Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: November 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
This Perfect Day by Ira Levin 6 8.45%
Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi 6 8.45%
Heaven by Jack Cohen and Ian Stewart 3 4.23%
Hyperion by Dan Simmons 11 15.49%
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley 6 8.45%
Dune by Frank Herbert 6 8.45%
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick 9 12.68%
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card 8 11.27%
A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller 12 16.90%
Halting State by Charles Stross 4 5.63%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #61
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
The nominations this month are so interesting that I have forgotten which book I voted for except the ones I am sure I didn’t vote. Huff!! I couldn’t have said it more clearly.
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #62
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't know which one I wanted to read the most so I picked the only one I happened to own in ebook that I hadn't already read.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'll PM you!
But are you sure you picked the best book? I know I'm sure I did. So please don't PM unless you picked the same book as me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
I think A Canticle For Leibowitz and Fuzzy Nation offer good discussion value for the group. That's a criterion I hadn't considered. They appear to explore themes relevant to current events.
But you do know that Fuzzy Nation is part of a series and not book one? That basically leaves it out of the running. The other is only available in large print PDF or large print mobi from one store and I have no idea if there are geographic restrictions or not. So in order to get a good read out of A Canticle For Leibowitz, you'd have to buy the mobi, strip the DRM and possibly convert as the PDF is not going to read well and the mobi won't work on any reader. So really, both of these books I hope are out of the running due to the issues mentioned.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:09 AM   #65
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But are you sure you picked the best book? I know I'm sure I did. So please don't PM unless you picked the same book as me.
Ha. I was just about to pick that book.

Quote:
But you do know that Fuzzy Nation is part of a series and not book one? That basically leaves it out of the running. The other is only available in large print PDF or large print mobi from one store
Oh, or maybe I wasn't.

Yeah, Canticle should be disqualified. A Shame. Fuzzy Nation, though, is re-boot of an old series, according to the reiviews. A different author took the same world and some of the same characters, but created a very different story with them. It's a new beginning, and there's no need to read the old series.

OTHOH, Fuzzy Nation is a new release. Others on the list are heavy hitters that have won awards or stood the test of time. In that vein, there's Hyperion (Hugo Award) and Halting State (Hugo Nominee) and others that I won't name cuz I've read them and don't want them to win. This Perfect Day is very highly rated, but ATM I'm not excited by the notion of 1984 on anabolic steroids.

So. Hyperion, a classic sci-fi favorite. Halting State, a recent shining star. Fuzzy Nation, a new release that looks fun & relevant but hasn't earned the credibility that comes with awards and staying power.

Last edited by Kevin8or; 10-23-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #66
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
The other is only available in large print PDF or large print mobi from one store
Quote:
Yeah, Canticle should be disqualified.
Why should Canticle be disqualified? It's available as an e-book and it's sci-fi. It seems perfectly eligible to me.

And I'll also say it again: If you google for an ebook of Canticle, there are some sites offering it for free (and apparently with regular-sized print). I have absolutely no idea if these sites are legal or not; they may be but I'm not familiar with those things and only saw the sites quickly as I was looking for ebook versions of the book.

I don't mean to be advertising an illegal way of obtaining the book if they turn out to be so (and that's the reason I'm not linking the sites), but since no one has yet responded to my last mention of it saying they're not kosher, I still think they're fair to consider.

And even if they weren't or aren't, there's still the one site selling it cheaply and definitely legally.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #67
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[Kevin8or wonders what the elders will say.]
Old 10-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #68
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do not wonder, since the selection has already been qualified and approved.

Last edited by sun surfer; 10-23-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #69
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
It's not in the lead anyway.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #70
Kevin8or
Guru

Eh? Oh, I didn't mean to argue anything. I was just having fun thinking out loud about the choices. If I had slowed down and thought twice, I wouldn't have written, "Yeah, Canticle should be disqualified." In fact, I would love to read A Canticle For Leibowitz. I thought it was out of the running because:

Quote:
But you do know that Fuzzy Nation is part of a series and not book one? That basically leaves it out of the running. The other is only available in large print PDF or large print mobi from one store and I have no idea if there are geographic restrictions or not. So in order to get a good read out of A Canticle For Leibowitz, you'd have to buy the mobi, strip the DRM and possibly convert as the PDF is not going to read well and the mobi won't work on any reader. So really, both of these books I hope are out of the running due to the issues mentioned.
I was reading and writing carelessly, and I apologize if I tweaked you in any way. Call it a case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Quote:
I do not wonder, since the selection has already been qualified and approved.
My wondering, here, was whether we'd buy large-print e-books, or whether there'd be a wink and nod to your suggestion of googling our way to a free normal-sized copy. (I had done as you suggested and googled on "A Canticle For Leibowitz e-book". The 3rd result was a free .epub download, but the legality was dubious.)

Anyway, cheers and a happy week-end.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #71
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

D'oh! I missed your subtleness; no harm taken I hope. I was trying to explain things to anyone who may not have voted yet, so they wouldn't get the idea that it could be disqualified and not vote for it. After all, it could be tied for the lead at the moment! (Of course the moderators are probably having a right good laugh at the moment, as it might only have one vote. )
Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #72
Kevin8or
Guru

We're good, then. I'm glad.

See you all Monday. /me signs off.

P.S. - It's got at least two votes!
Old 10-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #73
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
We're good, then. I'm glad.

See you all Monday. /me signs off.

P.S. - It's got at least two votes!
We'll just see about that, eh?

(it's definitely a great book though!)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Time till the vote is over...

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/...3&sec=00&p0=43
Old 10-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #75
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Nice! Thanks
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote