Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
Pixel Qi

*** maybe not the place to post, but wanted my fellow Kindlers to see this is they haven't already... I did a search for this, and so far as I can tell, noone else has mentioned them on here yet... apologies if you have ***

PIXEL QI

- a new LCD screen (currently available in only a 10.1" for netbooks), that can become a non-reflective, non-backlit eInk screen that can still show video (well, not eInk, but the closet that an LCD can)... only $250 apparently.

Interesting stuff... I foresee an iPad competitor coming in the near future with the new displays (if Apple doesn't do the smart thing and jump onboard before someone else does).

Anyway, here's a few screenshots and links for those interested in seeing what its all about :-)

http://www.pixelqi.com/ - lots of shots of what the screen can do

http://www.makershed.com/ProductDeta...01&Click=37845 - the shop where you can buy the current version
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pixel qi.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	56655  

Last edited by Balerion; 08-14-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Balerion
Connoisseur

As quoted on the makershed link above:

"MAKE and Pixel Qi announce the availability of a revolutionary LCD display technology from Pixel Qi--the 3Qi display. This one-of-a-kind, plug-and-play 10.1-inch display offers two modes--an easy-to-read, real color, multi-media mode or a crisp, low power e-reader mode. The sunlight-ready, e-reader mode makes it easy to use outdoors.

These screens rival the best e-paper displays on the market today but in addition have video refresh and fully saturated color. The e-paper mode has 3 times the resolution of the fully saturated color mode allowing for a high resolution reading experience without sacrifice to super color fidelity for graphics. In addition these screens can be used in sunlight.

Please note: These screens replace those found in the Samsung N130 & Lenovo S10-2. Although they do work in other models, we can only guarantee compatibility on those 2 specific netbooks. We are testing other models, and will update the list as needed."
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Balerion
Connoisseur

Makes you wonder if the Amazonians are scratching their chins and going "hmmmm... interesting....".

I can't wait to see where Amazon takes the Kindle in the next few years given that this new technology of displays is just the start of what they're coming up with even as I write this.

Also... we're about to run out of Indium on this wee little planet we call home... as well as other precious metals we've sucked the planet dry of just to make our LCDs... big changes ahead !!!
Old 08-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Pixel Qi has been all over the general forums. Not so much here because this forum is specifically dedicated to the Kindle. The only announced product on the horizon is the Notion Ink. You'll see news about its delays in the general news forum. It's an Android device so it will also be able to read Kindle books. I doubt Amazon wants to get involved in making consumer tablets when there is so much established competition. Their approach so far has been to make software clients for these multifunction devices.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
mattbiernat
Enthusiast
mattbiernat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
interesting, should put more pressure on Amazon to be more competitive with their devices.
mattbiernat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

The Aluratek Libre uses a similar type of screen but it is grayscale only and without any backlighting. The screen is pretty good, though it looks metallic in lower light. It almost looks like black text on a dull brass plate.

However, LCD is still LCD, an Qi is an LCD. The LCD screens will eat up energy and the pixelation will make it more difficult to read than e-Ink. By pixelation I mean the space between the square pixels which causes our eyes to view a series of horizontal and vertical lines which our brains have to gloss over. It causes eyestrain for prolonged reading.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The Aluratek Libre uses a similar type of screen but it is grayscale only and without any backlighting. The screen is pretty good, though it looks metallic in lower light. It almost looks like black text on a dull brass plate.

However, LCD is still LCD, an Qi is an LCD. The LCD screens will eat up energy and the pixelation will make it more difficult to read than e-Ink. By pixelation I mean the space between the square pixels which causes our eyes to view a series of horizontal and vertical lines which our brains have to gloss over. It causes eyestrain for prolonged reading.
Pixel Qi should be considered an improved LCD rather than an eInk replacement. Its reflective mode means you can use it in bright light while realizing 80% better energy efficiency, and also some energy savings in its 'transflective' mode. It will improve laptop/netbook/tablet versatility and performance modestly.

But I don't think it makes much sense to have this on a dedicated ereader device. If you've got that screen, and the hardware to drive it, it would be perverse to artificially restrict device functionality to the single purpose of reading ebooks. Besides, Amazon would want to sell you MP3s and videos to go along with ebooks, and that argues for a general purpose device - and I don't think Amazon has the credibility to put their brand on one.

I don't understand your point about pixelation. Are you saying the screen has insufficient PPI as compared with e-ink? Based on what? Current eInk is between 150ppi (9" screen) and 200ppi (5" screen). Meanwhile LCD PPI in ranges from 133ppi to over 200ppi over similar sized screens, even higher on smaller screens. So I don't see there's much of a generalization to be made.

List of displays by pixel density

Last edited by tomsem; 08-14-2010 at 03:20 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
*** maybe not the place to post, but wanted my fellow Kindlers to see this is they haven't already... I did a search for this, and so far as I can tell, noone else has mentioned them on here yet... apologies if you have ***
It's been talked about hundreds of times.

Go to Google and enter the search string:

"pixel qi" site:www.mobileread.com

and see how many hits you get.

As you say yourself, this really is not the appropriate place to discuss it, given that it has absolutely nothing to do with the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balerion View Post

PIXEL QI

- a new LCD screen (currently available in only a 10.1" for netbooks), that can become a non-reflective, non-backlit eInk screen that can still show video (well, not eInk, but the closet that an LCD can)... only $250 apparently.

Interesting stuff... I foresee an iPad competitor coming in the near future with the new displays (if Apple doesn't do the smart thing and jump onboard before someone else does).

Anyway, here's a few screenshots and links for those interested in seeing what its all about :-)

http://www.pixelqi.com/ - lots of shots of what the screen can do

http://www.makershed.com/ProductDeta...01&Click=37845 - the shop where you can buy the current version
So *IF* you have a Samsung N130 or Lenovo S10 *AND* you're rich enough to buy a spare screen *AND* you're skilled enough to replace your current display with the PixilQI screen, you can get this 'wonderful' technology.

Yeah. Right. Too much effort for too little payoff. I'll keep my K2 thank you very much.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote