Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
DigitalAutoPilot
DigitalAutoPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Question Which processor

I am on the verge of buying a Chinese tablet and wanted to know if there is a huge (as in very noticeable) difference in these two core processors.

ARM1176JZ(F)-S
Cortex A8

I will be using it for:
60% ebook reading
30% web browsing
10% movies

Thanks
DigitalAutoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #2
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalAutoPilot View Post
I am on the verge of buying a Chinese tablet and wanted to know if there is a huge (as in very noticeable) difference in these two core processors.

ARM1176JZ(F)-S
Cortex A8

I will be using it for:
60% ebook reading
30% web browsing
10% movies

Thanks
DON'T buy IF you can afford it!

Buy one of the NEW cortex A8 tablets, otherwise buy Rockchip 2808 tablet.

Stay the HELL AWAY from a VIA based ARM CPU IF you can...

If what you HAVE listed IS correct the Cortex A8 will be great, but be AWARE ALL of these tablets utilize LCD screens which are ENTIRELY useless in any sort of bright/mostly direct sunlight conditions...

IF you want an ebook reader primarily, go with a nook... it has a small LCD control screen + eInk reading screen and can be hacked to a degree...

[EDIT]
Given your reading percentage I'd say nook, but wait for another inevitable price drop if you can... and/or other possibly newer and BETTER devices, e.g. color eInk plus FASTER refresh times as curent eInk is VERY ssssllllloooooowwwww, but the nook is hackable to run things it wasn't meant to runwhich are useful... sorry I'm wandering but that's the way it si unless you want a useless in direct(or bright) sunlight reader LCD based...

I'm not being clear so I'll simplify it, for daylight/direct sunlight/bright sunlight reaading Nook Android or some other eInk base is your ONLY USEFUL choice, o OTHERrwise experiment with tablets but ONLY with ROCKCHIP 2808(if your're cheap) or Cortex A8 o.w.

Also be careful of Chinese purveyors of products as they NOTORIOUSLY do NOT support their products. Check out flatcomputing.com for a "potentially" decent allarounder excepting the lighting conditions mentioned above for eInk...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-25-2010 at 11:38 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
DigitalAutoPilot

Thanks for your input. It looks like the Cortex is what I will be wanting.
I have already had a Sony PRS-505 (wife dropped and broke screen last week) and I now have a Nook. I won't read out in daylight/direct sunlight. And the Nook is simply not 'android' enough...even rooted, there are very limited apps available and the tiny color screen is frustrating... lots of scrolling, scrolling...

Er... I looked at that flatcomputing site... why would I pay that price? Are they in the US or something? It's the exact same machine on a couple of other sites - just more expensive.

electroworld.cn has it listed as the ZT180 ($199)
wiipad.us has it listed as the wiipad neno ($231)
the flatcomputing price is $285
Old 07-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for your input. It looks like the Cortex is what I will be wanting.
I have already had a Sony PRS-505 (wife dropped and broke screen last week) and I now have a Nook. I won't read out in daylight/direct sunlight. And the Nook is simply not 'android' enough...even rooted, there are very limited apps available and the tiny color screen is frustrating... lots of scrolling, scrolling...

Er... I looked at that flatcomputing site... why would I pay that price? Are they in the US or something? It's the exact same machine on a couple of other sites - just more expensive.

electroworld.cn has it listed as the ZT180 ($199)
wiipad.us has it listed as the wiipad neno ($231)
the flatcomputing price is $285
I have the prs-505 myself too for my ebooks.... thinking about putting up my Newton Messagepad 2100(+ accessories .. don't want to.. but...) on the auction block to help fund buying the "Freedom A10" from flatcomputing(or similar, but prefer a US company... warrannty.. shipping.. hopefully support...)

There's also the Orphan iPed M16 and Zenithink ZT-180 which have cortex a8 CPUs... go look at slatedroid.com forums when they come up again, generic devices -> A7/A8 subforum IIRC

[EDIT]
Also be VERY careful about what Chinese vendor you MIGHT buy your Cortex A8 tablet from...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 07-26-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Edited the edit
Old 07-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
DigitalAutoPilot

I've been all over the flatcomputing web site and I can't see any actual information that says they are a US company...did I miss something?

Regardless, they have to import them from the same suppliers as everyone else, I would think. As far as warranty is concerned, I don't know...

Sorry, I have this thing about always trying to find the lowest price.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
cutterjohn42
Addict

Quote:
I've been all over the flatcomputing web site and I can't see any actual information that says they are a US company...did I miss something?

Regardless, they have to import them from the same suppliers as everyone else, I would think. As far as warranty is concerned, I don't know...

Sorry, I have this thing about always trying to find the lowest price.
Oops... yep flatcomputing is supposed to be located in Austin. Their $275 price includes a 1y warranty which you don't get from most other vendors. I think that mp4nation(only has the Apad iRobot ATM(Rockchip 2808A) which is currently stuck at Android 1.5 and unlikely to beyond that...) warrants their products as well.

I'm thinking that the Freedom A10 MIGHT be a Zenithink ZT-180 tablet re-branded.

The only other choice for a tablet based in the US is the Pandigital Novel which would be significantly slower, but can be had from Kohls, Bed Bath & Beyond, and apparently other chain stores eventually. You can use a BBB 30% off coupon on it and they have a $20 MIR IIRC, which makes it c. $115 (until 8/10 IIRC). I think that you can get a discount at Kohls too but it may only be if you use a Kohls card and they have a MIR of $15 IIRC but Kohls works out to be slightly cheaper. Kohls stopped selling these for a while and I'm not sure if they ever started selling them again as I haven't gotten around to checking stores for the PDN yet, especially since I'm not thinking the A10 or possibly waiting a bit longer to also see what the ASUS & MSI android tablets are like IF they are ever marketed.

PDN has a non-Cortex A8 CPU (forget which offhand) @ 533MHz IIRC, and seems to be fairly hackable.

Beyond that there's the Archos tablets, which have builtin hdds, but no SD/uSD slots as far as I've read. Sounds like the Internet Tablet 5 is the way to go on those. They 5 tablet is @ Android 1.6 IIRC and has a 800MHz Cortex A8 processor + 430MHz DSP. The price is between the A10 & PDN dependent upon which internal hdd model you order, but I'd investigate Archos before buying and read their archosfan forums.

[EDIT]
Location is given on their facebook page:
Quote:
Flat Computing, is one of the nation-wide leading flat tablet system manufacturers. We are the fastest growing private company in Austin, Texas...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-26-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
oorwullie
oorwullie doesn't litteroorwullie doesn't litteroorwullie doesn't litter

Device: acer all in one,acer a500 nexus7 palm tungsten kindlekb
Thumbs up

Quote:

ARM1176JZ(F)-S
Cortex A8

I will be using it for:
60% ebook reading
30% web browsing
10% movies

Thanks
i bought the a81-e from merrimobiles which has the a8 chip and android 2.1 and i am very pleased with the unit,it is a well made unit and i am glad i made this purchase. i went to my local electrical store to view the archos and the build quality left a lot to be desired.i bought mine without the gps because i am disabled and do not have a car .the browser is fast and it can load web sites fast over wifi.i paid £170.00 for it including postage.
oorwullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:48 PM   #8
cutterjohn42
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oorwullie View Post
i bought the a81-e from merrimobiles which has the a8 chip and android 2.1 and i am very pleased with the unit,it is a well made unit and i am glad i made this purchase. i went to my local electrical store to view the archos and the build quality left a lot to be desired.i bought mine without the gps because i am disabled and do not have a car .the browser is fast and it can load web sites fast over wifi.i paid £170.00 for it including postage.
Forgot about merimobiles. They're supposed to be a decent vendor as well.

So you really like that Wistech? Are you running Android or wince(and I do) or both? (I was kind of worried a bit about their Android support...)

Can you get access to the market working? And, how is the battery life with WiFi on? (I don't watch many videos, so...)

hmmm... merimobiles has good prices on uSD cards too... about the going rate for those, but I wonder which brand... ah hah! and I see that they also offer a 1y warranty, so there's another one.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
DigitalAutoPilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Oops... yep flatcomputing is supposed to be located in Austin. Their $275 price includes a 1y warranty which you don't get from most other vendors. I think that mp4nation(only has the Apad iRobot ATM(Rockchip 2808A) which is currently stuck at Android 1.5 and unlikely to beyond that...) warrants their products as well.

I'm thinking that the Freedom A10 MIGHT be a Zenithink ZT-180 tablet re-branded.

[EDIT]
Location is given on their facebook page:
Quote:
Flat Computing, is one of the nation-wide leading flat tablet system manufacturers. We are the fastest growing private company in Austin, Texas...
[/EDIT]
If they are just a distributor, what good is a warranty? I doubt they would actually *fix* something that is returned to them, more than likely just replace it.

Well, warranty aside, I'm not sure I want to deal with a company trying to claim they are the manufacturer (instead of simply stating they are a distributor of re-branded goods)...

Who ever heard of a "leading system manufacturer" that doesn't list an address or phone number...

I posted a question asking if they are the manufacturer or simply a distributor in the forum on their site - we'll see if I get a reply or if the post gets deleted/edited...
Old 07-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
cutterjohn42
Addict

Quote:
If they are just a distributor, what good is a warranty? I doubt they would actually *fix* something that is returned to them, more than likely just replace it.

I never came out and asked them yet if they designed it, but even if they did I can almost guarantee you that it will have been made in China, after all what's not today? Send them an email and ask your questions directly.

Well, warranty aside, I'm not sure I want to deal with a company trying to claim they are the manufacturer (instead of simply stating they are a distributor of re-branded goods)...

Who ever heard of a "leading system manufacturer" that doesn't list an address or phone number...

I posted a question asking if they are the manufacturer or simply a distributor in the forum on their site - we'll see if I get a reply or if the post gets deleted/edited...
Presumably if they have no capability of "fixing" it they'd just replace it. Remember this is the US and they have a legal requirement to honor their warranty, and quite frankly I trust them more with free shipment in US v. having to pay $30 to send it elsewhere, not to mention that shipping time will be a couple of days at most v. possibly months.

Anyways, we'll just have to wait and see more with flatcomputing as I don't see anyone writing about having received one yet which makes me even more inclined to believe that it IS a ZT-180 rebrand.

Back to the rebranding business, ever hear of Clevo? A rebrand of a Taiwanese ODM that makes LOTS of notebooks for LOTS of companies, e.g. Alienware/Dell. You can buy these (and others) from "custom" builders who also offer warranties and, apparently, honor them as I've not seen hew and cry at notebook review, although for the "custom" notebook sellers you're mostly better off going with one of the "brand" names or a Taiwanese seller. MSI & ASUS amongst others also do this, but they have the drawback of directly competing since they also sell direct retail as well.

Thought of another question wrt Witstech: Notice any heat? (Just asking since I recalled reading about heat w/Eken M001 models, but I presume that was because they overclocked it a bit, and had not heatsink...)

[EDIT]
You MAY have heard of Clevo as Sager... at notebookreview and other places they "classify" these "whitebox" sellers as "boutique" "brands"... so it's entirely possible to get good service from a re-brander... In Sager's case they actually DO "repair" notebooks, although in the case of electronics products, which I should have been more clear about above, they'll likely replace the entire faulty component to "fix" it, e.g. bad RAM/CPU/motherboard replace the motherboard as the CPU and DRAM are likely soldered to the mb, broken cable, replace cheaply available cable world over, dead battery again replace battery with one available everywhere, so it CAN be "fixed" in a sense, but the mfg sense that you are talking about is just never going to happen as it's usually too labor intensive(expensive) to actually "fix" a dead mb unless it's a prototype...
[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
I must say that Pandigital is now likely to be a shell company of a Chinese company given
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...d=%27POTPRD07T
as to their attestations for the 3G version of the PDN...

Not the mfg of the ruler...

ah the games that we play...
[/EDIT2]

[EDIT3]
This is the slatedroid thread with the various discount deal for the PDN... address of slatedroid may change, and this might break as it uses an IP address rather than domain name:
http://38.99.171.104/~slatedr1/showt...hls-deal-codes

generic devices forum appears to be MIA ATM so no more word on the ZT-180 and other new Cortex-A8 tablets...
[/EDIT3]

[EDIT4]
And here is a link to the forum of Chinese retailers to either buy from or avoid like the black plague
http://38.99.171.104/~slatedr1/forum...e!!!-%E2%98%A0

There are more spread throughout the rest of the forums, but there are several subforums MIA ATM...
[/EDIT4]

[EDIT5]
The Generic Devices w/Cortex A8 info aren't lost, just apparently still in the process of being moved over according to a recent admin post... along with some of the other sub-forums...

This
http://38.99.171.104/~slatedr1/forum...-Tablet-Market
is the general market forum, but best bet for further vendor info is to look in forums related to the device that you are purchasing... as this forum SHOULD be changed inthe near future...
[/EDIT5]

[EDIT6]
Another tablet being sold in US @ KMART
http://www.augenus.com/indexhome.html/GENTOUCH.html
800MHz CPU haven't had a chance to look over the rest of teh specs yet though...
probably better than PDN.. but...

$149
[/EDIT6]

[EDIT7]
I'm guessing either 800MHz cortex A8 or telechips ARM11... if it's a cortex it's a steal... but even a telechips is better than the PDN @ 533MHz even if it doesn't have a DSP co-processor.
[/EDIT7]

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 07-27-2010 at 01:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:05 AM   #11
oorwullie
oorwullie doesn't litteroorwullie doesn't litteroorwullie doesn't litter

Device: acer all in one,acer a500 nexus7 palm tungsten kindlekb
a81-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Forgot about merimobiles. They're supposed to be a decent vendor as well.

So you really like that Wistech? Are you running Android or wince(and I do) or both? (I was kind of worried a bit about their Android support...)

Can you get access to the market working? And, how is the battery life with WiFi on? (I don't watch many videos, so...)

hmmm... merimobiles has good prices on uSD cards too... about the going rate for those, but I wonder which brand... ah hah! and I see that they also offer a 1y warranty, so there's another one.
i am running android 2.1 and with most phones and tablets battery life is not good when wi fi is on but i`ve not tested how long but as i do not leave my house very often it is not a problem with me. no you cannot get the market but i have found many sites that i can download apps and transfer to tablet.
you can replace the battery yourself which is a bonus as a lot of tablets are unibody and changing battery is not easy.to sum up so far, i am very pleased with the unit so far.works well,no hangups so far(1 week) and wits has just posted an up date to rectify the low sound from the unit,so as i said before i am very pleased with this unit and compared to the archos unit the build quality is a lot better.
oorwullie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:16 AM   #12
DigitalAutoPilot

I wouldn't particularly mind if FlatPad was a distributor or VAR...
What I mind is the subtle deception.

I think I'm going to search for feedback on the electroworld.cn site.

The ZT180 that they have listed looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
DigitalAutoPilot

Just FYI for anyone that may be considering FlatComputing:

New post from the Admin at FlatComputing: http://www.flatcomputing.com/forum/?...ewtopic&t=17.0
Quote:
As you all know we shipped our first LOT of our FlatPad A10. Our Taiwanese manufacturer stated that they had a good and stable build of Android v2.1. What we found out was they were using a basic developer ROM from the 7″ ePad solution thus our first delay in shipping.
____

One more thing -
It looks like all they are doing is slapping a cutom label on the outside of the imported tablet. See: /product_images/box1.jpg.
That and some obvious PhotoShop tricks for their website images.
Compare Image 1 from shenit.com

to Image 2 from FlatComputing

I'm not sure a label in English and maybe a Texas phone number create enough "Value Added" for the extra $80 - $100 price premium.

Last edited by DigitalAutoPilot; 07-27-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:57 AM   #14
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Wow, looking at the image gallery that really is a blatant rip-off of the iPad, even down to the box design. Guess if you can't beat 'em, copy 'em.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
gewain
gewain began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by oorwullie View Post
i am running android 2.1 and with most phones and tablets battery life is not good when wi fi is on but i`ve not tested how long but as i do not leave my house very often it is not a problem with me. no you cannot get the market but i have found many sites that i can download apps and transfer to tablet.
you can replace the battery yourself which is a bonus as a lot of tablets are unibody and changing battery is not easy.to sum up so far, i am very pleased with the unit so far.works well,no hangups so far(1 week) and wits has just posted an up date to rectify the low sound from the unit,so as i said before i am very pleased with this unit and compared to the archos unit the build quality is a lot better.
Hi oorwullie, love the avatar. It caught my eye and I had been considering getting the A81. After seeing your post I too got one from merimobiles. Perhaps you can help me with a couple of things.
I'm worried that it won't play videos on android 2.1. Do you know how to boot the machine into wince as that should have a media player in it? When you boot up, does it give you the option which OS to use?
Did you get an English manual or did you manage to find one somewhere? If not how did you manage to figure out how to upgrade firmware etc?
gewain is offline   Reply With Quote