Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 03:39 AM   #1
setherd
Sleep Tech
setherd began at the beginning.

Device: andorid, nook simple touch
Very slow connection to nexus4 on linux

I know Linux does not play well with the MTP method that new nexus devices use.
I do have it working on my Linux Mint 13 laptop though.

issues:

When calibre detects my device and reads the books off it. it takes about 8 minutes.
from my debug log I get the following
Code:
MTP: Filesystem metadata loaded in 474.418 seconds (11989 objects)
it seems to be scanning the entire storage area. I see it listing every epub, pdf, html, pdb, and cbz file on my phone.

Is this behavior correct? does calibre scan everything? for every format it understands? if so why is it taking so long? When I open up the nexus4 folder it seems to load and move things as fast an anything else.

once I have unmounted my phone and I recconect it later. Calibre does not see it. I have to resart the udev service and then calibre reads my phone again.

I suspect the linux implementation of MTP is the cause of all this but I'm posting this in hopes someone has an answer and to help make calibre better
setherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uninstall your distro version of calibre and install the official calibre linux binary from http://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
setherd
Sleep Tech

I don't use the Ubuntu version, I like updating too much :-)
As a matter of fact while I was Trouble shooting you released the new update

Please let me know if any logs would help
Old 03-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre scans only some top level folders, you can configure which ones by right clicking on the device icon in calibre and choosing configure this device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
setherd
Sleep Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre scans only some top level folders, you can configure which ones by right clicking on the device icon in calibre and choosing configure this device.
Thanks that helped, I'm having calibre only scan 3 folders and that has cut the time down to 2 minutes. I'm hoping that in the near future Linux will have better support for mtp in the kernel

Tags
linux, mtp, nexus 4