Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #121
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
...and they could call it the Rock-it Book 2011, right?

Sure. The thing is due for an update, anyway. I don't require the same hardware, just the same usefulness!

Jetbook1100?

Jetbook 2100?

Jet -- Rocket -- similar...
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:58 PM   #122
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
BomberBook sounds great
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #123
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm looking forward to learning the price of the Mini. The word "Mini" when referring to models refers not only to small size but also to small price. I can't think of an expensive "mini" of anything.

With Newegg dumping its jetBook Lites for $69.99 (and very quickly selling out of them), it's hard to imagine that the Mini would sell for much more come Christmastime unless the Mini has features we don't yet know about.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #124
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
With Newegg dumping its jetBook Lites for $69.99 (and very quickly selling out of them),
I've been checking daily and haven't seen it below $99. Is there a code or something, because I'd jump on that price.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:05 PM   #125
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I'm looking forward to learning the price of the Mini. The word "Mini" when referring to models refers not only to small size but also to small price. I can't think of an expensive "mini" of anything.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #126
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I've been checking daily and haven't seen it below $99. Is there a code or something, because I'd jump on that price.
I'm afraid that Newegg sale lasted only 48 hours as I recall.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #127
dmikov
Addict
dmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-booksdmikov has learned how to read e-books

Device: REB1200; REB2150; Sony 500/350; EZReader; IREX DR800SG; Nook/Color
Well I absolutely loved ergonomics of REB1100 (and other brand names of the same). Holding in one hand from the side is way more comfortable for me then bottom holding. Make me want yet another reader, for trips.
At home it certainly won't move me from my 8.1" Irex.
And btw if it has accelerometer, changing hands shouldn't be a problem at all, not even an e-ink flash, since it's not e-ink.
dmikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #128
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I did a little number crunching comparing lithiums to alkalines and the alkalines still appear to be more economical but I had to make a lot of assumptions so I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Of course, when compared to good rechargeables, I would much rather just carry a few spares. Economically speaking, the worst rechargeable will beat the snot out of the best lithiums.

In theory, 4 AA lithiums should last 160 hours (Energizer claims up to 8x more life over alkalines when used in digital cameras) in a JBL. It would take only 4 to 8 recharges on a set rechargeables that cost about the same as the lithiums to match that. Beyond that, the rechargeables will keep on plugging along while the lithiums would need replacing. I see absolutely no gain with the mini.

Some one posted a Russian demo. There is still a battery bump on the back but it's smaller. There is a depression in the back alongside the bump, apparently to facilitate hanging on to the thing. The other notable thing I noticed was it automatically changed orientation when rotated but couldn't see if it worked on all directions. I only saw landscape with the battery bump on the bottom which would not do for me. This doesn't mean that was the only way landscape is presented.

Frankly, I see no real advantages of the Mini over the Lite for me so far, especially if the present zoom options are eliminated or reduced or landscape has the bump on the bottom (the bump makes a passable "kickstand" when set down on a table). Of course, I have far too little information to work with.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #129
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
If you watch closely, you can see the guy pushes the middle button to switch orientation. Also right before he goes back to the "normal" orientation, he pushes the button twice and you can see it in landscape mode with the bump/buttons at the top.

My question is, does it have any search function? I use the search fairly frequently, and while it isn't a huge issue, I would consider a lack of the search feature to be a negative.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jetBook Mini landscape mode.jpeg
Views:	250
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	57653  

Last edited by MR. Pockets; 09-04-2010 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Grammar
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 PM   #130
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
If you watch closely, you can see the guy pushes the middle button to switch orientation. Also right before he goes back to the "normal" orientation, he pushes the button twice and you can see it in landscape mode with the bump/buttons at the top.

My question is, does it have any search function? I use the search fairly frequently, and while it isn't a huge issue, I would consider a lack of the search to be a negative.
You have better eyes than I do.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #131
Flyingredgoat
Flyingredgoat is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook mini / Handspring Visor
It's here!

Yipee

It's here.

http://www.ectaco.com/jetbook-mini-black/

Winners are those that quoted $100.

frg
Flyingredgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #132
Flyingredgoat

Quote:
Support for LIT, MOBI, EPUB, HTML, PRC, RTF, PDB, PDF via Calibre conversion to TXT and FB2.

O dear. One of the reasons to buy the jetbook was its wide variety of formats. This makes the mini a better deal in my opinion.

Quote:
SD Card expandability up to 2 GB
This seems like a step back, but should still allow for a hefty library.

I wonder if this is the result of the three month design period, in which case the updates will fix these issues; or if this is the result of going low price, in which case it's permanent.

Sigh I was hoping to buy one this year, and now I need to decide if this is the one I want.

frg
Old 09-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #133
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It fits as the Jetbook Lite's little brother, but not as a replacement for the JBL.

Only the two formats is a real step down from what JBL offers.

No DRM support, again we finally have perhaps the best support for current commercial
offerings in the three DRM scams supported by the JBL, so another step down.

2GB SB card support, while plenty for such a device, is again a step down from the 32GB
SDHC support of the JBL.

It is perhaps more the pure portable eReading device. Its smaller size, lighter weight, and lower power consumption outshines the JBL in that regard.

I like it as a basic reader for the kids (especially at its likely eventual street price) or for
a mobile technophobe that I would be willing to support, like a parent or neighbor.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #134
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
On the other hand:

I don't really care about DRM for my reader, as I remove it from all my purchases.

In the process of the above I convert them all into a single format, ePub but it could
just as easily be FB2 or TXT.

2GB is what I am using now with my JBL and still have room with >6000 ebooks on it.

It's pretty small, maybe I could fit one in someplace.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #135
Flyingredgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
It fits as the Jetbook Lite's little brother, but not as a replacement for the JBL.

Only the two formats is a real step down from what JBL offers.

No DRM support, again we finally have perhaps the best support for current commercial
offerings in the three DRM scams supported by the JBL, so another step down.

2GB SB card support, while plenty for such a device, is again a step down from the 32GB
SDHC support of the JBL.

It is perhaps more the pure portable eReading device. Its smaller size, lighter weight, and lower power consumption outshines the JBL in that regard.

I like it as a basic reader for the kids (especially at its likely eventual street price) or for
a mobile technophobe that I would be willing to support, like a parent or neighbor.

Luck;
Ken
I think that for this one time, I'm going to not be the first kid on the block with the new toy. I suspect the mini is going to have some teething problems.

frg

Tags
ectaco, ereader, jetbook, jetbook lite, jetbook mini