Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
Heathside Boy
HB
Heathside Boy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for PC / Calibre
Where to find Kobo books to transfer from my documents to Calibre

Hi,

If I wanted to transfer kobo ebooks into Calibre, where will I find them in "My Documents" library?

Just to let you know, I have the kobo for PC free e-reader app.

Thanks

HB
Heathside Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:21 AM   #2
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
When you manually download an epub book from the Kobo site after purchase or from your Kobo web library, it is saved in a directory of your choice as an acsm file.

Double clicking this .acsm file opens Adobe Digital Editions application and creates the DRM protected filename.epub file which is located automatically in:

C:\Users\username\My Documents\My Digital Editions\filename.epub

This book file can be dropped into the e-reader with ADE, Calibre, or Explorer.

Note that epub books that are dropped into the e-reader with ADE, Calibre, or Explorer go into the Kobo e-reader 'disk letter:\ ' root disk directory as an epub file.

Books that are Sync'd with the Kobo desktop application are stored in the sqlite.db database file located in the e-reader at disk letter:\.kobo\kepub
and in the PC at C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub

ltr
Detailed answer as above stolen from previous thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115509

I always manualy download mine so for me they are located under My Docs/My Digital Editions
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Heathside Boy
HB
Heathside Boy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for PC / Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
Detailed answer as above stolen from previous thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115509

I always manualy download mine so for me they are located under My Docs/My Digital Editions

Thanks Melmac

HB
Heathside Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Alan_C
Alan_C began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post

Sorry but I don't get it - how do you manually download the books? When I found a book I wanted on the Kobo website, I "added it to my library" which (as far as I can tell) simply set a flag in the Kobo website that said I want that book.

I couldn't find any way to get it onto my computer other than to install the Kobo application - when I ran that, it "synched" with my library and then the book appeared - but I can't find any .epub or .acsm files anywhere, nor can I find anything recent in my default downloads folder....

So there are three questions:

1) how to manually download from the Kobo website?

2) where does the Kobo desktop application store downloaded books?

3) how can I get Caliber to access the Kobo books from my desktop pc?
Alan_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
After purchasing a book you can head to the "My Library" section of the Kobo website and see a list of the books in your library. Many of them will have a BLUE button next to them that will say "ADOBE DRM EPUB". Clicking this will download the ACSM file that when opened by ADE download the ePub version.

However, many (if not all) of the free books from Kobo do NOT have an ePub version; only a version that can be read by either Kobo Desktop or Kobo's other eReading applications for different platforms.

The non ePub material is stored with Kobo's own DRM and can not be read by Calibre, Apprentice Alf or other tools.

Under Windows they are located in C:\Users\[your user]\AppData\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition\kepub
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

However, many (if not all) of the free books from Kobo do NOT have an ePub version; only a version that can be read by either Kobo Desktop or Kobo's other eReading applications for different platforms.
And Kobo's themselves .
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Alan_C
Alan_C began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Peter_T, many thanks for your complete answer (and Terminator for the extra bit of info).

I haven't yet bought an eReader as I'm trying to find out what the experience is like before committing myself - so I was hoping to try reading a book from Kobo, on a Kindle that I can borrow. It seems I shall have to look for a different book!
Alan_C is offline   Reply With Quote