Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-09-2017, 01:12 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Amazon lowers free shipping minimum back to $25

Amazon Reduces Free Shipping Minimum To $25

Quote:
In February, we reported that Amazon reduced their minimum order size required to qualify for free shipping for non-Prime members from $49 to $35. Now, less than three months later, Amazon is at it again. All orders of $25 or more featuring eligible items will qualify for free shipping, according to Amazon’s official shipping page . Please see the screenshot below of Amazon’s shipping page as of 5/8/2017.
Quote:
While Amazon has not yet publically announced the change, they have traditionally stayed under the radar when adjusting their free shipping minimums. Here is a brief history of Amazon’s free shipping minimum order size adjustments.

October 2013 — Minimum Order Size Increases from $25 to $35

May 2016 — Minimum Order Sizes Increases from $35 to $49

February 2017 — Minimum Order Size Decreases from $49 to $35
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I may start buying from them again.

I don't know, though; I got out of the habit after I let Prime lapse and shipping was $49.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #3
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Used to be if you did get free shipping, you got it well within the time frame specified.
Now it seems like Amazon waits until the last possible minute with all carriers to ship.
The method of shipping to a PO for delivery by a mail carrier is the pits.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Fighting back against Walmart ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I wish they Drop the Add On Items! They Never want to Add them to my order, always an excuse!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
Used to be if you did get free shipping, you got it well within the time frame specified.
Now it seems like Amazon waits until the last possible minute with all carriers to ship.
I've noticed this as well. For me, non-Prime free shipping used to ship two to three days after order. Now the norm is 8 days after order. It still saves around $15-$20, so I'll continue to use free shipping.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:24 PM   #7
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
And after they ship it at the last moment it doesn't arrive when they say it's expected to, so you get the late notice with an apology stating to come back in 5 more days if it hasn't arrived. At least that is what happened to me on my last order.

Still it's a lot easier to add another item or two to reach $25 than $49 or even the $35. So I'll keep using free shipping as well.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:08 AM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Although I'm a Prime member, I've placed several recent orders that were non-Prime free shipping, and they all shipped within a day or two and arrived quickly. Just yesterday morning (Tuesday) I received an item I ordered Friday evening with non-Prime free shipping.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #9
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Fighting back against Walmart ....
Well, Walmart was fighting back against Amazon, no doubt, when they changed their minimum for free shipping from $50 to $35.

Too, they introduced "2-day shipping" for that $35. Only problem is, if my experience is any indication--and I order from them about once every two weeks--the orders never arrive in 2 days. Maybe one or two items out of ten, that's it. Sometimes it takes nearly a week to get the last of the items. Talk is cheap.

When I had Amazon Prime, their "two-day shipping" was two days or less. I ordered from them quite a bit during the time that I had Prime, and it never took over 2 days to have a package delivered. Never. Often I received it in one day.

Walmart seems to be devoid of innovation and fresh ideas. All that they seem to know to do in the last few years is to mimic Amazon.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:59 AM   #10
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
My experience with this is lackluster. Whenever I order free shipping the order sits around. I ordered a couple of minor things, then threw in a cd to get it over the 25 buck mark. All these items are in stock. I ordered on Sunday and the order status shows to ship 5/29, 5 days from now!! Ridiculous.

That's always been my experience. If you order free shipping expect long delays before it ships out, while they send you emails trying to get you to sign up from Prime. If you pay the few bucks for standard shipping it will go out that day.

Of late, if I can order the same thing from someone else, I will
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:17 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What about Amazon UK? Did they lower the amount before free shipping?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #12
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
Long ago, I switched to Chewy for pet care items. Yes, the minimum is $49 for free delivery but with two cats, there are purchases I need to make every couple of months. Food and litter each order and it's easy to get to and well over $49. Every single order is delivered within 24-48 hours. The most impressive was when I placed an order in the early evening and it was delivered before noon the next day. If I'm low on litter, I know within a day or two, I'll have a bag to use. Also great for travel too--if I'm preparing for a long trip and need to top off food/litter for the cats, I can place order within 3-4 days of my departure and be confident everything will arrive before I fly off. Can't do that with Amazon free shipping. With Amazon I have to plan at least two weeks in advance to be safe or if I leave it too late, go to Petsmart. I'm not shilling for Chewy, their prices aren't any better than Amazon's, but their free delivery is ace.

Right now I'm sitting on an Amazon order placed 10 days ago. The status is still showing "preparing for shipment." The last delivery day promised is this Saturday. None of the items are needed urgently but it is frustrating that online delivery in this day and age can take close to two weeks to be delivered.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

From the comments above, it does seem that Amazon treats Prime members and non-Prime people differently when it comes to free shipping. I've had Prime for several years now, and I get orders on time in most cases. I routinely get my 2-day orders on time, and I get most of 1-day and same day orders on time. I guess being a Prime member must help, and quite frankly, it should. Hardly worth being a Prime member at $99/year plus tax if non-Prime people get the same privileges and treatment you get. Just saying. If a shipment is late, I can call and complain and I usually get a $10 or more credit, and they make sure the item arrives soon thereafter.

As far as late shipments go, there are several reasons for delays. Here are a few:
  • Items are shipping from different warehouses. Even though you add on another item to hit the minimum amount necessary for free shipping doesn't mean that item is already in the same warehouse as the other item(s) you ordered. If not, some items may arrive on time and others might need more time.
  • Item states it is Prime but won't ship for a number of days. I've gotten burned by this a few time due to not paying close enough attention to the item page. Technically, the item when it ships will ship Prime 2-day delivery, or whatever it was stated to do, but due to other circumstances it won't ship immediately. They do have that CYA statement, but it is easy to overlook and rather deceptive IMO with that big Prime label. So be careful with these.
  • Your location matters. If you live near Amazon warehouse hubs, which usually means within a large metropolitan area, you can expect more timely deliveries. If you live in a rural area or have a PO Box address, you might have a lot of delays in deliveries.
  • Weather related. We have to understand this happens sometimes.
  • Amazon or carrier screw ups. This happens too. I had a recent order delayed one day. I called to ask why, and Amazon admitted they had screwed up and delivered the package to UPS rather than USPS. UPS was confused because Amazon had already put a USPS shipping label on it. First and only time this has happened to any of my shipments. But I got it the following day after it was supposed to arrive, so UPS stepped up to the plate and got it delivered even with the Amazon screw up.
  • Deceptive 3rd Party sales. Not all 3rd party sales companies play nice on Amazon. They can be really deceptive. I've ordered at least one item that was supposed to be a 2-day delivery, but it actually shipped from China. No way that would have arrived in 2 days! There was no indication of the company shipping from China. I complained, Amazon pounced on the company, and bottom line was I got the item a few weeks later but it was free. Amazon cancelled the order mid-shipment, refunded my money, found another company shipping from USA with true 2-day delivery, and substituted that for the original order. And I got $10 credit. So I wound up with two of the items. One was normal cost, the other was free, and I got a $10 credit. Inconvenient as heck, but Amazon made it right and in a timely fashion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fanboy of Amazon. I think there devices like Kindles, Fires, Alexa devices, etc. are rather lackluster and not the best deals out there. I get frustrated with their streaming video and music. Again, it is lackluster. But the one thing they seem to do well, at least in my experience, is shipping. And if nothing else, they shook up the retail industry and caused the competion to rethink business and shipping fees. So I look at Amazon as good in retail and shipping, and lackluster, perhaps even a suckfest, in electronics.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-25-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
From the comments above, it does seem that Amazon treats Prime members and non-Prime people differently when it comes to free shipping. I've had Prime for several years now, and I get orders on time in most cases. I routinely get my 2-day orders on time, and I get most of 1-day and same day orders on time. I guess being a Prime member must help, and quite frankly, it should. Hardly worth being a Prime member at $99/year plus tax if non-Prime people get the same privileges and treatment you get. Just saying. If a shipment is late, I can call and complain and I usually get a $10 or more credit, and they make sure the item arrives soon thereafter.

As far as late shipments go, there are several reasons for delays. Here are a few:
  • Items are shipping from different warehouses. Even though you add on another item to hit the minimum amount necessary for free shipping doesn't mean that item is already in the same warehouse as the other item(s) you ordered. If not, some items may arrive on time and others might need more time.
  • Item states it is Prime but won't ship for a number of days. I've gotten burned by this a few time due to not paying close enough attention to the item page. Technically, the item when it ships will ship Prime 2-day delivery, or whatever it was stated to do, but due to other circumstances it won't ship immediately. They do have that CYA statement, but it is easy to overlook and rather deceptive IMO with that big Prime label. So be careful with these.
  • Your location matters. If you live near Amazon warehouse hubs, which usually means within a large metropolitan area, you can expect more timely deliveries. If you live in a rural area or have a PO Box address, you might have a lot of delays in deliveries.
  • Weather related. We have to understand this happens sometimes.
  • Amazon or carrier screw ups. This happens too. I had a recent order delayed one day. I called to ask why, and Amazon admitted they had screwed up and delivered the package to UPS rather than USPS. UPS was confused because Amazon had already put a USPS shipping label on it. First and only time this has happened to any of my shipments. But I got it the following day after it was supposed to arrive, so UPS stepped up to the plate and got it delivered even with the Amazon screw up.
  • Deceptive 3rd Party sales. Not all 3rd party sales companies play nice on Amazon. They can be really deceptive. I've ordered at least one item that was supposed to be a 2-day delivery, but it actually shipped from China. No way that would have arrived in 2 days! There was no indication of the company shipping from China. I complained, Amazon pounced on the company, and bottom line was I got the item a few weeks later but it was free. Amazon cancelled the order mid-shipment, refunded my money, found another company shipping from USA with true 2-day delivery, and substituted that for the original order. And I got $10 credit. So I wound up with two of the items. One was normal cost, the other was free, and I got a $10 credit. Inconvenient as heck, but Amazon made it right and in a timely fashion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fanboy of Amazon. I think there devices like Kindles, Fires, Alexa devices, etc. are rather lackluster and not the best deals out there. I get frustrated with their streaming video and music. Again, it is lackluster. But the one thing they seem to do well, at least in my experience, is shipping. And if nothing else, they shook up the retail industry and caused the competion to rethink business and shipping fees. So I look at Amazon as good in retail and shipping, and lackluster, perhaps even a suckfest, in electronics.
Oh yes, the third party sellers. Look very closely at the arrive date on the free shipping.
I have had to get a couple of refunds myself because of 3rd party sellers.

Now there is one other reason an Amazon or any other order is late. The delivery vessel might have been in an accident. Be it the UPS truck or UPS trailers on a train. (Google it. That actually happened. )(That one could also have fallen under weather related. )
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #15
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Amazon wants everyone to join Prime. They've said so and Bezos at one point said it's such a good value you are irresponsible not to join. So they purposefully don't ship the items until the last day or so of the timeframe window if you are using the $x for free shipping option.

It's not an issue with the carrier because they don't charge you until the order is shipped and so you can see the items haven't been shipped (in addition to the fact the order status shows "preparing for shipment").

My last two orders they shipped the last day and then they arrived late as well. That could have been a carrier issue, but if you're not in Prime it's not really a guaranteed delivery so they don't give you credit. At least they never have for me. It's more a "if your package still hasn't arrived in the next 5 days come back and tell us."

It didn't used to be like this. They used to ship the packages within a couple of days and every once in a while the same day. But it has been for the past several years.

I agree that Prime members should get priority since they are paying for the service.

I don't mind waiting on my orders usually, so I just know before I order there will be a delay. Otherwise I buy what I need at Target or something.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote