Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
Hamad_Spider
Hamad_Spider began at the beginning.

Device: inkBOOK Obsidian
Large screen e-reader for reading pdf documents

Hi.
I want to buy and e-reader (never had one) for reading pdf files and also taking notes. The eye strain made by LCDs really bothers me.
Reading in forums I know that small screen e-readers are not good for reading pdf documents.

After searching I found these devices:

Icarus eXceL 9.7"
Icarus Illumina XL 8"
Cybook Ocean 8"
PocketBook InkPad 8"
ONYX BOOX M96 9.7"
ONYX BOOX N96 ML Front Light 9.7"

which seem to be propper. I'm not sure if PocketBook is still selling the 912 models or not.

I heard that the screen of these e-book readers are really fragile. Is it right? Is it hard to conserve them?
Which is better for reading pdf files, an 8" device or a 9.7" one?
And also which model you think is better for my purpose?
Is it worth waiting for the ONYX BOOX N96?
And finally taking into account the existing models on the market, is it worth buying an e-reader for reading pdf documents and taking notes?

Your guidance is highly appreciated.
Hamad_Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamad_Spider View Post
I heard that the screen of these e-book readers are really fragile. Is it right? Is it hard to conserve them?
Sorry I can't really comment on the specific readers you are inquiring about, but I'll comment on fragility of e-ink.

Many will comment that you absolutely must keep your reader in a cover and it must never ever leave that case. Personally I have never used a case and never broke a screen.
E-ink is MORE FRAGILE than say a screen on a cell phone or tablet, yes. The reason for this is that the substrate of the e-ink is a paper thin (literally, you can search the forums here for pictures from various teardowns if you want to see it) sheet of glass. This means that a sharp impact on the screen can cause the substrate to shatter (rendering the screen useless) even when the surface still looks pristine. IMHO however, the bigger killer of e-ink screens (and more so on the larger devices you are interested in) is from bending or flexing of the device. The glass substrate is rigid but very thin so flexing it can cause it to crack or develop a micro-fracture that may break at a later time (i.e. when a temperature change causes expansion or contraction). You're most likely to run into problems if you are carrying your device in a briefcase/purse etc where you can inadvertently cause pressure that may bend or flex it. A cover may help reduce this a bit, but realistically if you can flex the cover I question how much it helps. I have a wooden case that put mine in when traveling with it. If you are using it at home or your office etc. you won't likely have any issues.
So overall you just need to be aware of how you can hurt it and avoid those conditions (knowing the likely killers is the important part), but as long as you pay a bit of attention they're not super fragile/prone to damage.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

They are more fragile than something like a tablet. That said I've owned quite a few of them and never had a broken one (I don't use a cover, but do use a case/sleeve when transporting). Treating them with care is the big thing.

There is the 13.3" Sony DPTS1 which uses a Mobius eInk screen that's supposed to be more durable. The Mobius screen uses a flexible plastic substrate instead of the glass most eInk uses, but it's quite $$$.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:36 AM   #4
Hamad_Spider

Thank you for useful information.
About N96 and N96ML I found out they are like M96:
"The funny thing about them is they are basically the exact same as the Onyx Boox M96, except they have a new design and a few upgrades." (from http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...e-ink-screens/)
Old 03-03-2016, 04:58 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Many will comment that you absolutely must keep your reader in a cover and it must never ever leave that case. Personally I have never used a case and never broke a screen.
Cases do have protective benefits, but the primary reasons I always use one are that it makes the device more comfortable to hold (cases generally have some "give" in them, which is easier on the hands than the hard metal/plastic of the device), and that it protects the screen from dust, scratches, when not in use. Same reason I always close my laptop when I'm not using it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #6
Hamad_Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There is the 13.3" Sony DPTS1 which uses a Mobius eInk screen that's supposed to be more durable. The Mobius screen uses a flexible plastic substrate instead of the glass most eInk uses, but it's quite $$$.
Sony DPTS1 is really expensive for me!
Unfortunately according to eink.com, Mobius e-ink just has 1.7" and 13.3" versions and we may not see any smaller screen devices using this technology in near future in the market.

Last edited by Hamad_Spider; 03-03-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yes, it's a very expensive device targeted mainly to business. Onyx is supposed to have something coming out using the same 13.3" Mobius screen, but I don't know what their target price point on it is.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-03-2016 at 09:38 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, it's a very expensive device targeted mainly to business. Onyx is supposed to have something coming out using the same 13.3" Mobius screen, but I don't know what their target price point on it is.
€585 + VAT. See this post.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
Hamad_Spider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
€585 + VAT. See this post.
Still expensive and other devices are fragile. I'm not sure if I should wait more or not. Paying a lot of money for a large screen fragile device is not easy. You may suddenly loose all of your money. I have waited 5 years but saw no serious changes in this technology...
Old 03-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I really wouldn't get too hung up on the "fragile" thing. Since 2006, when the Sony PRS-500 came out, I must have owned at least 15 eink devices. Never had a problem with one. Treat it with respect and you'll be fine.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:24 PM   #11
Hamad_Spider

Quote:
I really wouldn't get too hung up on the "fragile" thing. Since 2006, when the Sony PRS-500 came out, I must have owned at least 15 eink devices. Never had a problem with one. Treat it with respect and you'll be fine.
So between the above mentioned devices, do you have any suggestions or ideas for my purpose?

P. S. I also don't know what is the difference between Onyx Boox M96 and Icarus eXcel. Just heard that they are exactly the same.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:57 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

They're the same device, just different firmware. Either can be reflashed with the other's firmware.

I'm afraid I've no opinions; my personal preference is for large-screen tablets for reading PDFs. I use an iPad. I have to read a lot of academic PDFs (I'm studying part-time for a degree in Egyptology) and for me, the iPad works well.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:39 AM   #13
Hamad_Spider

Quote:
They're the same device, just different firmware. Either can be reflashed with the other's firmware.

I'm afraid I've no opinions; my personal preference is for large-screen tablets for reading PDFs. I use an iPad. I have to read a lot of academic PDFs (I'm studying part-time for a degree in Egyptology) and for me, the iPad works well.
Thanks for your guidance.
I need it for the same reason: reading academic PDFs.
Actually with the money you pay for M96, you can buy some of the best tablets but the problem with tablets is eyestrain.
Hence it is not easy for me to make a decision.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:42 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Actually with the money you pay for M96, you can buy some of the best tablets but the problem with tablets is eyestrain.
Hence it is not easy for me to make a decision.
I completely understand. I'm fortunate in that I can read all day on an LCD tablet with no eyestrain problems, but I appreciate that it's a problem for many. Hope you're able to get a device which meets your needs.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:04 AM   #15
Hamad_Spider

Quote:
I completely understand. I'm fortunate in that I can read all day on an LCD tablet with no eyestrain problems, but I appreciate that it's a problem for many. Hope you're able to get a device which meets your needs.
While you had many devices, do you have any ideas about the screen size?
Which is better for reading academic PDFs? An 8" device or a 9" one?

Tags
fragile, large displays, note taking, pdf