Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
epub from Baen on Adobe Digital Editions: page numbers?

I recently bought an epub from Baen Books and read it on Adobe Digital Editions. I downloaded it in this format because I want to eventually read it on my nook (when I get it!) although it listed epub as "epub/Stanza." There were 2 things that I found really distracted from the reading experience.

1. No margins. None at all. I like to scale down the fonts small so I have the least paging to do. This delivers a 2-page view in ADE. OK, but because there are no margins it's really hard to tell the left-hand page from the right-hand page. Is there some formatting option to change this? I got out of this problem by changing the width of the ADE window which slims it down to one page.

2. Page numbers that over-write the text. Sure, I like to know how far I am through the book but ADE gives me a little display at the top of the screen that tells me that (the page number and the page count) which I like. But in the ebook itself, the page numbers actually *over-wrote* the last letter or two on the line near the page break--not making it go away, but it looks like what happens on an old-fashioned typewriter when you type a letter and then backspace and type a number. When you have 2 pages onscreen, that's 2 lines per screen that you have to slow down and try to figure out the letter. The only time this didn't happen is at the end of a paragraph when the rest of the line was clear.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there someway I can make this epub look good? Will it look good on my nook? Is it a Baen specific problem or do all epubs have this issue?
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The page numbers over text are not in the ePub, they are a "feature" of Adobe Digital Editions. The next version of mobile ADE will allow them to be turned off. A larger right margin also helps by pushing the page number outside the text.

I typically download Baen's MOBI version and then use Calibre to convert it to ePub. That way I can add extra CSS, like margins, to the conversion. I start with the MOBI version because usually this has the least e-book specific CSS to start with (e.g. usually justification and the font are not set in a MOBI, so you can specify these how you want). It is certainly possible to run ePub to ePub using Calibre to add extra CSS.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the Calibre documentation tell you how to add the css instructions? I speak css, but I've only done it for an application with a someone idiosyncratic implementation.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
It is added as "extra CSS" either via the GUI or on the command line, for example the following uses the default sans-serif font in bold for most text:
Code:
body {
  font-family: sans-serif;
  font-weight: bold;
}
For margins, see epub Margins on nook.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Joykins
Wizard

Thanks!

I tried the online epubreader and it seemed to have that same number-over-text problem.
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The page numbers over text are not in the ePub, they are a "feature" of Adobe Digital Editions. The next version of mobile ADE will allow them to be turned off. A larger right margin also helps by pushing the page number outside the text.

I typically download Baen's MOBI version and then use Calibre to convert it to ePub. That way I can add extra CSS, like margins, to the conversion. I start with the MOBI version because usually this has the least e-book specific CSS to start with (e.g. usually justification and the font are not set in a MOBI, so you can specify these how you want). It is certainly possible to run ePub to ePub using Calibre to add extra CSS.
Sony's already turned off page number in the margin on the 900. So it can be done and Sony is the first to do it. I'm just hoping that the next firmware update (mentioned in another thread) is also for the 505 and has the newer ADE.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
The nook does not display the little page numbers on the side like it does on the Sony Reader. If I can find a free ePub from Baen I will try and load it on my nook and let you know how it looks margin wise.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Joykins
Wizard

*excellent*

I really want to read these things on my nook (when I get it). My reading stuff on the PC is more by way of experiment.

On the other hand I do have to use ADE to get e-books out of the library and while I understand I can sideload them to my nook until they expire, I also understand (correctly??) that the DRM prevents me from changing them.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I downloaded 1632 from the Baen free library and put it on my nook. I think it looks pretty good.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 AM   #10
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Thanks!

I tried the online epubreader and it seemed to have that same number-over-text problem.
The viewer in version 3.1 of the Sony Reader Library has the page numbers turned off.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I downloaded 1632 from the Baen free library and put it on my nook. I think it looks pretty good.

Looks like a typical eReader format eBook.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
Joykins
Wizard

My nook shipped on Friday...I can't wait!

That pic looks good--that is what I first expected.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
My nook shipped on Friday...I can't wait!

That pic looks good--that is what I first expected.
That's not ePub. That's eReader. Doesn't really look all that good. Doesn't look anything like a book in print would look like.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
Joykins
Wizard

*shrug* my Baen epubs look like that on my nook and they look better than having overprinted page numbers!
Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #15
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Looks like a typical eReader format eBook.
But it was an ePub file.