Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-20-2016, 03:24 PM   #31
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I am hesitant about Cloudbooks, especially after reading reviews like this one.

I have a chromebook with a broken screen, going to see if a friend can install a new screen. My hubby tried and failed. (I didn't try....he thinks he knows how to do stuff, so whatever. Sent screen back, had to pay return shipping...sigh). I had to leave it sitting there unused. My daughter needs a chromebook. My boys use theirs all the time.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #32
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Our first Chromebook had the 320GB HDD, so no space problem there. That's the one that I eventually reflashed.

The SSD one that has Crouton was only used to access some network resources, stream video and play the occasional game of Minecraft, so space wasn't an issue.

Now that SSDs are so cheap, could yours be upgraded?
So you also had the Acer C710 My wife is using that one right now. I'll eventually get her a new one and make use of that nice hard drive.
They are making newer Chromebooks harder to upgrade, not sure if I can upgrade my Toshiba. Don't really need to right now, but down the road when Google drops support there will be many of us trying to find new ways to use these capable devices. I still have a netbook from 2009 that I'm using as a server. Also have a Toshiba laptop that is a decade old that I only use for my ebooks and running Calibre on. Linux has helped me keep several old machines alive and useful.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #33
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I am hesitant about Cloudbooks, especially after reading reviews like this one.

I have a chromebook with a broken screen, going to see if a friend can install a new screen. My hubby tried and failed. (I didn't try....he thinks he knows how to do stuff, so whatever. Sent screen back, had to pay return shipping...sigh). I had to leave it sitting there unused. My daughter needs a chromebook. My boys use theirs all the time.
I kind of figured those were slow. With the Haswell CPU in my Chromebook I frequently have ten or so windows open and it never gets sluggish. I can also tab cast with no video problems to my Chromecast.
Sorry to hear that about your Chromebook screen. Maybe if all else fails you could hook it up to an external monitor or TV and with a wireless keyboard get some use of it that way.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:48 PM   #34
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
I kind of figured those were slow. With the Haswell CPU in my Chromebook I frequently have ten or so windows open and it never gets sluggish. I can also tab cast with no video problems to my Chromecast.
Sorry to hear that about your Chromebook screen. Maybe if all else fails you could hook it up to an external monitor or TV and with a wireless keyboard get some use of it that way.
True.....one of my sons does that with his Chromebook....heck he's the one that broke the screen on the other one. Maybe I'll hook it up in his room and snatch the replacement back
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #35
Conan46
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
True.....one of my sons does that with his Chromebook....heck he's the one that broke the screen on the other one. Maybe I'll hook it up in his room and snatch the replacement back
Switch them out and maybe he won't notice?
Advert
Old 05-20-2016, 04:12 PM   #36
Conan46
Fanatic

While right now Google hasn't open sourced this, I would bet 6mos to a year someone is going to have this available on Linux. I'm sort of surprised Google didn't set this up to run in Chrome browser. Easy access to Android Apps/Google Play from Chrome would be amazing.
ChromeOS is essentially Gentoo Linux, so I can't imagine it will not be widely available before too long.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #37
bullet
Rookie Mucker
bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 7. Moto G, Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Linux PCs
Quote:
Kind of frustrated that my first gen Toshiba Chromebook is not on there either, even though I have had the machine less than a year.
Have you tried Crouton on your Chromebook? It gives you more options via Linux.
My wife has 2 HP Chromebooks 14 32GB from Costco (one is a backup-they do break) that she likes to run Kbuntu Trusty via Crouton. Conceivably she could run Calibre there putting the library on the 64GB SDC. Instead we keep our Calibre Library on a Linux Mint 17.3 KDE laptop and desktop and backed up to 2 external hard drives. Linux just works

Don't think our Chromebooks made the list either.

Calibre Companion gets our books in Calibre down to android devices wirelessly. Kindle Paperwhite wants a usb cable or a kindle.com email address.

Last edited by bullet; 05-20-2016 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo
bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #38
bullet
Rookie Mucker
bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bullet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 7. Moto G, Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Linux PCs
Quote:
That's how we ended up with 2 Chromebooks. LCD screen went out and we had to send it to HP for free repair on warranty. We liked the Chromebook so much and the price we bought a 2nd to use while waiting for repair.

Now I am told when you go to sea take 1 sextant or 3. If you take 2 they will never agree.
bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #39
Conan46
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet View Post
That's how we ended up with 2 Chromebooks. LCD screen went out and we had to send it to HP for free repair on warranty. We liked the Chromebook so much and the price we bought a 2nd to use while waiting for repair.

Now I am told when you go to sea take 1 sextant or 3. If you take 2 they will never agree.
I figure it won't be long before I talk myself into another Chromebook, especially now that Android will work on the newest models. I'm not sure how much I would use Android apps, but would be nice to find out
Old 05-21-2016, 03:18 AM   #40
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
I got it wrong earlier (unless Google updated the compatibility list). My current Chromebook is on there (the CB3-111), so I'll be able to report back later in the year.

Our old silver Samsungs are a bit slow, but still being used every day around the house, as is my Samsung Chromebox (I work from home and it's my daily desktop machine), but it looks like they'll not get Android.

If this is a plan to get us to upgrade older devices, it will probably work with me, as it would be good to get Skype working more or less natively on the desktop. The packaged version always crashed for me.

Handling Words With Friends turns on my Chrome devices would also be good.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #41
Conan46
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
I got it wrong earlier (unless Google updated the compatibility list). My current Chromebook is on there (the CB3-111), so I'll be able to report back later in the year.

Our old silver Samsungs are a bit slow, but still being used every day around the house, as is my Samsung Chromebox (I work from home and it's my daily desktop machine), but it looks like they'll not get Android.

If this is a plan to get us to upgrade older devices, it will probably work with me, as it would be good to get Skype working more or less natively on the desktop. The packaged version always crashed for me.

Handling Words With Friends turns on my Chrome devices would also be good.

Graham
Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me they have definitely increased that list. I haven't even heard of some of those companies. I hope they will further increase the list for older Chromebooks that are more than capable of running Android apps.
https://support.google.com/chromeboo...rce=genius-rts
Old 05-21-2016, 03:03 PM   #42
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Chromebook Flip C100PA is on the list of supported devices. Mine is listed as being a 100P.

Anyone know the difference? I couldn't find anything online.

Last edited by FacebookVirus; 05-21-2016 at 03:10 PM.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #43
Conan46
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
Chromebook Flip C100PA is on the list of supported devices. Mine is listed as being a 100P.

Anyone know the difference? I couldn't find anything online.
Just a wild guess, but may the "p&a" sets apart the different ram models?
Quote:
Configurations
Asus has two configurations of the Chromebook Flip: one with 2GB of RAM for $249, and one with 4GB for $299. Remember that both models come with an SD card reader, which means you can expand your storage to up to 64GB if you so desire. Also, unlike the Toshiba Chromebook 2, each model comes with the IPS display, which means you don't have to sacrifice display quality or viewing angles to save some money.

- See more at: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/lap....oZFPNmfP.dpuf
I can't imagine your model would not be included.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:31 AM   #44
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
They are not open sourcing the Android part of chromebooks yet. Once they do all Android apps will run on all computers that can run chrome.
I think most of the limitations they have put in like not supporting older models etc is to slow down adoption next year at the IO they will probably open it.

Sent from my SM-G925I
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:24 AM   #45
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Just a wild guess, but may the "p&a" sets apart the different ram models?

I can't imagine your model would not be included.
You're probably right. It's what I want to believe, of course, but since mine is the higher 4GB model it will certainly be included.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote