Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-29-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
TOC missing in TOC

Been away from work for a few weeks, and am back with a new problem, hooray!

I have built an internal TOC Page in my book, and provided an entry in the Navigational TOC to get to this page. The entry named "Contents" in the Navigational TOC shows up fine in ADE, but in iBooks, the entry for "Contents" in the Navigational TOC had disappeared. The page still exists in the book, I just can't access it via the iBooks Navigational TOC.

I can see no problem in the code. What the hell is going on?
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

So it appears that if the text within the code says "Contents" or "Table of Contents" - iBooks ignores it.

<navPoint id="navpoint3" playOrder="3">
<navLabel>
<text>Contents</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="epub-2.html#toc_marker-1-2"/>
</navPoint>

Too bad if your chapter was actually called Contents, huh? This is just ridiculous.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
virtual_ink
Zealot

SO it chops Contents, Table of Contents, and I think Front Matter ... How frustrating. A complete list of terms to avoid could come in handy.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It's incredible how stupid programmers can be (and I'm sometimes one of them).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:23 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It is incredible indeed. Add another stupid issue with iBooks.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As a workaround, you could try adding some invisible character to the "Contents" title, like a &nbsp; at the end or a zero-width space somewhere in the middle.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:58 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Granted, I firmly believe such decisions should be left entirely to the ebook creator, but I've never seen the point of having an entry for the table of contents IN the table of contents. It just hurts my head.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
but I've never seen the point of having an entry for the table of contents IN the table of contents. It just hurts my head.
How would you get back to the TOC if there was no link in the TOC for the TOC.
I put them in all the time.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

One: For consistency, it also let's you know if the TOC is at the end of the book or not, and whether there is anything interesting before/after it.

Two: In this case they are different TOCs. It's a link in the off-line TOC to the in-line TOC. The in-line TOC can have additional information, like illustrations or short summaries, which are not in the off-line TOC, and there should be a way to reach the in-line TOC (if it exists) that does not involve paging forward/backward all the way.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
One: For consistency, it also let's you know if the TOC is at the end of the book or not, and whether there is anything interesting before/after it.

Two: In this case they are different TOCs. It's a link in the off-line TOC to the in-line TOC. The in-line TOC can have additional information, like illustrations or short summaries, which are not in the off-line TOC, and there should be a way to reach the in-line TOC (if it exists) that does not involve paging forward/backward all the way.
OK, I can see #2, but I guess I always strive to make sure that the offline toc is exactly the same as the inline toc (if it exists). *shrugs*

But like I said, I agree the decision should be made by the creator and NOT iBooks implementation of the navigational toc.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Besides, there are books in other languages than English...
Old 09-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Besides, there are books in other languages than English...
How would that affect the OP's issues or my "TOC as part of the TOC" question? Can the navigational (offline) TOC only display certain characters or something?

That's genuine curiosity, there, not snarkiness.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:03 AM   #13
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

I mean it would affect the stupid iBooks "feature" of removing the TOC from the TOC, surely they don't check for the TOC name in every language?
Old 10-01-2011, 03:15 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The simple solution is to just remove the internal ToC. It's not needed and it's not wanted. The external ToC will do fine. This way, you don't need a ToC entry for the ToC since you won't have an internal ToC. I find an internal ToC in an ePub to be insulting.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:39 AM   #15
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The simple solution is to just remove the internal ToC. It's not needed and it's not wanted. The external ToC will do fine. This way, you don't need a ToC entry for the ToC since you won't have an internal ToC. I find an internal ToC in an ePub to be insulting.
In most situations I agree with you. However, there are situations when a internal TOC is justified. If a TOC contains an excerpt of each chapter, as sometimes in non-novels, it can have an added value.

Usually I don't use it, but for those kind of books I sometimes do. It will help the reader to find the right chapter.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote