Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #61
cacapee
Connoisseur
cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.

Device: prs-500
Can you detail out the TOC editing feature?
Old 08-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #62
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacapee View Post
If the PDF file already has TOC, can you extract the info and let user to edit it before building it into lrf file?
Advert
Old 08-29-2007, 02:39 PM   #63
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
This software has already earned a place in my bag of tricks for the Reader. The other major items in the bag are Stingo's Word Macro, libprs500, and BookDesigner. Yes, there are areas of overlap. These tools make my enjoyment of the Reader much better than it would have been without these tools.

As someone else said in another thread (slightly changed for the season), "Karma, the perfect late summer gift." It feels good to give or get and it costs you nothing.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:25 PM   #64
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Currently pdflrf generates images that map one to one with the visible pixels in the ereader.
cacapee, from this comment, I infer that your program is providing an output image of text, not true text that could be edited. Is this correct?
Old 08-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #65
timestory
timestory began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
If the PDF file already has TOC, can you extract the info and let user to edit it before building it into lrf file?
Yes, if PDFlrfl can provide this feature, that will be great, then we can navigate the book from the Table of contents. Which can compensate the poor navigation only provided by percentage scale.

If it could be implemented, I assume that user cannot edit it too much even before building it into lrf, while after lrf file is built, it is harder to insert those link into lrf.

If the information PDF's TOC can be read, a hierachy of structure of the book could be built using <a href="#n">toc tile1</a> where the number links to page n.

Is it possible borrow the idea(or implementation) from the tool Html2lrf. Generate one link (the target is corresponding page) for each item in PDF TOC, and put those links in first pages of the book.
Advert
Old 08-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #66
mosteo
Enthusiast
mosteo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500 / N-Gage QD
Wow, just discovered this and it's amazing. It actually allows reading scientific two-column papers in the e-reader! And, incidentally, it works in linux using wine.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #67
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
I just wanted to reiterate what a great tool this is. I was actually able to get usable results from a pdf newsletter that I tried all sorts of ways and couldnt read. Great job!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:14 AM   #68
godel10
Connoisseur
godel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't littergodel10 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Librie, Irex DR1000S
Great (wonderful, amazing, etc) work. I never expected to be able to read scientific documents in the Librie (I am using the Librie, not the reader), but it works great.

I have one question. I do not understand the meaning of the "-r" (runpages) option. What is this for?

And another question. Why the default erode option is 3? Is there any reason why it is not convenient to consider 0 (at least to me the text seems easier to be read with this parameter)?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #69
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Well, just to say, I just downloaded version 0,4 and it converted one of my PDFs.

First to tell, it took a long, very long time (original file is about 6MB and end file is about 20MB) to do the job.

But, the most important thing is, the job is done with flying colors. Pictures are there, everything looks perfect. Only thing is my err, I didn't corrected overlapping so some info overlaps. Next time, I know what to do.

Excellent program. Really, I can say that with this program, there's no problem with PDFs anymore. At least, I hope it would do all job like this one. Excellent job.

Thank you very much.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:45 PM   #70
cszhy
cszhy began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
Buddy ,it's a great tool , actually it save the sony reader!!!
before it's born , reader can do nothing on pdf!!!!
The only problem I met is the book title and author field can not be typed in Chinese
It would be perfect if this function is added
thanks a lot
Old 08-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
What I was thinking however is if the original PDF has a ToC, just convert that to a Sony LRF native ToC. That would be fine for me.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:41 AM   #72
Fallen angel
Time Vortex Manipulator
Fallen angel began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by cszhy View Post
The only problem I met is the book title and author field can not be typed in Chinese
It would be perfect if this function is added
thanks a lot
Neither in Greek, but I'm using what we call "greeklish".
Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #73
cacapee
Connoisseur
cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.cacapee is no ebook tyro.

Device: prs-500
version 0.5 has support for pre-trimming off the input pages. These are specifed in terms of % of the page from the left/right/top/bottom that you want to trim away. They can also be specified independently for even/odd pages. Also unicode metadata is now supported.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:46 PM   #74
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
Thanks cacapee. The unicode support for metadata is perfect. As far as the support for pre-trimming off the input pages concerned, I don't know how difficult to put preview of pre-trimming function into the tool. What I like Acrobat and Nitro PDF is that they support the preview of cropping so that I know instantly how much I need to trim. In many cases, the estimation of how much need to be trimmed may not be accurate. Just a thought. It's not a big deal.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:52 PM   #75
MatthewTheRaven
MatthewTheRaven began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
version 0.5 has support for pre-trimming off the input pages. These are specifed in terms of % of the page from the left/right/top/bottom that you want to trim away. They can also be specified independently for even/odd pages. Also unicode metadata is now supported.
This is a tremendous tool! This is the first time I've been able to make PDFs easily readable on the Reader. This really opens it up for me.

I think the pre-trimming will help a lot also, but as a suggestion, having a preview window that can show an even and an odd page will make this 100% more useful. I've been using pdcrop from pdf-tools to trim down the pages before using your tool to convert, but pdcrop is nearly instantaneous, so I can tweak and play with the sizes before worrying about converting to lrf.

Unfortunately since a full conversion takes a lot more time, setting the wrong cropping in pdflrf is a far more time consuming issue. I realize that you could just convert a single page or two and it will be faster, but a preview would make it just that much more useful.

Also, I haven't checked 0.5, but I know with 0.4 that it doesn't seem to be multithreaded. Doing that will definitely help the encoding time for a lot of users. Having two threads, perhaps one for odd pages and one for even pages, would really speed up the process. A third thread could assemble the processed pages into the final file in the correct order.

Anyway, even in its early development, this is probably the best software out there for making the Reader what it should be. Great work!

Matt
Closed Thread