Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
lycosphere
lycosphere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Sony PRS-600: Loading books is slow...

is there any thing I could do to fix this?

Just not put so many books on my SD card?

I had about 2000 books, text files and such and it took forever to load. I then slimmed down to about 500, and it still takes a while.
lycosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
lycosphere, pardon if this is a dumb question... I just got a 600 this weekend. When you say it's slow loading, do you mean for it to process the loaded books right after you put them on? Or when you start it up? The reason I'm asking is that so far, I haven't noticed a problem with this. I've loaded 956 books on it (all on the SD card, not the internal memory) this weekend, and the only lag I've noticed is right after I disconnect it from the usb connection to the computer and it's updating the newly loaded books, and even that isn't taking long.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
lycosphere

Well, it seems to me that the reader reloads all the books if I only add 1 book. I had thought (this morning) that the reader loads all books not only upon putting in the newly loaded sd card but also upon turning it off and on. But it seems it doesn't.

But it's annoying to wait that long to load the 2-3 thousand books ~ it was at least like 10 minutes of seeing those arrows circle.

and yeah, I bought mine because of the Target Clearance sale.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mine doesn't seem to do that. If I load one book and disconnect it from the usb connection, it doesn't take as long as if I've loaded a bunch at once. I think the longest I've had to wait for it was maybe two minutes, after I loaded most of my urban fantasy collection (which was something like 250 titles all at once). What are you using to load them with? The Sony software, or Calibre? I'm using Calibre, so maybe that could be the difference?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
lycosphere

I tried using calibre but I keep getting some error when it tries to read my sony reader.
Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Hmm.. you might want to post your error in the Calibre section and let Kovid help you with that .

In any case, I read so many horror stories about the Sony software that I never even tried it - didn't even install it on the Reader, just started out with Calibre. Of course, I've also spent the last month adding all my books to Calibre and fixing metadata and getting them all nice and neat (and I didn't even know I was buying a Calibre-compatible reading device!).

But maybe the software could be a contributing factor to your problem?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Since both of you are using an SD card, I wonder what class they are. Are you using Class 2 (slow speed), Class 4 (faster), or Class 6 (much faster). This could make a dfference in the speed of loading. When you first load new books on the reader it will index them (I think) and that can take a while espicially if they are loaded onto a slow speed SD card. By indexing I mean index the words for searches.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Good point, Jack. I have no idea what Class my SD card is, but it's an 8 gig, and newer (I bought it in March to go in my Asus).
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

It depends on the brand, but sometimes they have a number on the face contained within a circle or partial circle. Sometimes they have a name like Ultra or Ultra II, which identifies the speed. Here is a link to show how to tell the class, but not all cards are marked:

http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/speed_class/

I think the speed per class is as follows:

Class 2: 2 MB/s
Class 4: 4 MB/s
Class 6: 6 MB/s
Class 10: 10 MB/s