Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
pavlos555
pavlos555 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Import pdf files

Hi all i just installed calibre in my ubuntu laptop where i have a folder with about 200 ebooks in pdf format.I want to ask if it is possible to import them to calibre without having to copy them in its folder.Thank you for your answers.
pavlos555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, pavlos555

Someone should step in shortly with answers.

Enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlos555 View Post
I want to ask if it is possible to import them to calibre without having to copy them in its folder.Thank you for your answers.
If you import a 'format' (a PDF in your case), calibre will copy it.

For lots of reasons, calibre will not use copies of formats outside its own folder structure. There is some discussion about why that is in the FAQ. And no, this won't change any time soon.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlos555 View Post
Hi all i just installed calibre in my ubuntu laptop where i have a folder with about 200 ebooks in pdf format.I want to ask if it is possible to import them to calibre without having to copy them in its folder.Thank you for your answers.
Use the big button for adding books on the main toolbar, or just drag&drop into the Calibre library view (if I'm not mistaken, that should work now...). In fact, don't go copying anything into Calibre's library folder- it won't know it's there, and it just makes it harder to discern what in the folder belongs to Calibre and what doesn't. Just ignore the folder, use Calibre's GUI or CLI tools to interact with the library. Calibre, by the way, will make it's own copies in the library folder automatically.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, ebooks, pdf