Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-09-2008, 02:14 AM   #1
CanadianContent
Enthusiast
CanadianContent began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Decision made.....almost, any UMPC knowledge out there?

I began my search for the perfect device to read ebooks with frustration that as a Canadian I could not easily buy a Kindle, which was the only reader I knew anything about at the time. I liked the idea of the Whispernet facility particularly. Then after discovering this forum I spent many hours debating for and against each model. Then came, "do I wait for this new device or wait for the Canadian introduction or a new wifi model?" Then I finally came to a decision. I want a bigger version of my PDA. I like that it has colour, wifi capability and other applications. I am happy and comfortable with my LCD screen. Until there is a colour wifi-enabled reader, I want a tablet type notebook. I have looked at the small Sony, 4.5 inch screen, an Everun with 4.8, and others with 6-7 inch screens. So to eventually get around to my question - is there anybody that has chosen something similar that they are happy with? With the 6+inch screens there is the problem of increased weight and I would like advice on getting the balance right between having a big enough screen yet light enough to be comfortable. I ought to say that I will use it mainly for reading fiction, but it must be able to handle PDF's.
Any advice gratefully received!
CanadianContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Look here:
http://www.umpcportal.com/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
See our wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/UMPC

and here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Ultr...otebook_matrix
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:25 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The main problem with UMPCs is battery life - on most of them it's extremely short; around 3h is not atypical.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have been reading for years on my Toshiba Libretto 50
Intel Pentium 75 MHz, 16 MB RAM, 810 MB hard disk, 6.1" TFT display
The great thing about this little notebook is, that you set bios to switch the HD off after 5 minutes of inactivity, then you load the ebook into the reading application (I personally have used Linux and heavily customized Vim editor) and after 5 minutes even the harddisk stops and since this little beauty has no fans or any moving parts you get COMPLETELY silent device. Try this with modern notebooks.
I personally would purchase a second-hand old notebook for reading if I wanted to use LCD screen. I strongly prefer e-ink.

If you want to read everything about ultra portable notebooks, Asus EEE and its numerous wannabe competitors go to the http://www.liliputing.com/
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2008, 10:28 PM   #6
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The main problem with UMPCs is battery life - on most of them it's extremely short; around 3h is not atypical.
Yes, I'd agree with that. I use an Asus R2Hv quite a lot. Battery life with the standard small battery was 2-2.5 hours. I purchased a LionHead 7000W battery and battery life went to 5 hours (drifting down to 4.5 hours after a year and a half). Unfortunately, this meant weight went up to about 1Kg..

This is a good bookreader (7" screen), but you aren't going to be carrying it in your pocket overmuch. I use MSReader and Mobipocket.. One thing about these is the versatility. I have a full copy of MS-Office on it, along with a lot of company documentation. I sit it on my desk at work and use it as a picture frame - cycling through my photo library. I've used it on holiday trips as a mail reader for my wife's hotmail account (with a USB foldup keyboard). It lives in hibernation and will shutdown and startup in less than a minute.

I read books in portrait mode - using iRotate software.

If it was a 5" screen and 600grams I may not have purchased the Sony 505. (Of course, Asus now have a 5" screen model..... )

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #7
pathfinderca
Connoisseur
pathfinderca began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V.2
I can't read on my nokia 800. The screen is supposedly "4 which is too small for me.
pathfinderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #8
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
I used to read on an old Cassiopeia PocketPC until it died. For replacements I got a Sony reader and a Sony UX380. I would never use my UX as a reader (even though I could use it for mobipocket, LIT etc) as the battery just isn't up to it, and the extended battery is exhobitent! The purpose built reader is ideal though.

I think you should be looking at one of the new 'netbooks'. The Sony and Everun you looked at are 2-3 times more expensive than the new batch of atom based PCs. The EEE Pc, Acer One (which I might get the wife if they fit a better battery), Cloudbook etc are all on the cheap side, but get one with a 6-cell not 3-cell battery.

Well that's my two penneth anyway.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote