Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #1
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Worst Books: What Not to Read 2016

I thought it might be fun to talk about what was the worse read of say, the past year.

I read Our Young Man by Edmund White. I was embarrassed for the author. It was one of the worst novels by a capable writer I have read in a very long time.

I only read the whole thing because I had read some of White's other books and they had some literary merit, so I figured that there would be a twist at the end that would make the whole ordeal of reading the book worthwhile. There wasn't. It just stops basically, as if he got to a point where his word count was up to the minimum he needed to publish the book.

It would never have been published by a large publishing house if he had not been a well-known author.
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I tend not to finish what I consider bad books.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2016, 04:43 PM   #3
Zelandi
Enthusiast
Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zelandi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Letto Frontlight/cybook muse
I don't like to bash books.. what I don't like might be someone elses favourite.. and the other way around..

So I'm not naming this one, but I bought a book that had a great fantasy concept, it felt rather nice and new, in a way. But.. all flat. Characters had no depth, dialogues were stumbling and..I dunno. It felt like everything were repeated and stuff happened all the time but the pace was off and it was just flat..

However, I think it would be a great book for someone with difficulties in understanding written text (sorry, I don't know the correct term in english. Not exactly dyslexia as in difficulties with seeing the letters right, but just understanding written language as oposed to talk). It could be a perfect book for practicing reding, if the person liked that type of stories, simply because it was overly explained and what I concider flat. No need to weave your own guesswork into it.

So.. I guess.. bad for me, but might be a gem for someone else.
Zelandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:32 AM   #4
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Reading a work of fiction should never be an ordeal. I feel no need to continue with a book once I decide I am not enjoying it. Fortunately this does not happen that often, but it does happen. We all have different tastes which is a vary desirable thing. But I have never been of the "take your medicine" or "read this its good for you" school when it comes to books. We are now so spoilt for choice that there is no need to waste time finishing a book you're not enjoying. Nor, unless you are buying from the price fixing Cartel, have you spent so much on a book that you should feel some compulsion to finish it.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Worst of the year so far:
  • Remember Mia, by Alexandra Burt
  • Dark Rooms, by Lili Anolik
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert