Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Chicago Public Library / Overdrive

I know this has been posted before, but "big city" libraries offer downloadable media, including e-books.

I decided to try this, since I'm now in Chicago and got my library card yesterday evening. It was painless. Go to the site, browse media, go through a simple "checkout" process where I registered my MobiPocket PID (one time only step), and then downloaded the book.

I was able to get my book onto my Reader through the typical route one takes with DRM'd mobi files.

I expect that the PC copy of the book with Mobipocket Reader will self-delete or otherwise become unreadable after the 21 day loan period. It will be up to me to honor that and manually delete the book on my Reader.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Good point, Taylor.
For anyone who wants to explore ebook libraries further, there's a list on our wiki here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I should point out that when I've done this with ebooks in PDF format that I've checked out from digital libraries and that I've read on my Sony Reader via Adobe Digital Editions, the expiration date (2 or 3 weeks depending on the library) shows up on the Reader in the menu. Once the expiration date is reached, it displays "Expired" but continues to be readable for another 2 or 3 weeks. That is, I believe it is automatically renewed for the normal checkout period.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:15 PM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will see what happens on my Reader, with the altered/convered Mobi file. I highly doubt there will be any expiration issue, because it's not longer in the native format. With Adobe Books, Sony has native software on the Reader for that. But as I said, out of respect for libraries in general, I will respect the expiration and delete the book when I'm done with it.

I was surprised at how easy it was. I expected a bigger hassle. Nope. Library card number, zip code, checkout, download, done.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I check out eBooks from the Fairfax, VA public library in ADE and they do disappear after 21 days.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Yes with ADE. Again, Sony Reader has native ADE support. I checked out a Mobi book, however. To steps it took to read it on my Reader, which doesn't have Mobi support, likely rendered the expiration mechanism inoperable.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:22 AM   #7
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
This is probably a silly question however what is the normal route for DRM'd mobi books?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
This is probably a silly question however what is the normal route for DRM'd mobi books?
Use mobidedrm to strip the DRM, then Calibre to format shift. Since the DRM has gone, so has the 21 day time limit.

Many libraries also offer Adobe ebooks (again from OverDrive), which are readable directly on the PRS-505, but the MOBI route is the only option for the PRS-500. Most other EInk devices (including the Kindle, via kindlefix) can read the DRMed MOBIs from OverDrive. So the PRS-500 is unusual in not being able to read either of the two library DRMed ebook formats.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Use mobidedrm to strip the DRM, then Calibre to format shift. Since the DRM has gone, so has the 21 day time limit.

Many libraries also offer Adobe ebooks (again from OverDrive), which are readable directly on the PRS-505, but the MOBI route is the only option for the PRS-500. Most other EInk devices (including the Kindle, via kindlefix) can read the DRMed MOBIs from OverDrive. So the PRS-500 is unusual in not being able to read either of the two library DRMed ebook formats.
If you can strip the DRM from a Mobipocket eBook, why bother with Kindlefix (for those who own a Kindle)?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you can strip the DRM from a Mobipocket eBook, why bother with Kindlefix (for those who own a Kindle)?
Because there is an ethical problem in stripping DRM, particular for a book you do not own. It is called copyright infringement or some would say stealing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Because there is an ethical problem in stripping DRM, particular for a book you do not own. It is called copyright infringement or some would say stealing.

Dale
If you are an ethical person, you can just delete it when the time is up.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #12
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
Ethical problem no doubt but the "copyright infringement" thing depends on the country you live in.

For example in Spain or Poland (and possibly in many other european countries) you can legally download eBooks that had been illegaly shared. It's called fair use (and is legal) as long as you don't share it yourself which means you can't use peer2peer networks but Rapidshare, Megaupload and the like are all fine to download from.

To make it clear: this is not the way it works in the US.
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In the USA, stripping the DRM is illegal per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Not that anyone will ever know you've done it if you don't post that you have in a public forum or something…
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
In the USA, stripping the DRM is illegal per the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

Not that anyone will ever know you've done it if you don't post that you have in a public forum or something…
If the eBook in question prevents a read aloud feature like with MS Reader's DRM, then the exception to the DMCA is that you CAN legally remove the DRM.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #15
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If the eBook in question prevents a read aloud feature like with MS Reader's DRM, then the exception to the DMCA is that you CAN legally remove the DRM.
I'd like to see that tested in a court of law, where someone who is not handicapped enough to need a read-aloud feature (or indeed, who doesn't even use one at all) uses that as a defense. Something tells me it wouldn't get very far.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library