Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Book Designer Link problem

Hello, I'm trying to create a Book with TOC Links.

When I am in Book Designer creating the links and looking at it in Book Designer, everything appears to link from the chapter link to the page it is supposed to go to.

When I make the book and open it on Sony Software and my sony Reader, those chapter links take it to completely unrelated pages instead of where it is supposed to link to. Can someone help me out with that? Thanks in advance.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Are the pages completely unrelated?
BD links tend to take you to the beginning of the relevant paragraph. This means that jumping back to a note in the middle of a long paragraph means that one can be a couple of pages out. As far as I know, there is nothing that can be done about this.

If you are getting totally unrelated pages then something is very wrong.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I cheat in BookDesigner by using the "Insert|Insert TOC (all)" which collects all of the paragraphs that are tagged as "Title" and inserts them just after the Book Author and Book Title lines. These can then be moved to where you want them. This creates a forward and backward set of links.

Some of the books I have formatted included linked footnotes. While the forward link worked fine, the backward link always went to the start of the paragraph that included the original link. Depending upon how long your paragraphs are this may be a page or two earlier than the original link. As Patricia noted, there is nothing in BookDesigner that can be done to change this.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:53 AM   #4
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Basically an example is listed like this....

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Step One
Step Two
Chapter 4
Chapter 5

So Chapter 1 goes to chapter 1, Chapter 2 goes to chapter 2 chapter 3 goes to chapter 3 step one and anything after it goes to chapter 3 no matter what chapter I go to, and Chapter 3 from there on on the bottom of the page shows as chapter 3. Am I doing something wrong here?
Old 12-17-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
So your problems start with Chapter 3.
If you are working in Book Designer, note that it hates short Chapters. So if 'Step 1' is at the beginning of Chapter 3, you will need to add a lot of line breaks and a manual page break, so that the titles are far enough apart.

So,
1. Delete the current ToC. Go to Notes and links and delete all the notes and links.
2. Set all the headings that you want in the ToC as titles. Then use the format/more tranformations/insert all page breaks option to make page breaks immediately above titles.. Then check to see that all the page breaks have actually been inserted. Add any which are missing. If titles are close together then add some line breaks beneath the shortest ones.
3. Then remake the ToC.
4. To make an automatic ToC, set the cursor beneath the book title and select 'insert ToC' in the 'Insert' menu. If it's not correct then use the same menu to delete the ToC and add more spaces and/or line breaks.
5. For a hand-made Toc, follow the instructions in HarryT's BD tutorial.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Also, in the Sony Reader options dialog, set the TOC option to "Full".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you have short pages, the auto-ToC generation can skip ToC entries. What I do is make sure the short page has 12-14 lines. So I pad the short page with blank lines and then the ToC generation works.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you have short pages, the auto-ToC generation can skip ToC entries. What I do is make sure the short page has 12-14 lines. So I pad the short page with blank lines and then the ToC generation works.
Putting in page breaks achieves the same, and is necessary for Mobi books, which don't get an auto page-break at a title.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:13 AM   #9
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

Got it to work, I did the Insert TOC like Patricia suggested and it worked. Makes my life so much easier, thank you so much for your help.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:41 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
Got it to work, I did the Insert TOC like Patricia suggested and it worked. Makes my life so much easier, thank you so much for your help.
Yes, for a single book, that's by far the easiest way to do it. You need to do it manually with links when you have a more complex arrangement such as a collection of books within a single file, where you want a top level book index TOC, and then a separate TOC within each individual book.