Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Kindle sales monthly sales record in Nov.

Knew I shouldn't have bought mine then.

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...5AT4G120091130

Unfortunately there's no detail....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Switch11 at iReaderReview has an interesting take on the news.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
All the sales on the refurbs probably helped.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess for me if they are unwilling to release the numbers it's a bit like making a claim with no evidence to back it up. How can anyone know if it's even true or not, may just be another marketing ploy.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
I think this is true, just think about the last two Christmas seasons. First season was the launch of the Kindle 1. Production was not up to speed so they were sold out. That places a cap on the sales for the season. Second season was suppose to be the launch of the Kindle 2, but it was delayed. So again there were shortages and a cap on the sales.

Now there are no shortages (at least not yet), so the sales will go as high as there are people willing to buy.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Amazon has never released Kindle sales figures. The release of the Kindle International makes it very likely that this is true. Plus they are only saying it's their best sales month, they aren't comparing sales to any other ebook reader but their own, so why couldn't it be a sales record.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Amazon has never released Kindle sales figures. The release of the Kindle International makes it very likely that this is true. Plus they are only saying it's their best sales month, they aren't comparing sales to any other ebook reader but their own, so why couldn't it be a sales record.
I'm certainly not saying it is untrue, it likely is, but still without numbers, it lacks creditability as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #8
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I guess for me if they are unwilling to release the numbers it's a bit like making a claim with no evidence to back it up. How can anyone know if it's even true or not, may just be another marketing ploy.
I can't really blame them. No one wants to be the first to throw out actual numbers, so no one does. In a way, it makes sense. The e-book market is growing very quickly. That growth spurs interest which in turn feeds the growth. Publishing the actual numbers would, psychologically at least, throw the market right back into niche status.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Switch11 at iReaderReview has an interesting take on the news.
So do I:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63738
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
I can't really blame them. No one wants to be the first to throw out actual numbers, so no one does. In a way, it makes sense. The e-book market is growing very quickly. That growth spurs interest which in turn feeds the growth. Publishing the actual numbers would, psychologically at least, throw the market right back into niche status.
Actually Netronix is saying the 4th quarter 2009 expected sales is 140,000 units. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63766

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Hmm. It's about time somebody started putting out real numbers. That's a lot more than I would have expected. Even though it's spread across a number of retail brands, it's still a surprising number.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'd like to see numbers too - I think most people would.
It really isn't that much different than the "demand was so much greater than we expected we sold out" crap Barnes and Noble keeps generating.

Until you're willing to in real numbers, it is just fluffy clouds of meaningless goop to me.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #13
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Sony used to release numbers of units sold, but stopped earlier this year -- presumably because Amazon doesn't release that data.

I don't see it as a credibility issue, but I concur that everyone would be better off if all the companies released actual sales figures.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote