Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 12-27-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Lights for your readers

I know we have way way too many different threads on lights for different readers. But let's ignore them all. Let's treat them like they do not exist. Let's start a new thread about lights for readers and let's do it here and let this be the one and only definitive thread. Also, let this thread be for all readers and all lights.

So go forward and making this thread proud to exist.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #2
hpjrt
Connoisseur
hpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watchhpjrt is clearly one to watch

Device: kobo
I've tried a wide variety of book lights ... all of which had their drawbacks. Most were designed for reading physical books ... so have issues with the ereader screens IMHO.

When my son went to the US a few weeks ago, I got him to pick up an eBook Lite by Capstone from Target. I really like it. It wasn't designed for my Sony ... but it works very well at lighting the entire page without glare ... although depending upon the setup of the book I'm reading, I do have to shift the bulb a smidge to read the first couple of sentences. That's not arduous ... and overall I'm very pleased with it.

It has two settings, low & high, and so far I haven't had to use the high setting. It's a nice bright LCD light ... 3 bulbs ... and so far seems to be well worth the $20 my son paid for it.

Mary
hpjrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Tubemonkey

Been using those for years on camping trips. Some have adjustable focus, changing the light from not quite pinpoint to more defuse. For reading Electric Coolade Acid .... the blinking/strobe versions are kind of nifty.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:52 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I can't believe I didn't think of at least trying that. I work for an electrical contractor, who also happens to be my roommate. We have those all over the house in varying degrees of operability. Perhaps I should find a nice focusable model and requisition some, with an extra to keep around as *ah-hem* backup. A win for everyone.

I'm using a single-led booklight that can be seen here. It's not that great, but it fits on easily with my cover and most of its value is in the fact that I already had it.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 10:26 PM   #6
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
To my mind, the best book light is one that's built in. That's why I liked my Sony 700 (for reading in good light to low light conditions), and my Dell Axim for reading in the dark. Unfortunately--I'm traveling for the holidays--both have kacked on me, and I am now on vacation without a working ebook reader! And I started with two! I am so frustrated.

In any case, for reading in the dark, my strong preference is for a high-res backlit LCD set to a very low brightness level.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
RW2112
Connoisseur
RW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beautyRW2112 does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
In any case, for reading in the dark, my strong preference is for a high-res backlit LCD set to a very low brightness level.
My preference as well!

My wife however, has a Nook Classic and is quite happy with the Nook branded light she bought at B&N...
RW2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #8
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
I bought this one for my Kindle 1. Still using it for my Kindle 3.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:30 AM   #9
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
I bought this one for my Kindle 1. Still using it for my Kindle 3.
I just bought that light yesterday along with a pbook I needed... It's already shipped...

If I had bought the same things from Australia, they would have been more expensive and taken weeks to ship and then another 2 weeks to get here... I really don't get it...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
I don't like LED reading lights for the point source hot-spot. I wish that I were smart enough to make an electroluminescent paper reading light.

Speaking of "camping lights", my Krill Light electroluminescent tent camping light is years old and on its second battery.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Instead of head torches which I think look a bit silly on me, I prefer this style which fit to a baseball cap visor.

There are reports of some clips snapping, but at that price, it is not to onerous to get another.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
The M-Edge e-Luminator2 is OK, but is overpriced. The LyraLight Cover for Nook is a good buy if you catch it on sale, and works very well.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #13
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I have the M-edge eLuminator light. Works great with my cover.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Same here. Though, I gave a MightyBright lamp to my husband this christmas. It also has a red light, so it's also perfect for astronomy usage.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I have the M-edge eLuminator light. Works great with my cover.
Which cover did you get.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote