Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #16
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
It displays fine in FBReader as well, but not in Sigil. Looks like it gets displayed in your default encoding and not as UTF-8; if I open the HTML directly in Firefox it looks wrong the same way as in EPUBReader and Sigil (and is displayed with Windows-1252 encoding according to FF) and when I then force UTF-8 encoding it looks like it should.

Don't ask me what to actually *do* about it, though :-)
I just dealt with this recently. I will pass on what Valoric (Sigil guy) told me to do to fix the problem.

Quote:
Extract the epub file with a ZIP unarchiver, open each XHTML file and delete the meta tag. Then zip everything back up and open it in Sigil, then resave.

Which means open each XHTML file with notepad and remove the line that mentions charset windows-1252 or whatever. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 04-19-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:53 AM   #17
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Ive gone through each XHMTL file and removed it. So I have the corrected epub if anyone wants it.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 04-19-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 05:01 AM   #18
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970

Actually. What I will do is offer to the author and he can go through and make sure he is satisfied with the file (that I didn't make any other changes) and then replace his epub on here with mine.

Basically his file lists two character sets in each XHMTL and I have gone through each one of these and left only UTF-8.

So Steven please message me with your email and I will send you the corrected file.

* I am not sure what actually causes this type of thing. Why a file would end up calling for two character sets is beyond my limited knowledge.

Last edited by Guns4Hire; 04-19-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #19
HarryO53
Enthusiast
HarryO53 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: iPod Touch
Great stuff Steven!!

Keep em coming. Love the reads.

Harry
HarryO53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #20
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #21
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey, for those who couldn't make donations on my tips page, it's fixed now so you can resume donations if you so choose. I discovered that Paypal boned my donation link, so I had to go in and recreate it again. So it's working again. Sorry about that guys. I wish someone would have pointed out the issue sooner and I would have gotten it fixed asap! But either way, it's working again. So if you like the novel, by all means shoot me a donation in appreciation. And a mass thank you to the others who have already donated.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Hey, fyi everyone, I've got the fully fixed and tweaked version of my book available now. I'd update it here, but I can't seem to change the file attached to the post. So I'm waiting on HarryT to see if he can update it for me. Or maybe one of the admins could just beat him to the punchline and update it for me. ^_^;;

The updated copy is available here. Many thanks to Dreams for doing the original conversion and allowing me to learn the basics of how to set one up by studying his work. ^_^

If you've already downloaded it and don't want to download it again, that's fine. The only real changes are a few typo fixes (gee, imagine that! After all my months of editing, I actually still had typos! lol), corrected some invalid characters (stupid microsoft character sets! Augh!), and fixed the scene break problem. Otherwise, it's the same as before.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #23
Pranananda
Connoisseur
Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.Pranananda is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: ipad, iPod touch, JetBook Lite
Oops, nevermind. I see you fixed the epub. Thanks.

Last edited by Pranananda; 06-14-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Pranananda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #24
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Pranananda, I finally got this figured out. The new file is now available. (so much for me being a tech guru if I can't even figure out a stupid forum feature. lol) Just go to the original post and click on the new file. I was able to tear it apart and clean up the bugs inside.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #25
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Wow, I was going around looking at the print version of this novel, the 1.0 version if you will that I did with Amazon before dumping them and going with my present publisher. (PS, NEVER publish with Amazon. They're idiots.) Since they only did a limited number of copies, 207 to be exact, that handful of novels has already started to become valuable. I've already been seeing copies of it going for anywhere between $99 and $165! I kid you not! That blew my mind that someone as unknown as I am could already have a limited edition run of his book become that valuable. It makes me wonder what they will be worth once I am famous. Anywho, just thought I'd toss that out there as a little aside.
Well, first of all note that 200+ copies sold, even if over a year's time, is a very good performance for an "unknnown" author with no/unknown publisher. So, don't diss yourself over that. To do better, you would need a good publicist and/or a good marketing plan, and it wouldn't hurt to go with a publisher that has already made a name for itself.

Also remember that it doesn't make as much difference what some folks are charging for your book as it does what PEOPLE WILL PAY for your book.

That said, hope you got a good number of author copies to sell!

And furthermore... KUDOS for offering your novel for free. If it reads well, this will be to your benefit when further novels come along. (IMHO)
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #26
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Yeah, it was recommended to me to release my first book for free to drum up interest in the series.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:34 AM   #27
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

So, for those who have read the book, what do you think??
Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 AM   #28
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Steve

I have read the first two and partway through the third.

Great series, lots of action and the characters add to the enjoyment.

Well done

Hopefully once the next book is released I do not have to go through hoops to be able to purchase it due to GR.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #29
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Thanks for the compliments!

And as for the ebook store issues, I've been working with RobertB to help them iron out all the kinks in their system. I'm just as eager as you to make their site the best it can be. Also, once my publisher sorts out some stuff he'll have my books available through other ebook stores as well so that you have a choice.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:26 AM   #30
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
So, for those who have read the book, what do you think??
I think you are ready to get a major editor to help you polish your work. No, I'm not kidding. Your concepts and development are good, and you can write action scenes well. But to get to the next level, you could benefit from some independent help.

Browse aroound "Preditors and Editors" http://pred-ed.com/ and find what you need. You are almost ready for prime time.

Almost. and I'm talking about REALLY prime time.

Best of luck to you!
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote