Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
duskdawns
Enthusiast
duskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-booksduskdawns has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
Paranoia also free at DailyLit and Sony

According to the author's website,

http://www.josephfinder.com/

Paranoia is also free for non-Kindlers at:

http://us.macmillan.com/CMS400/uploa...19144_ePDF.pdf

and

http://www.dailylit.com/books/paranoia

and

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/jos...00000000035896

Incidentally, it was announced that Paranoia will be turned into a movie.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Last edited by duskdawns; 07-08-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Free PDF version available too
duskdawns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Oh freebies, I can't quit you...

Thanks for posting this!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Thanks for that. I was hoping that the previously Kindle-only freebie would also be made available to Sony readers as well.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Yay! Now I need to find a free source for the MaryJo Putney book that's free at the Kindle store but not the Sony store.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #5
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I have come to love the beginning of the Month...all the free books!

I have read some new authors I might not have otherwise tried, and have found I really liked them. I have purchased additional from some of them.

Good Marketing plan!!
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskdawns View Post
According to the author's website,

http://www.josephfinder.com/

Paranoia is also free for non-Kindlers at:

http://www.dailylit.com/books/paranoia

and

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/jos...00000000035896

I am a newbie of freebies. I have a Sony PRS-505, when I go to the Sony website I have to be on a Windows computer, hate to. So I tried the other website (on the Apple) and I don't get it, how do you download it free? RSS, email???? HUH?
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:33 AM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
I am a newbie of freebies. I have a Sony PRS-505, when I go to the Sony website I have to be on a Windows computer, hate to. So I tried the other website (on the Apple) and I don't get it, how do you download it free? RSS, email???? HUH?
DailyLit will mail you from one to four installments in each delivery. You set your preferred frequency, and at the bottom of an installment is a link to request the next one immediately. I choose to get the installments via e-mail as it's just easier than remembering to check my RSS aggregator.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:26 AM   #8
new
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
DailyLit will mail you from one to four installments in each delivery. You set your preferred frequency, and at the bottom of an installment is a link to request the next one immediately. I choose to get the installments via e-mail as it's just easier than remembering to check my RSS aggregator.
That sounds like too much trouble to read it if it is split into pieces, so I went to the Windows computer (Ugh) and downloaded the Sony book. Then I go back to the Apple computer using Calibre and it won't open. That happen to all the .lrx free ones?? What is going on?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
All Sony books have DRM - they can only be read using their software (not Calibre) and their reader hardware.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
All Sony books have DRM - they can only be read using their software (not Calibre) and their reader hardware.
Thanks Karen, I guess I won't mess with free .lrx books until Sony makes their software work with Mac.

Doesn't really make them free then, I see why people don't buy books at Sony now.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
Kokomo Lee
Keeps on Ticking...
Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles, iStuff, Nexus and a partridge
Free Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by duskdawns View Post
Just because Paranoia is free or a movie doesn't mean that it's not out to get you....
(someone had to say it)
Kokomo Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Books purchased (even for free) from Sony's ebookstore can only be downloaded with the Sony Library software on a Windows machine, and Calibre can't read them. They can only be read on a device (computer or Sony Reader) that's been verified to that account.

I'm waiting for Sony to realize how many sales they're missing because of their "protective" practices. (How many brick-and-mortar stores tell you what kind of shoes you have to wear to buy their books, and what kind of lamps you need to read them?)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Books purchased (even for free) from Sony's ebookstore can only be downloaded with the Sony Library software on a Windows machine, and Calibre can't read them. They can only be read on a device (computer or Sony Reader) that's been verified to that account.

I'm waiting for Sony to realize how many sales they're missing because of their "protective" practices. (How many brick-and-mortar stores tell you what kind of shoes you have to wear to buy their books, and what kind of lamps you need to read them?)
Calibre can't read them, but Calibre can copy them onto the reader. I suppose I'm misunderstanding the issue.

I use a Windows computer that is authorized to purchase and download from the Sony store, but appears to not be authorized to read them . I haven't tried to fix it since I just transfer the books to my Reader with Calibre. (It may have only been a one time thing -- I have not tried to read anything within the Sony software since that initial rejection.)

I can only play Blu-Ray discs in a Blu-Ray player, I can only play Wii games on a Wii, and I can only watch satellite TV with a dedicated receiver. There are lots of things thing that I buy that I have to have a dedicated device to use. Having a Windows PC to use Sony software seems to be the same type of thing to me, except that I don't have to purchase a Vaio to do it.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #14
new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
That is a good analogy, LOL.

A free book should be read where you want and on what reading device you want!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #15
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
Then I go back to the Apple computer using Calibre and it won't open. That happen to all the .lrx free ones?? What is going on?
Calibre can't display it, but should be able to copy it to your Reader with no problems. If it doesn't view there, the chances are you've not registered your Reader to your Sony account.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote