Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
col
col began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Problems with pdfs

I understand that pdfs do not display well on the sony reader (just too small to view) but in the "bloggers day" review of the reader at mobileread it mentions that pdfs resized to 3.54" x 4.85 looked "beautiful". I have acrobat 7 profess but so far have been unable to make anything readable.

Anyone know how to make it happen (I do not have much experiance with acrobat 7)

Thanks

Colin
col is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:56 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi Colin,

If you set a page size of 90x120mm, with 2mm margins all around, and "print" to a PDF from, say, Word, using these page settings, it should work well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
col

Sorry, what do you mean by print to a pdf from word?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe that Acrobat provides a "pretend" printer driver, to which you can "print" from any application, and it generates a PDF file. That's the way that most PDF generators work, anyway.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #5
col

Yes I can generate a pdf file from a file such as word and can resize it to 90x120mm (using the properties box in the print menu) but it always looks the same ( small & unreadable) on the e reader no matter what I do.
It may be that I am doing it wrong as I have no experiance with acrobat 7 pro.
Advert
Old 01-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hi Colin,

You need to set the page size in Word to 90x120mm, and the margins to 2mm, with Word's "File/Page Setup" menu item. I suspect that what you're doing at the moment is simply "scaling down" a standard A4 page.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
col

Ok thanks, Is there anyway of adjusting a pdf file from within acrobat 7 pro so that it can be transfered straight to the reader and be ledgible?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Not one that's already been created. PDF is a page-based format, and the problem is that an A4 page just contains too much information to comfortably display on the size screen that the Reader has. You have to create the PDF file specifically for the page size that the Reader has, so there's not as much text on each page, and it can comfortably be read.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
SoCal Bob
Connoisseur
SoCal Bob began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader, iLiad, Palm Tungsten T3
BOTH the Word file and the Printed PDF must have the same page size to come out well. Attached is an article that was pasted up in Word from an online HTML file in my "Sony Reader" page size and then "printed" to PDF using "Sony Reader" page size (as opposed to A4 or Letter, etc).

What do you think?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SURVEY- THE BRAIN - The Economist 12-19-06.pdf (563.4 KB, 510 views)
SoCal Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #10
col

Yes works very well although text is more grey than black.
I have some pdf manuals that just don't work so looks like I have to tinker with them first,even the pdf manual that came with the reader is not easy to read.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
ncinpa
ncinpa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/PRC-500
I'm confused. If you already have the file in Word, why would you save it as a PDF file to read on the Reader? Why not just move the Word document directly over to the Reader? When I have transferred public domain materials to the Reader, such as from Gutenburg.com, I open the TXT file with Word, run the Macro that was posted elsewhere on this site that strips out the line breaks and adjusts the font size, and save the document as a DOC file. This modified file looks great, scales great, and loads quickly when transferred to the Reader. Why would I then want to go the next step and use Word to create it as a PDF file?
ncinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:08 AM   #12
col

The problem is that I have pdf files that are too small to read on the reader,I was hoping that there was a way to make them more readable using acrobat 7 pro
Old 01-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinpa
I'm confused. If you already have the file in Word, why would you save it as a PDF file to read on the Reader? Why not just move the Word document directly over to the Reader? When I have transferred public domain materials to the Reader, such as from Gutenburg.com, I open the TXT file with Word, run the Macro that was posted elsewhere on this site that strips out the line breaks and adjusts the font size, and save the document as a DOC file. This modified file looks great, scales great, and loads quickly when transferred to the Reader. Why would I then want to go the next step and use Word to create it as a PDF file?
The only real reason would be if the Word file has pictures in it; the Reader doesn't display pictures in RTF files, but does in PDFs.

You're right, though - straight text files there's no reason to bother with PDFs; RTF works great.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:01 PM   #14
hn_88
Connoisseur
hn_88 doesn't litterhn_88 doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Just a small caveat - for transferring RTF and Word .doc files to the Reader, you need to have MS Word installed. Or else the Connect SW crashes.
hn_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:25 AM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
MS Word is only required for .DOC files, hn_88, .RTFs xfer fine without it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote