Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #481
chronosxiii
chronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The always #1 question:

Is the battery fully re-charged?
Make sure, leave on charger over-night at least.

Then see if that makes a difference.

If it doesn't - then install the KUAL launcher and I'll post a button to give you a battery status report - which should report its current capacity (which might be very low now).
Well I was charging it last night, then I attempted to flash the debrick thing through ATK but I wasnt able to do it because the step where I have to hold the power and the volume button didn't trigger anything that I Could see

How can I install KUAL if the Kindle freezes every half a minute :O (is it this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203326 )
chronosxiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #482
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hi...

¨Nothing I could see¨ hmm. so hold the power for 20 ish seconds and do the exact sequence I describe in the previous post.

if NOTHING changes on the screen, or it stays white or whatever? that is probably right....

There IS NO GUI for this mode of operation.

read the k3flasher docs. they are quite clear and I have splattered worked examples of using it around every time I do.

That will be of more use than KUAL until you get the reboots fixed as you say.

Good luck
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #483
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thing: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184310

Me and thing: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190842
EDIT: I Added some notes for your situation. Like ¨you should be good now! or something ¨

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Backing_Up_Kindle_3

No charge? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=584

Other flavours of tools https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk

Last edited by twobob; 02-15-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: NOTES
Old 02-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #484
chronosxiii
chronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolatechronosxiii is generous with chocolate

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Hi...

¨Nothing I could see¨ hmm. so hold the power for 20 ish seconds and do the exact sequence I describe in the previous post.

if NOTHING changes on the screen, or it stays white or whatever? that is probably right....

There IS NO GUI for this mode of operation.

read the k3flasher docs. they are quite clear and I have splattered worked examples of using it around every time I do.

That will be of more use than KUAL until you get the reboots fixed as you say.

Good luck
So how does one know if the sequence does anything? I tried to flash following the passage for Win 32bit with ATK on the wiki page, it took 4h and nothing changed!? I don't even know if it actually flashed anything since I don't know if the Power+Volume procedure worked
Old 02-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #485
twobob

err... what? right. atk. I dont know.

as you can see the docs I provided were for an alternate solution.
The lengthy example is for another thing entirely. k3flasher

Also as you can see when I use the other thing there is plenty of output.
So. If you were asking me a question about something I talked about I could help.

However, as I said, I don´t go the atk route.

The worked example provided is enough to get the job done. I cant speak for ATK or windows. sorry
Old 02-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #486
chronosxiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
err... what? right. atk. I dont know.

as you can see the docs I provided were for an alternate solution.
The lengthy example is for another thing entirely. k3flasher

Also as you can see when I use the other thing there is plenty of output.
So. If you were asking me a question about something I talked about I could help.

However, as I said, I don´t go the atk route.

The worked example provided is enough to get the job done. I cant speak for ATK or windows. sorry
This tool you talk about, k3flasher, works only under Linux correct?

For anyone who went the ATK route, is it normal that the clean kernel (http://pastebin.com/Wdw4L7yT) comes as an .img file isntead of .bin?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #487
chronosxiii

Uhm - okay so basically I took out the battery left it out for like 5h but the screen stayed on???

Re-inserted the battery, went for reboot and since the kindle keeps re-booting after freezing..I am just wondering how can I just wipe the OS and let it reinstall?

Last edited by chronosxiii; 02-16-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #488
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronosxiii View Post
Uhm - okay so basically I took out the battery left it out for like 5h but the screen stayed on???
Yeah, istn't that nice?
NO - the screen isn't on, any more than a printed paper page is on when you can see the ink.
Duh...
Note the display type name: E-INK
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #489
chronosxiii

I thought when losing the battery the charge of the screen would drop too !!
Anyways, is anyone expert or can help me out? I just don't know if its fixable or if i have to buy a new one!
Old 02-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #490
twobob

Yes of course it is probably fixable.

However with atk, Windows, and your current level of expertise tough to make a judgement how long that might take.

I would suggest changing one of the variables.

Try a different OS, or a different Toolset, or do a bit more research.

A ilnux LIVE CD wont make your windows computer explode you know.
(might run a bit better but no explosions)

best advice? mix up the equation.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #491
chronosxiii

I installed antix on my netbook I went to the k3flashing thread but I don't understand where to begin LOL!
P.s. Is anyone on IRC tonight? I'd rather ask help there than to pollute this thread!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #492
twobob

Whats wrong with? https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190842

THESE ARE NOTES FOR K3FLASHER

NOT ATK

Spoiler:

TRIMMED:

a) Select your weapons -
Quote:
I have chosen the very excellent k3flasher by hawhill. It's embryonic and but should get the job done in linux. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184310

b) Get an Image (I'm going for the 3.0.2 Kernel and File system)

c) grab a copy of mx35to2_mmc.bin from the ATK install (you can just install it in wine and grab the file out)

HINT (/home/you/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/freescale/AdvancedToolKit-STD/image/*)

c) Put K3flasher in a listening state <-- DONT FORGET TO DO THIS FIRST!!

sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin info

d) put your device in USB Downloader mode

Quote:
This MUST work. It is a HARDWARE function that does not use mmc. so don't say "It wont go into that mode... Yes it will, you are doing it wrong"
Plug into computer USB, slide power until LED off (back off a little so you can see the LED status), press Vol-, then release power. Then release -Vol.

(about 20 seconds is a reasonable time for all that lot to take)

You then use k3flasher to connect (soon after the new VID/PID are detected on the PC).

(me@dev /usr/local/src/k3flasher)$ sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin info

Quote:
I: found suitable device
I: read info
I: got size 1048576 (probably wrong)
I: downloading 0x00000200 (=512) bytes, starting at 0x00040c00
I: DO NOT MAKE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION PUBLIC!
I: if you need to discuss it in public, obfuscate
I: e.g. the second half of the numbers.
I: got device serial number <B006C0D319990Q6P>
I: got device Wifi MAC <29FF099099FF>
Okay we have a connection:

Let's push across the kernel

me@dev /usr/local/src/k3flasher $ sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin program kernel ./k3w-kernel-factory.img

Wait a longish time
Quote:
I: flashed 0x001a0000 (=1703936) bytes
I: flashed 0x001b0000 (=1769472) bytes
I: flashed 0x001c0000 (=1835008) bytes
I: flashed 0x001d0000 (=1900544) bytes
I: flashed 0x001e0000 (=1966080) bytes
I: flashed 0x001f0000 (=2031616) bytes
I: flashed 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes
I: flashing of 0x00200000 (=2097152) bytes complete
I: writing 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes to address 0x28dc1000, waiting for completion...
I: wrote 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes, waiting for completion...
I: flashing of 0x00007000 (=28672) bytes complete
now the file system

me@dev /usr/local/src/k3flasher $ sudo ./k3flasher ./mx35to2_mmc.bin program rootfs ./mmcblk0p1-3.0.2-factory.img

This will take about 3 hours to cook...
(you charging it though? Right)

Next steps, test this works after a reboot (worked fine for me)

You should see Kindle version 3.0.2 in your Settings Page on the kindle.

MENU -> SETTINGS (in the status bar at the bottom)
(3.0.2 (999999blah) I see this)

FROM THIS POINT YOU ARE GOOD... if you are just trying to get a fixed device just upgrade it now. to whatever version.

Last edited by twobob; 02-16-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #493
chronosxiii

Thank you so much I will try now!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #494
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronosxiii View Post
Thank you so much I will try now!
Yeah.

If I had a nickel for everytime I had to post the right answer twice...

Then having to actually just COPY the answer in the WRONG thread.

(I have a quarter easy by now)

good luck

Last edited by twobob; 02-16-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #495
(-_-)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: O_o
Exclamation

I've debricked using this method once before.

Now I need to do it a second time and I'm about ready to give up...

(Windows Vista 32 bit)

I do everything:

Charged. Made the right selections. USB download mode. Drivers look OK.(showing MX35 & WinDriver now)

Reinstalled ATK, restarted.

But still: 'USB not detected'....

If the drivers are wrong do I remove one?(or can someone attach the one they used maybe??)

Thank you, help is appreciated.

Last edited by (-_-); 02-20-2013 at 05:10 PM.
(-_-) is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debrick, debricking, howto, kindle 3