Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #1
jabook
jabook began at the beginning.

Device: none
Searching books - question

Dear all,

I am interested in the ebook readers from Pocketbook and actively collecting information about the possibilities of these readers. I cannot however find information regarding the search for the books. Suppose I have thousand(s) of books in various directories on the SD card and I need to pick up the right one (by author, year, or topic, which are contained the name of each book file). Can I search on Pocketbooks within directory and across all directories for book/file names (sorting is definitely not enough)? Can one search just for a string contained in the file name or are also some regular expressions possible (to search for example only files of a given format by specifying its extension).
Thank you.

Best regards,

Ja
jabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:15 AM   #2
darkforce
Enthusiast
darkforce began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
- You can sort by title, author, series or creation time.
- You can search in specific folder or all books.

It's easier to use calibre to organize your books rather than put all in one folder.
darkforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Ja. Yup, Calibre, I agree, is a must-have. Superbly effective software and simple to handle. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #4
jabook

Thank you for quick replies.

darkforce writes "You can search in specific folder or all books" - that is what interest me. Is it possible to search / just by text in the file name / by regular expressions for file name / or even by looking for some text within all books? Or does one search by text contained in the author / title substrings? How does a reader deals with PDFs that do not have author/title, for instance? I ask because I could not find anything on the topic in the manuals of PB readers.

I have seen calibre (and some other nice tools), but I have no idea how would that help me with the management of the books on the reader (except for tagging everything, but then again some formats [PDF] do not store any tags, right? and maybe tags are not transfer to a reader in general?). I need to have all the books and files (meaning PDF which do not have author/title/tag fields) available on the reader and I need to be able to search them by multiple criteria. Tagging would work, but it is a lot of work and does not work with all files (PDF - correct me if I am wrong).

Further, while I know I can sort the books in the folders, it does not help if there are hundreds of books in each folder. You might ask why not to sort the books (well, it is more about articles in my case) in folders, for example, by author. No chance - many articles have more authors (duplicating) and I would not be able to find a book by anything else (e.g., topic / title).

Thanks a lot for your help. Ja

---

Quick summary: need to search files (meaning including books in PDF that cannot store tags etc.) by multiple criteria such as author, year, topic, but only one criterium at the same time

Last edited by jabook; 10-15-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Hi jabook,

I have a PB360. As far as I can see you can use the 'Find book' feature to search current folder or all_books for a simple text string contained in filename and/or title and/or authorname. For PDFs that would be filename, so as long as you give your PDFs meaningful names you'll be able to find them.

I can't see a way to search by genre or year unless you have included this info in the filename. There is no Regular expression searching.

I'd just like to reiterate that Calibre is more than capable of searching the way you want, even PDF files (and any other ebook format) and regular expressions. Calibre is also capable of sophisticated naming of files as you send them to the PB (and any other reader) so you can include any metadata you like in the filename. I suppose there may be a filename length limit but I haven't pushed hard enough to find out.

When Calibre is connected to your reader it displays a column showing whether a particular book is already on the reader. So if you ran a complex search on Calibre with the reader connected you would be able to see which of them were already transferred.

Of course, I cannot say what the new PB models will be capable of (one would have to hope they haven't regressed).

If I've got any of the above wrong I'm sure someone will be along to put the record straight.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
jabook

Hi jackie,

thank you, your answer is really helpful as I want to have a large set of materials on the reader for reference purposes at times when I do not have a computer and its tools around. As long as file names can be around 60 characters long (or more), it should be fine.

Best,

Ja
Old 10-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
darkforce
Enthusiast
darkforce began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 360
Ok, I got your problem, Ja.
In calibre, you can change preferences: the way calibre save to disk or device.
(Preferences >> Add/Save >> Saving books & Sending to device)
For example, I set use "save template" for Saving books like this:
{tags}/{series}/{title}

Then I put tag as category of books. So books will place in folder of tags and series, with title as their file names.

Hope you get some idea :-)
darkforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
jabook

Yes, I get the idea - thank you. I have looked at the regular expression for import ("guessing metadata from file name") and patterns for export ("saving metadata to folder and file names") and it looks quite powerful. Now I just have to find the right regular expressions for importing whatever info I currently have in the existing filenames and I will (almost) be ready for an e-reader ;-)