Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
irow
irow began at the beginning.

Device: none
will leaving wifi turned on shorten battery life?

this is for the kobo glo. if yes, how much time of battery life does wifi drain?
irow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes it definitely does as the broadcasting signal pumps up juice to keep the wireless working. As for how much, I am not sure. Some claim that it drains the battery pretty fast but it may be some kind of glitch in their case though I cannot be sure. I only turn on the Wi Fi to update my reader, check on new stuff online then I turn it off.
What other needs could you have to keep it on at all times ?
I suggest you turn it off when reading.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Simple. Turn your wireless on, check your percentage of charge before and after reading for a couple hours, rinse and repeat with wireless off and make your own comparison.

I've noticed it takes a considerable percentage away if I'm messing around with the built-in experimental browser on the Touch... Didn't bother noting exact numbers as I'm sure it'll vary with the number of page loads, distance to router, etc. Bear in mind the screen updates a lot more often, even in the partial screen update mode, and likely draws a fair bit to do so if there are moving elements on web pages.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
On my Touch, even doing a sync with nothing actually downloading can easily knock 5-10% off of the battery. :/
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just spent 30 minutes reading with the wifi and light on and only lost 1% of battery. Not sure about the ratio of energy consumption in different modes.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Quote:
will leaving wifi turned on shorten battery life?
Yes, of course it will.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by irow View Post
this is for the kobo glo. if yes, how much time of battery life does wifi drain?
If you aren't using the WiFi, the battery drain is pretty minimal. OTOH, if you are syncing the Glo or using the web browser, the battery drain is pretty significant -- about 2% on mine to do a sync.

My personal preference is to leave WiFi off unless I'm actually using it. This might make up for the battery drain from having a SD card in the ereader all the time.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote