Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #1
eddiek
Enthusiast
eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Would you use an eBook Lending Library

This is a question I am interested in. Would you guys have any interest in a website that allows eBook reading enthusiasts to lend out ebooks to others? As we know many eBooks now allow for you to lend eBooks to friends (particularly the Nook and Kindle). What this theoretical website would do is allow members to post books that they have that are lendable. The could then trade (by lending) their books with others.

For example if you own a book for your Nook that you have already read, you could post that you have it available. Someone else that wants to read that book but is having a hard time getting it from the public library and doesn't want to purchase it, could then lend it from you in exchange for one of their books.

I was wondering if anyone would have interest in a website like this.

Thanks for your feedback.

Eddie

Last edited by eddiek; 01-20-2011 at 10:45 AM.
eddiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
sunnysmiles
Addict
sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sunnysmiles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I pad air, kindle pw2 and kindle touch , kindle had fire Nook pad nook
I would be interested in that . My local library has some ebooks to lend but is very limited in what they have .
sunnysmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
This is a question I am interested in. Would you guys have any interest in a website that allows eBook reading enthusiasts to lend out ebooks to others? As we know many eBooks now allow for you to lend eBooks to friends (particularly the Nook and Kindle). What this theoretical website would do is allow members to post books that they have that are lendable. The could then trade (by lending) their books with others.
There are already several websites which offer this service, as well as lending groups on social networking sites like Facebook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you google "ebook lending" you'll see various clubs already exist (nook) or are starting to pop up (Kindle).

For the Kindle there is a Facebook lending page and in the Kindle forum, someone is developing a lending website.

If your goal is to create a lending site/program, I guess you could check out what is available now and improve or build on it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
eddiek
Enthusiast
eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Guys, I am working on a pretty decent idea. I have the site up and am just finishing it now. What I would really like are some suggestions and/or anyone willing to help out and moderate.

Let me know
Eddie

Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
I already do use two of them. The Free Library of Philadelphia and Eskilstuna Stadsbibliotek.

Neither has much of what I like to read. I suppose it's inevitable that a reading method for techies will be biased towards techie genres. There seems to be a preponderance of SF&F, not to say hi-tech war and crime.

I seem to be better off at gutenberg.org.

<sigh>
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
I already do use two of them. The Free Library of Philadelphia and Eskilstuna Stadsbibliotek.
You've misread the original poster's message. He's NOT asking about this sort of library.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
Guys, I am working on a pretty decent idea. I have the site up and am just finishing it now. What I would really like are some suggestions and/or anyone willing to help out and moderate.

Let me know
Eddie
Eddie,

What do you feel that the benefit of your site is over those that are already out there? What new features are you bringing to the table?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Would you guys have any interest in a website that allows eBook reading enthusiasts to lend out ebooks to others?
Lending and borrowing ebooks?... absolutely I'm interested.
With strangers via some third-party website?... not even remotely intrigued. Sorry.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
eddiek
Enthusiast

Honestly HarryT, the sites you ponted me too and the one I found online are extremely unorganized. The goal of our site is to make books easier to find and easier to trade.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
eddiek
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Lending and borrowing ebooks?... absolutely I'm interested.
With strangers via some third-party website.?... not even remotely intrigued. Sorry.
What is it about trading with strangers that turns you off? If it is completely legal, whats the difference between trading with strangers online than a friend you know offline?
Old 01-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
What is it about trading with strangers that turns you off? If it is completely legal, whats the difference between trading with strangers online than a friend you know offline?
The difference is simple: the lender must know the borrower's email address (at least with Amazon's lending implementation) and I only use one email address. I have no desire to go through the hassle of setting up disposable email addresses that I can safely distribute to strangers. Not to mention the email address I would have to create just to sign up for your experimental website.

No offense, but I see many of these sites becoming the very type of thing that got the original version of Napster in trouble. What kind of checks and balances will you provide to ensure that people aren't using your site to spread pirated copies of ebooks?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The lending feature in its current format is so limited I am not sure that joining such a site would be worth it. If I lend books with folks it will be family and friends.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
eddiek
Enthusiast

Thanks for you input DiapDealer. I see your concern with the email issue. However, some people are more concerned about handing their email out to strangers than others. I personally don't have any issues with giving my email address to a stranger to trade an ebook, just like I don't when I purchase an item from ebay, or sign up to forums like this one.

As for pirated material, we will be taking precautions against this the best we can. As far as I know it is very difficult to lend pirated kindle books.

Anyone else have any concerns, or suggestion? Also if anyone is interested in helping out with this new site, please send me a PM.

Old 01-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You may want to provide a link to the site. How can anyone decide if they want to participate/assist if they don't know what they are participating/assiting in?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote