Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-20-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
JimC
JimC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello from Atlanta

Hello from Atlanta. My name is Jim Chambers. I'm a retired civil engineer who loves to read. I've had a Kindle2 for a couple of months, and I love it. I've recently published my first book on Kindle, and the paperback should be online at Amazon in a few weeks. Besides reading and writing, I love photography, especially underwater photography, and my photographs have been published in publications like National Geographic, Popular Photography, and Parade.

I'm looking forward to meeting you folks!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Photography? HELP! I'm trying to figure out how to photograph jewelry and gemstones. I built a small light tent, tried quite a few light sources, etc. The pic always comes out sort of grayish-yellowish or else with a big shiny glare spot. My skill level is more along the level of switching from sport to portrait settings, and deciding when to use flash. In other words, I suck. Help?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #3
JimC

Hey, DixieGal. You're just three hours west of here.

I've never tried photographing jewelry before, but it sounds like you're on the right track with a light tent and flash. If you have a DSLR, I would recomend a 60 or 105mm macro lens stopped down to a small aperture like f/18 or smaller. Whatever camera you have, if your camera will shoot in RAW mode, you'll have a lot of latitude to adjust white balance and exposure after you shoot. Without knowing more about your camera, that's the best I can recommend. There are so many guides and tutorials online that there must be some good ones on photographing jewelry and other small objects.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello Jim
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi J and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Jim!

We love hearing from new authors!! Be sure and check out the Writers' Corner while you're here.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
Chuck 929
Eye Like e-Ink!
Chuck 929 doesn't litterChuck 929 doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
Welcome Jim. I see that you will have interesting tales to tell.
Chuck 929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
JimC

Thanks, folks, I appreciate the warm welcome!