Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
ARTMITCH
ARTMITCH began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
Thumbs up NOOK TOTALLY WORKS IN CANADA NOW!

I have just received a new NOOK Wi-fi today. 1st I went to B&N web site and registered an account with a Canadian address and a Canadian credit card. I had already charged the NOOK. I then turned it on and it had software version 1.4.0, I think (forgot to write it down). I then went to register the NOOK and it completed the registration without any problem. I DID NOT HAVE AN AMERICAN ADDRESS for anything when I registered on their web site. The NOOK then proceeded to download the latest version 1.5.0 and completed the download, install and reboot totally without a problem. As far as I can tell everything works as it should including access to B&N store. I bought the NOOK from an American web site that has a sister Canadian web site and it was mailed to me via Canada Post from BC without ant further charges. My total cost for the NOOK was $179.99 USD and a leather case for it was $25.00 USD and the shipping was $24.58. Total of $229.57 USD. Total cost Canadian was $237.80. For those worrying about it working here in Canada, it does. If you go to B&N web site to the NOOK support page and look at the manual, you will see that it now lists Canada as a country where it can be used. The manual also shows it as version 1.5.0. Hope this helps some of you. Good luck.
Art
PS Need more info, contact me!
ARTMITCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
fascha
fascha began at the beginning.

Device: nook
That's amazing! I ordered my nook to a friend's place in Florida. Unfortunately I have to wait for them to come back with it in mid-January

I am thrilled to hear that it will now work in Canada without having to get creative. Now I can spend more time figuring out what rooting is vs how to get books onto my nook in Canada.
fascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
ARTMITCH

ROOT VERSION 1.5.0 BRICKS UNIT

BETTER CHECK OUT ROOTING AS I HAVE HEARD, SEEN, THAT THIS VERSION 1.5.0 CAN'T BE ROOTED. IT BRICKS THE UNIT.
MAYBE SOMEONE WILL FIGURE IT OUT.
ART
Old 12-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Where did you order it?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTMITCH View Post
BETTER CHECK OUT ROOTING AS I HAVE HEARD, SEEN, THAT THIS VERSION 1.5.0 CAN'T BE ROOTED. IT BRICKS THE UNIT.
MAYBE SOMEONE WILL FIGURE IT OUT.
ART
It was the units starting with serial #s of 1003 and up. They can be rooted now, but it is a bit more complex to do than before.

See if you can order a book via your Nook. They always worked here, but B&N restricts some books outside the U.S..
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
ibdave
ibdave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Have you bought books from BN yet? The issue was that only certain retailers are authorized to sell certain books in a given jurisdiction. There always was allowed access in Canada since a few BN items are OK in Canada. I bought a nook since wider access including ADE borrowing from my public library, Kindle is much more restrictive.
ibdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
ARTMITCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Where did you order it?
HERE IS THE LINK
http://www.shopereaders.com/
ART
Old 12-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #8
Roscopcoletrain
Roscopcoletrain began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I got mine for Xmas, but there are books I cant purchase. Need a us cc it seems. So, can you buy a ebook gift card and use that?
Roscopcoletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Lucky you! because Puerto Rico is also listed in the user manual and they treat us like international!!

Quote:
I have just received a new NOOK Wi-fi today. 1st I went to B&N web site and registered an account with a Canadian address and a Canadian credit card. I had already charged the NOOK. I then turned it on and it had software version 1.4.0, I think (forgot to write it down). I then went to register the NOOK and it completed the registration without any problem. I DID NOT HAVE AN AMERICAN ADDRESS for anything when I registered on their web site. The NOOK then proceeded to download the latest version 1.5.0 and completed the download, install and reboot totally without a problem. As far as I can tell everything works as it should including access to B&N store. I bought the NOOK from an American web site that has a sister Canadian web site and it was mailed to me via Canada Post from BC without ant further charges. My total cost for the NOOK was $179.99 USD and a leather case for it was $25.00 USD and the shipping was $24.58. Total of $229.57 USD. Total cost Canadian was $237.80. For those worrying about it working here in Canada, it does. If you go to B&N web site to the NOOK support page and look at the manual, you will see that it now lists Canada as a country where it can be used. The manual also shows it as version 1.5.0. Hope this helps some of you. Good luck.
Art
PS Need more info, contact me!
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
HERE IS THE LINK
http://www.shopereaders.com/
ART
Oh, you bought it from the pirate ebook website.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, nook, version 1.5, wi-fi