Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #166
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iteria View Post
I have a Nook HD+ you can play side loaded videos. You just have to make sure it's a supported format.
Me too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #167
Iteria
Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+
I managed to successful sideload an app, but I was wondering if anyone knew a method to pin sideloaded apps to the homepage. Getting to them is too annoying.
Iteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #168
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
I managed to successful sideload an app, but I was wondering if anyone knew a method to pin sideloaded apps to the homepage. Getting to them is too annoying.
You could try to sideload an alternative launcher.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #169
Iteria
Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iteria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
You could try to sideload an alternative launcher.
Could you suggest one? Also, how would it help? Sorry if I'm ignorant on this, I never considered it.

EDIT: Never mind, I found one. I installed Aplex and it's working like a charm. The only problem I have is accessing things I bought from B&N. I wonder if sideloading the nook app will solve this problem.

Last edited by Iteria; 11-17-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #170
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Could you suggest one? Also, how would it help? Sorry if I'm ignorant on this, I never considered it.

EDIT: Never mind, I found one. I installed Aplex and it's working like a charm. The only problem I have is accessing things I bought from B&N. I wonder if sideloading the nook app will solve this problem.
The nook app would be self-contained, it would allow you to download your content and read it on the device, but you couldn't use the native apps on the device that way.

If the nook native apps do not show on the alternative launcher, you can not set a default launcher and then alternate between the default launcher and the one you installed when you press the Home button, based on whether you want to access your apps, or the native ones.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #171
Iteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The nook app would be self-contained, it would allow you to download your content and read it on the device, but you couldn't use the native apps on the device that way.

If the nook native apps do not show on the alternative launcher, you can not set a default launcher and then alternate between the default launcher and the one you installed when you press the Home button, based on whether you want to access your apps, or the native ones.
The Nook native apps do show up in the launcher. I got at my books by using Aplex to pin activities (I'm not sure if this is possible in other launchers). The activity I pinned was the Library activity denoted as "com.bn.nook.library.MainActivity" for anyone who is interested. You can get at the shop by pinning the shop by pin the activity denoted, "com.bn.nook.shop.WebStorefrontActivity"
Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #172
afv011
Captain Penguin

Then you can make the alternative launcher the default one. All launchers on the market allow you to pin apps, it's a basic feature.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #173
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I have the Nook Tablet and I've always been able to sideload my own books. When I install a blank SD card, the Nook writes a "My Files" folder to it that contains these folders: Books, Documents, Magazines, Music, Newspapers, NOOK Kids Recordings, Pictures, and Videos. Essentially, the same folders that are in the main memory. It doesn't matter whether I copy books to the Books folder in main memory or the SD card, they show up in my library.

I just assumed the Color worked the same as the Tablet. I don't use Windows Media Player either. I use Calibre!
I just pulled out the year-old NC and tried to get something into its true LIBRARY without sideloading over a USB-tethered connection because ... once the HD goes live, we're talking Windows MP 11 which I don't want to use, period.

Dropbox (an app available for both the NC and HD in the B&N market) doesn't get files into the NC's library. It's not IMPOSSIBLE to read a dropbox-provided book, but it's difficult and I couldn't reproduce the steps I took to accomplish that one-time successful task with a gun to my head.

And an old complaint: There's no real Nook file manager which will allow one to get files from or to the SD card or from online Dropbox storage to the NC's primary storage where items may become part of the device's official LIBRARY.

Just do it, already. B&N. This is tired. You're asking at least $200 for your toy.

Last edited by oj829; 11-19-2012 at 10:30 AM.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #174
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I pulled the trigger on the HD+ at Target today. I also did them a favor and got most of the display models online and updated Working Google Play was the last straw--the HD+ is looking like another great tinkerer's tablet from B&N. I imagine I'll get hacking after laundry tonight.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 PM   #175
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LAst week Target had the HD+ for $45.00 off.
Apache
Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #176
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Last week the target near me didn't even have the HDs.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #177
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
LAst week Target had the HD+ for $45.00 off.
Apache
And you're just now telling us this week?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:33 AM   #178
Apache
Readaholic

Nope. I posted in this thread and one in the Nook Forums. Unfortunately I did not check my typing, in this thread, and hit $16.00 instead of $45.00.
This was my local small town Georgia Target. I do not know about any others.
Apache
Old 11-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #179
taosaur
intelligent posterior

Google Play and Titanium Backup are installed and I popped the 32GB SD out of my NC and into my HD The screen is great and the 2.0.2 firmware is fairly snappy. Coming from the NC the screen seems huge, but so crisp. I watched the web series Dynamo on here while I was troubleshooting some boot problems on the NC and it was gorgeous. It does feel a little large for a reading tablet, but worst case scenario I use big margins
Old 11-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #180
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
And an old complaint: There's no real Nook file manager which will allow one to get files from or to the SD card or from online Dropbox storage to the NC's primary storage where items may become part of the device's official LIBRARY.

Just do it, already. B&N. This is tired. You're asking at least $200 for your toy.
There is a free file manager app available:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/open...=2940043894236
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote