Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Does Amazon make money on its micropayments?

Not sure if anyone will have the answer, but does Amazon lose or gain on the smaller transactions? E.g. if I buy a $1 book, or it costs $0.20 to convert a document, won't the credit card transaction fees turn that into a loss?
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I believe they still wait for $5 mark for conversion fees, but I honestly don't know about the other. I'd think they'd loose money too on $1 books. But then again it's amazon, and maybe the just roll all the charges together with some special deal with credit card companies.

----------
UPDATE
----------
I guess I was wrong they do charge PER conversion now.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47284

Last edited by demoric; 05-20-2009 at 11:01 PM.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #3
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoric View Post
I believe they still wait for $5 mark for conversion fees
Nope, I have a 15 cent credit card charge from the document I mailed to my Kindle the other day.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Just to clarify, they do not charge for conversion. Conversion is free. Delivery via Whispernet isn't. If you want a document converted, you can email it to username@free.kindle.com. You can then download it and move it to your Kindle with a USB cable. I figure that's what you likely meant but I didn't want people to get the wrong impression.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote