Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #61
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Sure, some ISO boards have bar shaped enter but they STILL have a cut down left shift and "|" because some ISO boards do. Why else put that there?

I can't use an ISO keyboard to map every key on a JIS Japanese keyboard as it's still missing 4 keys. So no, ISO doesn't work perfectly for every language layout.
Of course not, but it's better than the 1 key less keyboards common and I have such with USA print (there are TWO |\ keys). My argument isn't that ISO suits everything, but that the reduced US layout is inflicted on the world, yet the keyboards with more keys work in USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
I'm guessing by your desire to further cut down shift and backspace you're not a touch typist. Making those keys harder to hit with your pinky for the sake of 1 or 2 keys that would be completely pointless for typing English or programming and is just hurting ergonomics on already bad ergonomics.
I want to INCREASE the 1.5x size Left shift and decrease the often more 3x size Right shift proportionately. The BS key only needs to be 2x wide for touch typests. It doesn't need to be 2.5 to 3.5

The basic IBM USA only PC layout should never have existed. You can have better Ergonomic single physical layout for USA and other Englishes, all European, Middle Eastern and Cyrillic. Probably suit some alphabetic Asian languages too.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #62
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
People seem to be esp. enamored with Freewrite keyboards. Wouldn't a more flexible solution be a laptop with mechanical switches runnung DarkRoom -- something like the Eluktronics Mech-15 line -- or simply a tablet with a bluetooth mech keyboard like the Keychron or Varmilo VB87?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #63
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
People seem to be esp. enamored with Freewrite keyboards. Wouldn't a more flexible solution be a laptop with mechanical switches runnung DarkRoom -- something like the Eluktronics Mech-15 line -- or simply a tablet with a bluetooth mech keyboard like the Keychron or Varmilo VB87?
Yeah, I suggested DarkRoom way back before the pandemic times in this thread. I can see the drawbacks, though. I bought my wife a writing laptop and she still gets, shall way say, distracted by the other things it can do other than serve as a writing machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I guess it's about what you have and what you need. For example, I carry my old beat-up Chromebook everywhere. It has Evernote, DarkRoom, a Pomodoro timer app, and some ambient sound apps. But if you don't have an everyday carry machine, I can see the value of one of the others.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #64
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Got $899 bucks to spend?

If so, you could be an owner of the limited Hemingwrite edition w/Briefcase, from Astrohaus.

Supply is limited, so you better get your money together now! (I would suggest paying in pennies, so they'll be forced to count every one.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:27 AM   #65
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^

Well, it's gone. Sold out! Chow-chow-chow.

I didn't buy one; it's too expensive. You know how when you pass a beautiful car, one that's way to expensive for you? You take a second look, a third look. Your eyes travel all across its body. You imagine yourself sitting in the car, changing gears, zooming down the highway, turning corners, Miles Davis playing some lazy jazz on the exquisite stereo. You can almost imagine yourself in your pajamas (you're that comfortable) as the steering wheel glides through your fingers. Your breath catches. And then, as you begin to take a fourth look, a telephone pole smacks you in the face and you're shocked back into reality. That kind of expensive.

But it sure is beautiful. But so is money!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-30-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Advert
Old 07-31-2021, 04:01 PM   #66
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My boss loaned me his very posh car once to pickup someone from the airport. My boss in the sense of Company Boss.
I lost all ambition to have a posh car after that. More than a decade later in the late 1990s another boss was berated by his wife. A posh car that looked like it had rubber bands instead of tyres.
"I'm not driving that! You'd feel every pebble and what about the pot holes?"

I'll stick with utility. My E460 Lenovo now five years old. I looked at a new laptop and one "good enough screen" was €1500+ and no HDD option. SSD only.
I added a 24" 2560x1440 screen and a nice S/H unused Logitech keyboard. Saved €1300.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:39 AM   #67
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

The Freewrite (an 'electronic typewriter'; it has an eink screen) has recently been updated to a 3rd gen. It has a bigger battery, an updated file structure, cursor-styled keys (through a key combination), and a newer eink screen. They've also raised the price to $599.00.

A black attache case is now available for the Freewrite, priced $150.00.

Or, one can buy the 'Hemingwrite' (available again), for a mere $900.00 ! - but, joy of joys, it actually INCLUDES an attache case - all for a mere $900.00 !

Oh, did I mention that it's only $900.00 ?

Okay, if I failed to mention the price, its a mere $900.00. (I'm so absent-minded this morning, I forgot to put an exclamation point at the end of the price!)

Full transparency: I own a Freewrite 2nd Gen. I'm experimenting with it by writing a novella (or novel) to see if it drastically changes the way I write. The slight lag in typing (eink screen) is no problem for me. The keyboard, by the way, is exquisite. And it's built like a brick outhouse!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-13-2021 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #68
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Oh, did I mention that it's only $900.00 ?
OK, call me cheap... I decided to go real old school and bought an Open Box Royal Epoch manual typewriter for US$87, and also splurged on a blue/black ribbon ($10) to spice up my writings. It's coming on Wednesday, an early Xmas present to myself. If my memory serves, there is no lag between pressing the keys and seeing the typed letters on the page.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 01:23 PM   #69
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
OK, call me cheap... I decided to go real old school and bought an Open Box Royal Epoch manual typewriter for US$87, and also splurged on a blue/black ribbon ($10) to spice up my writings. It's coming on Wednesday, an early Xmas present to myself. If my memory serves, there is no lag between pressing the keys and seeing the typed letters on the page.

...the lag:

I've heard about these typewriter things. I saw one recently at an antique mall. When I stuck my face down there to see how it worked, I ended up having the entire alphabet imprinted upon my face.
Old 12-13-2021, 06:28 PM   #70
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'm experimenting with it by writing a novella (or novel) to see if it drastically changes the way I write.
I'm guessing you will decide if it's a Novel or Novella at the stopping point? I don't know about you, but I hate these sort of decisions.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:43 PM   #71
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I'm guessing you will decide if it's a Novel or Novella at the stopping point? I don't know about you, but I hate these sort of decisions.

Actually, for me, it depends upon how I end up telling the story - whether I feel I'm successful or not - and if what I wish to say has been communicated effectively in a shorter form or in the longer form.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-13-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:21 AM   #72
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrant View Post
…If my memory serves, there is no lag between pressing the keys and seeing the typed letters on the page.
There is lag, depending how hard you hit the keys. With mechanical machines you have to hit hardest with M and W and similar and lighter with o i and lightest with , . '

I had to use one for reports in 1970s. I got a couple a few years ago locally for a few euro each as decorations and fixed them up. I still hate them.

I'll stick to my 1920 x 1080 laptop, which has 2560 x 1440 23" external screen and K120 logitech keyboard most of the time.

Using desktop computers since 1981 and laptops since 1998. The current one (nov 2016) is only my 4th laptop and the two previous ones (2000 with NT4.0, later Win2K with boot also to Linux, WFW3.11 and Win98, maybe 1400 x 1050. Also 2002 model with XP, 1600 x 1200) still work and are in the attic.

I do have a 7.8" Boyue Likebook Mars eInk with decent BT keyboard and Jota to text edit, but a quick note is more likely on Jota on phone if out or on 10" Yoga Android via "My Notes" in Viber as that syncs to desktop Viber on Linux and Viber on phone (eventually).

Last edited by Quoth; 12-14-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-01-2022, 03:07 PM   #73
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post

I've now mapped it out to be a short novel. I've already completed 1/4 of it - about 52 pages.

I really do like the way I'm teaching myself not to have a perfect ['true'] sentence, before moving forward. Freewrite is only for first draft writing.

It's actually fun using this crazy, but flawed, writing tool.

--------------------------

I would definitely buy the portable unit, called the Freewrite Traveler, if it had a front light. Until they get a front light on it, they will not have my support for this unit.

--------------------------

Sometime this month, the company is advertising the release of the Freewrite 3rd Generation unit. It's supposed to have a different keyboard, a different eInk screen, and a different set of keys, along with a longer-lasting battery. The newer firmware for the 3rd Generation Freewrite has additional features NOT available on my 2nd Generation.

I've not had a problem whatsoever with the battery in my 2nd Generation unit. Also, I would like to add that the screen lag is not that bad for me. It's definitely there, but it doesn't bother me. I'm about 85% OK with the lag, which is an operational percentage that is fine - for me.

I put it on my lap and it's perfect. I also take it outside to the front terrace in the morning where I do some writing.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:45 AM   #74
Pierre Lawrence
Connoisseur
Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Lawrence ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, nook
There's an interesting article on the Freewrite and similar devices in a recent issue of The New Yorker. Not sure if it's available on line, but the print version, by Julian Lucas, is in the December 20, 2021 issue on page 18.
Pierre Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:17 AM   #75
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Lawrence View Post
There's an interesting article on the Freewrite and similar devices in a recent issue of The New Yorker. Not sure if it's available on line, but the print version, by Julian Lucas, is in the December 20, 2021 issue on page 18.
I read, and was unimpressed by, the piece. It smacked of an utter lack of discipline by the writer. It also just smelled much like cult of the new or trendy.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote