has much to be proud of

Thanks - I appreciate the response (despite not liking the answer! )

Old 11-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #409
my1cull
my1cull began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
It's been quite interesting and academic following this particular thread. I've learned more here than I could have dreamed in the several days I've been reading through your posts.

Recently, I purchased two PB 360's for my girls. Both are identical in every way, including the books I've put on them, as well as the micro sd card (250 mb) I've put into both.

I've not messed with any of the configuration on either of them, and both came with the 15.2 version of the firmware. We've had both PB's for about three weeks (both came in the mail from the same place, packaged in the same box), and both of my girls read about three to four hours a day.

Interestingly, my older daughter's PB has never had any issues. It has done everything the reviews have said it should do, and I've been extremely excited with all the reading she's doing.

On the other hand, my other daughters PB has had issues from the start. It does about everything wrong that you can think of, accept it's never shut off on it's own. Resets never did anything for it accept take it out of its frozen state.

There were specific books that, for no rhyme or reason, would not open, or display correctly if they did open. Some were epub books, and some were fbreader books.

With all that said, I figured I had two options: Send it back for a replacement, or try out this new 15.3 (beta) firmware.

I opted for the firmware update.

Since then (earlier today), my daughter has been reading for several hours with no issues what-so-ever. All books are opening, no freezes, all pages are turning quickly, etc, etc.

My hope is that this version (15.3 beta) will end up being the one that 'saved the day' for me and my girls. We love to read, and we love the PB. But not so much when your spending more time trying to figure out how to get it to work correctly.

Keep up the posts. I know others that love the PB 360, but some of them are dealing with problems like the ones I shared above. If 15.3 works, there's going to be a whole lot of happy readers out there
my1cull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:03 PM   #410
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by my1cull View Post
Recently, I purchased two PB 360's for my girls. Both are identical in every way, including the books I've put on them, as well as the micro sd card (250 mb) I've put into both.

On the other hand, my other daughters PB has had issues from the start. It does about everything wrong that you can think of, accept it's never shut off on it's own. Resets never did anything for it accept take it out of its frozen state.

There were specific books that, for no rhyme or reason, would not open, or display correctly if they did open. Some were epub books, and some were fbreader books.
This is so interesting to me. Did you check the same books on your older daughter's PB360 to see if she had any problems with those particular books when your other daughter's was playing up?

I had SO many problems with 15.2 and 15.3b has been perfect for me. Absolutely perfect.

So glad to hear that your daughter's reader is working as it should now!
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #411
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
my1cull

Welcome to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #412
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by my1cull View Post
Interestingly, my older daughter's PB has never had any issues. It has done everything the reviews have said it should do, and I've been extremely excited with all the reading she's doing.

There has never been confirmation but I suspect somewhere along the way two different batches of some hardware component made their way into PB360 production. It explains the issues in the field and in the upgrades since the firmware would have to detect and account for the variant hardware.
My first thought was that the hardware issues were in newer models only but since all the new ones don't misbehave its starting to look like the variant batch didn't replace the original but got blended in.
Hopefully there will be a hardware fix.
Someday.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #413
my1cull
my1cull began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
I'm very happy to say that my daughters PB is still working great since the 15.3 update. She hasn't had one freeze, or any other issues after several days and many hours of reading.
my1cull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #414
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
15.3 looks quite stable. Isn't it time to issue the official new firmware (including the pb302 writing app and a decent web browser, working rss, email, etc.)?
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #415
guyanonymous
Guru

I've given up holding my breath - it feels like the 302 is the unloved step-child of the Pocketbook family. My expectations for the writing app and a useable browser are now at zero...which is a shame, because those were the two features that had me buy the device. Without it, the bluetooth and wifi are useless to me. Ah well, live and learn.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #416
krish
Connoisseur
krish began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302, Kindle 3(Wifi), Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyanonymous View Post
I've given up holding my breath - it feels like the 302 is the unloved step-child of the Pocketbook family. My expectations for the writing app and a useable browser are now at zero...which is a shame, because those were the two features that had me buy the device. Without it, the bluetooth and wifi are useless to me. Ah well, live and learn.
It is pity, I agree. I was also hoping for the new release of the firmware for PB302 with atleast the existing bugs solved. With the present situations of all new readers as their priority followed by PB360 & 301 and then 302, I do not expect such final release of the new firmware would be available even within next 2 months, though mtravellerh was optimistic in few posts above that this would be available last week itself. Nothing goes as per schedule in pocketbook planning.
krish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:53 AM   #417
adbosch
Addict
adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adbosch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Pocketbook Color 633
Right. I also bought the 302 in view of the announced writing app and internet. I end up with an expensive device that does not do what I bought it for and with a very mediocre reading screen (in comparison to non touch screens).
I'm afraid that if the pb302 is abandonware that means bye bye Pocketbook to me. Unless of course they do come up with the promised firmware within a reasonable (which is very short) term. Or unless they offer a decent trade-in (replace for free with 603; I would even accept a trade-in against the 602).
Pity, because I did like the possibilities the Pocketbook firmware offers.
Edit november 15: no reaction from PB yet to any of this since the post of guyanonimous and krish on november 12.

Last edited by adbosch; 11-15-2010 at 04:53 PM.
adbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 AM   #418
prusaks
prusaks began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 302
QUESTION TO POCKETBOOK,
Will 302 get the new firmware? I am asking the question again because in recent thread there was a need for beta testers and guess what 302 wasn't on the list. It has been on sale for quite a while but the basic functions are not working.
So, will we get a firmware that will allow us to use its hardware properly? And when?
prusaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #419
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by prusaks View Post
QUESTION TO POCKETBOOK,
Will 302 get the new firmware? I am asking the question again because in recent thread there was a need for beta testers and guess what 302 wasn't on the list. It has been on sale for quite a while but the basic functions are not working.
So, will we get a firmware that will allow us to use its hardware properly? And when?
Yes, 302 will get the new firmware
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:54 AM   #420
Guus
Enthusiast
Guus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enoughGuus will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad 3G 64GB, iriver Story HD, Sony PRS-T1
New FW PB302

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusaks View Post
QUESTION TO POCKETBOOK,
And when?
And when?
Guus is offline   Reply With Quote