Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
Thor
Thor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
howto: Get root back after firmware update 1.0.04.12210

I updated my rooted Sony PRS T1 from firmware 1.0.03.11140 to 1.0.04.12210 and run into the problem that I do not have a rooted device afterwards. I tried to flash root again with minimal-root.zip but it does not work.
I looked around and see the reason: After flashing to 1.0.04.12210 there are no space left on system partition for superuser.apk.
Before the firmware update I have a fully functional rooted reader with a second ext3-partition for apps on the external sdcard (made with Link2sd as shown here: Enlarge Storage for apps )

Here is my way to solve this situation:

1. Make full backup of all partitions before updating the firmware (just in case...) How do I do a full dump
2. Update to Firmware 1.0.04.12210 as written on Sony Site
3. After the update connect the reader via usb to pc, extract Superuser.apk and su from "minimal-root.zip"-Package and copy both to the root-folder of the sd-card named READER
4. unmount and disconnect reader from windows
5. Reboot in Recovery mode: Howto enter recovery mode
6. connect reader to pc and make a terminal connection via putty and login with user "root" and no password
7. do the following:
Code:
# mount system-partition
mkdir /tmp/sys
mount -t auto /dev/mmcblk2p10 /tmp/sys
# Look, theres no space left ;-)
df -h
#
# delete unused Wallpapers to get free space
cd /tmp/sys/app
rm LiveWallpapers.*
# check free space again
df -h
#
# mount reader-partition
mkdir /tmp/reader
mount -t auto /dev/mmcblk2p4 /tmp/reader
#
# copy superuser app to system
cp /tmp/reader/Superuser.apk /tmp/sys/app
cp /tmp/reader/su /tmp/sys/bin
#
# make correct settings (get infos from do_update.sh in minimal-root.zip)
chmod 06755 /tmp/sys/bin/su
mkdir -p /tmp/sys/xbin
ln -fs /system/bin/su /tmp/sys/xbin/su
# sync, unmount and reboot
sync
cd /
umount /tmp/sys
umount /tmp/reader
reboot
8. After reboot start awd launcher (via "Bar Shortcuts") and start "Link2SD"
Now you can say "okay" to superuser permissions then choose "ext3" as type for second partition of the external sdcard. The mount script for the Link2-SD-Partition will be created new.

9. reboot reader

Now all apps, data & root are available again!!!
Only issue is to say "okay" again to every first access to superuser rights from an app.

I hope this helps somone else.

Last edited by Thor; 02-01-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
vishcompany
Addict
vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.vishcompany can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Gen3(†); PB302(↓); PRS-350; T1; voyage
Looks like your real issue was having too many apps installed (and then linked them) when doing the update. Also other Link2SD users have run into trouble with a similar setup, while "standard" users (without Link2SD) could perform the upgrade without any problem (just run the su package after upgrading and you are done).

While it is a good thing, that you found a solution, it should also be stated, that the upgrade normally does not cause problems, but users of Link2SD should be aware of possible issues coming up, when doing the upgrade.
My guess would be, that it is easier to de-link and uninstall a number of apps temporarily and then do the upgrade.
vishcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Thor
Thor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enoughThor will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
No, it does not have to do with installed too many apps as the apps are installed on the data-partition and not to the system-partition. My Data-partition has 11 MByte free (without making any modifications since flashing the new firmware)
I just checked again /system/app: only superuser.apk is installed by me, nothing else.

But I make free another 6 MByte by deleting EbookDemo.apk and EbookDemo.odex

Edit: Perhaps someone without Link2sd can check and post the free space on /system after the firmware upgrade to see whats left afterwards.

Last edited by Thor; 02-01-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote