Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-17-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Exclamation Sigil Preferences / Configuration Wiped

I've just opened Sigil to edit the margins in a book as they are a little too small. When I did all my preferences, saved searches, plugins, saved clips, etc were missing. Sigil's GUI had reverted to its default state.

I installed V1.8.0 on 25 October 21 and I have edited books since then and there were no issues with Sigil. I'm running Windows 10 Home on a Dell Inspiron laptop.

I've attached a screen shot showing the current .INI files from my laptop on the left hand side of the image. The right hand side shows the files from a backup last week.

The only thing I've been doing that I haven't used regularly before is using Calibre's 'Send to device' option to load my library onto my new ereader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sigil Files.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	190292  
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:01 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Looks to me like your entire sigil preferences directory got deleted somehow. Every single file/folder in there is brand new.

Not sure how that could happen, but I do know Sigil couldn't do it.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2021, 01:24 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
No ideas either here. And as DiapDealer said there are *no* routines in Sigil to remove the entire Sigil Preferences folder. It is meant to stay as is across installations, upgrades, etc.

I would guess the culprit is some silly clean up or anti-virus program that was overzealous. Other ideas would be a network drive mounted incorrectly overtop things or you may have logged in under a different user name somehow without realizing it and are looking at two different places (same relative place but for different users).
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:32 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or along the lines of logging in as a different user: perhaps you changed the location of your Sigil prefs directory by setting (or deleting) an environment variable.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:59 PM   #5
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Thanks for taking a look. Your thoughts on what could have caused this made me think that this happened by mistake. My last backup was onto a new USB drive and I did it manually. In light of your comments its possible I moved the Sigil files instead of copying them i.e. cut and paste instead of copy and paste!

I'll restore the preferences folder which should correct the problem.

This just goes to show the importance of backing up your files.

Thanks again for the help.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2021, 06:16 AM   #6
Binchen
Connoisseur
Binchen began at the beginning.

Device: Abakus
Sigil might not do it. What aboput Plugins? Some of them do store their preferences as JSON files in the prefs directory. Some do read (and write ?) other stuff from the pref dir.

MickiTee: Do you remember what Plugins you used?
Binchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:46 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

They already explained what they think happened. There is no mystery.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:15 AM   #8
Binchen
Connoisseur
Binchen began at the beginning.

Device: Abakus
I apologize for not sending my message immediately after writing it and for not checking again if there was already a solution. I will not do it again. I mean to write something here in general.
Binchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:42 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binchen View Post
Sigil might not do it. What aboput Plugins? Some of them do store their preferences as JSON files in the prefs directory. Some do read (and write ?) other stuff from the pref dir.
To answer this part of your question: No single PI (or even Sigil) touches everything in the config folder (in a single Go).
As the OP pointed out: Users (or cleaners) are the only way once the files are created. Glitches might corrupt a single FILE (been there, keep spares now)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote