Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-19-2016, 05:05 PM   #16
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
I concur with Barry. When I first got this Oasis ~couple of weeks ago, I thought about all of the weird possibilities/permutations due to the two batteries (one in the Kindle and the other in the cover), and that the one in the Oasis itself is much lower capacity than the one in my aging Kindle Keyboard.

I was going to write about all the little details I concerned myself with, but let's just say that in the end, I'm more or less saying heck with it. I'm simply using the device, in and out of the cover (putting it in the cover when done, no matter how discharged it is), and when both batteries get low, I charge it. It seems to be doing just fine.

I think if you want any hope of seeing perceivable negative effects, you have to abuse the heck out of it for a heck of a long time.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:47 PM   #17
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I should mention that I charge my phone at least once a day and usually twice. I have a Nexus 5 which is a very nice phone but gets poor battery life. If I read much with it using Moon+ reader that means I have to charge halfway through the day. Moon+ seems to be a heavy drain.

I bought the phone new about 2 or 3 years ago. I used it exclusively for reading till early this year when I finally got service for it. Before that it was just a little tablet.

Anyway it usually gets down to about 50% or 55% and I charge it at least once a day so that's somewhere between 750 and 1000 half charges. Actually it's a lot more than that because I often charge it twice this year since I've been using it as a phone.

It has a lithium ion (or lithium polymer, which for this purpose is the same thing) battery which is what the Kindles have. It still holds a charge as long as when I first got it. It would use about 35 to 40% if I read on it a couple of hours and it still does that.

Given the number of charges it gets I think it's already exceeded the lowest estimate of 500 full charges and is probably approaching 1000 charges. I've been shopping for a new phone but I'm not in a hurry because I'm confident this has a long way to go. I just want something with better battery life. Unfortunately 5' phones aren't plentiful these days so I'm glad it's still in good shape.

I think my point is these batteries are pretty sturdy. They go eventually.

By the way the usual standard is 80% of it's original capacity. When it gets below that it's time to replace it and that's what's supposed to take 500 to 1000 charges. Of course when it gets to 80% capacity I've heard that it goes down from there fairly quickly.

You might want to read up on batteries at the batteryuniversity.com website.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2016, 11:52 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I should mention that I charge my phone at least once a day and usually twice. I have a Nexus 5 which is a very nice phone but gets poor battery life. If I read much with it using Moon+ reader that means I have to charge halfway through the day. Moon+ seems to be a heavy drain.

I bought the phone new about 2 or 3 years ago. I used it exclusively for reading till early this year when I finally got service for it. Before that it was just a little tablet.

Anyway it usually gets down to about 50% or 55% and I charge it at least once a day so that's somewhere between 750 and 1000 half charges. Actually it's a lot more than that because I often charge it twice this year since I've been using it as a phone.

It has a lithium ion (or lithium polymer, which for this purpose is the same thing) battery which is what the Kindles have. It still holds a charge as long as when I first got it. It would use about 35 to 40% if I read on it a couple of hours and it still does that.

Given the number of charges it gets I think it's already exceeded the lowest estimate of 500 full charges and is probably approaching 1000 charges. I've been shopping for a new phone but I'm not in a hurry because I'm confident this has a long way to go. I just want something with better battery life. Unfortunately 5' phones aren't plentiful these days so I'm glad it's still in good shape.

I think my point is these batteries are pretty sturdy. They go eventually.

By the way the usual standard is 80% of it's original capacity. When it gets below that it's time to replace it and that's what's supposed to take 500 to 1000 charges. Of course when it gets to 80% capacity I've heard that it goes down from there fairly quickly.

You might want to read up on batteries at the batteryuniversity.com website.

Barry
See bold.
That is a fabulous battery life.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:01 AM   #19
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The curves for the various failure modes are mostly exponential, but in the other direction: initial reduction in capacity is quite fast and then the loss rate tails off as time goes by. The increase in internal resistance does not follow this pattern, but is more or less linear, but the rest -- plating, etc -- are mostly classical exponentials, IIRC.

(But this is an area of *very* active research and I am years out of date.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:20 PM   #20
Martyd
Zealot
Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martyd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard,nexus 7,Kindle Voyage
Battery life is not too important for me. I leave wifi off in all my devices except as needed and this is just for security reasons. They are too smart for me out there.
Martyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert