Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Penguin EBook Store relaunch - Good news for UK Reader owners

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else, so thought I'd do the honours...

From http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/u...day/index.html

We were the first UK publisher to launch eBooks way back in 2001 and now we are re-launching eBooks to coincide with the launch of the new Sony Reader.

The online ebook store's relaunch, scheduled for 24 September 2008, will feature a vast selection of non-illustrated Penguin titles. Until then, eBook Tasters will allow readers to sample the opening chapter of top Penguin titles for free. A range of books is available from the Penguin website, including the top-ten bestseller Things I Want My Daughter to Know by Elizabeth Noble.

By the end of this year we'll have thousands of titles available in the shiny new ePub format for you to buy and read on your Sony eReader, your PC or Mac and other devices soon to launch.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
mikecook
Enthusiast
mikecook began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini, Nexus 7, Sony Reader, Kindle, and others.
Man, I was looking for a release date...I guess I just didn't look hard enough!!

Very cool, only 5 days to go
mikecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
winspiration
Connoisseur
winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Kindle Fire HD
Oooh sounds like good news - will look forward to the launch.
winspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:57 AM   #4
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Why are you getting so excited by this particular publisher? What is so special about it?
(It is not Tor unfortunately...)
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Why are you getting so excited by this particular publisher? What is so special about it?
(It is not Tor unfortunately...)
"Penguin Group is the second largest trade book publisher in the world"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penguin_Group

"Penguin [Books] is the lead publisher for the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Australian and India"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penguin_Books

Some (Penguin UK) corporate history:
http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/u...nyhistory.html

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Penguin is the publisher of many fine books in all fields -- I hope that people in the U.S. will be able to purchase books from it!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They already publish a large number of eBooks in MobiPocket format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
I just downloaded one of the "tasters". For the record, it is in ePub format. The file is 2+MB. The size seems HUGE compared to other formats. I'm used to 500k - 600k for whole books in other formats. Anybody else notice this?
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's because it has embedded fonts.
Old 09-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's because it has embedded fonts.
I wonder whether it would slow down Sony Reader?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:04 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Unlike LRF files, embedded fonts in ePub files apparently don't noticeably slow down the display of pages.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
And another source for epub books arises.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unlike LRF files, embedded fonts in ePub files apparently don't noticeably slow down the display of pages.
Really? I'm going to have to throughly test this out.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:08 PM   #14
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Ok, it's now the 25th and the eBook site was (allegedly) launched yesterday......so why can I still only find the 'Tasters' ?? Where are the thousands of ebooks they promised us? I have to say the Tasters were fairly well hidden and I had to hunt the site for them, so it won't surprise me if I've missed the eBook section!!

Any clues, anyone?
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #15
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
...well I'm sure you all found it by now, but if not this is the one in the US

http://us.penguingroup.com/static/ht...oks/index.html

and in the UK

http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/u...ers/index.html

anyone bought anything yet, and if so what format and how did they come out ?

Zevs
Zevs is offline   Reply With Quote