Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Kindle Paperwhite-Questions on Light & Time to Read

I keep going back and forth on buying a Paperwhite because of the blotchy lighting issues many people seem to be having. That said, I have a few questions.

1. My M-edge light I use on my KK is pretty bright when reading in a dark room. Sometimes it bothers my husband because the light shines on his side of the bed. Is the Paperwhite's light less likely to light up the room compared to the clip on LED lights?

2. I really like the "Time to Read" feature and wish they would update all models with it, but I doubt that's going to happen. Anyway, is this feature on all of the books or just certain ones?
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
1. I find the light a lot less intrusive in the room.

2. It seems to be on most of the books that I have read since I got the PW in October. A very few of them didn't give the chapter totals, only the whole book total.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Tinks
Zealot
Tinks doesn't litterTinks doesn't litter

Device: Voyage
Thanks for the information. I mostly have freebie books so that's why I was concerned that Time to Read might not be a feature for every book. Have you noticed if the feature is present on the unpublished freebie books?
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Does time to read only work on books purchased from Amazon, or does it work on books from, say, Baen and side-loaded? that is, is it a function intrinsic to the book or to the reader?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
As far as I can tell, time to read works on all books. I will encounter glitches sometimes when the Kindle sees a chapter break in the middle of a chapter (when a few empty lines occur), or when it does not see any chapters at all.
I don't know yet how a chapter break is designated in a mobi book, or what the conversion process uses to tag a chapter break, but that is probably the source of the few errors that I have encountered.
Someday I will have to look into that, as the accuracy of chapter break locations has become more important with this very nifty feature.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I would imagine that the time to read in chapter depends on a conforming (to amazon standards) and working TOC in the file. I see some books that only have cover, beginning, and end in the TOC that you can access in the goto section of the kindle. Don't have a PW yet to corrolate a missing external TOC and or hyperlinked inside book TOC with the missing time to read in chapter feature. I strongly suspect though that it needs both: hyperlinked TOC and "external" TOC.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
The light lights up the room much less than using a separate clip on light. As for Time To Read, it's been on every book I have read, including all of my side loaded books.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Many of the freebies I download seem to have clean chapter breaks that make good use of the time to read feature.

I put a series of four epubs I bought from Harlequin together with the Calibre ePubMerge plugin, converted to MOBI, uploaded to my PW, and it told me the total time to read was just over 10 hours, which knowing the author was correct for my typical reading speed (although it does adjust I've noticed depending on what I'm reading). Chapter breaks are present in each of the books and give me an pretty accurate time left in each chapter.

Quote:
very nifty feature
I agree. So much so I find myself looking for time left when I read my Kindle Keyboard (it goes to and from work with me for the TTS feature).
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I would upgrade to a PW for time to read alone, now that I have been using it. I can't imagine ever wanting to go back willingly - and I bought a new K4 when I bought the PW!!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote