Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
emt
Nameless Being

Vaporware

So far as I can see, dozens of new "tablets" or whatever you want to call them yet I don't see one that can be bought yet outside of the IPad [talking about newly hyped stuff]

Show me a place to order the MS Courier, Entourage Edge, any of the ASUS tablets.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:40 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Sure! The Edge can be ordered at: http://www.entourageedge.com/devices...rage-edge.html

I got my Asus T91MT from the Tiger Direct/Comp USA store in Naperville, IL, but it's available on the site: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...y=asus%20t91mt

The Courier is the only one you named that is still a concept, not an actual product available for order.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Also, how about these?

https://store.archos.com/product_info.php

http://iiviewpad.com/specs.php

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...F8&me=&seller=

Or in a larger form factor:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/notebooks/...-series-tablet

http://laptoping.com/toshiba-portege-m780.html

Or was the original post just great bait? :-)

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Probably. But I can't stand it when they don't even bother to search first.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
Nakor
Addict
Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nakor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Vaporware isn't quite the right term either. New stuff that hasn't come out yet or even stuff that's been delayed isn't really vaporware. Vaporware is stuff that's been delayed so much it's basically been forgotten -- stuff that will probably never come out.
Nakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
MovieBird
TuxSlash
MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MovieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: GlowNook
You guys are so helfpul! My inclination was to just give a link to LMGTFY.
MovieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBird View Post
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
emt
Nameless Being

Thanks for the posts but...

Most of the items listed by the posters were netbooks, and, you can order anything but when will it be delivered?
I noticed in passing that Plastic Logic has now stopped taking online orders.

I'm talking real tablets and, leaving aside the Archos A5IT which I have and is a real POS [go to archosfans.com to see the number of dissatisfied users] I still only see the IPad
Old 03-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Most of the items listed by the posters were netbooks, and, you can order anything but when will it be delivered?

I'm talking real tablets and, leaving aside the Archos A5IT which I have and is a real POS [go to archosfans.com to see the number of dissatisfied users] I still only see the IPad
You're just trolling now. Only the Asus linked above is a netbook, and even on that the screen rotates and folds flat into a tablet configuration.

I think we'll just take over your thread and use it to explore the possibilities that do certainly exist.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 03-15-2010 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Reworded netbook comment for clarity.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #10
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
My first reaction would be to hold up a "Do Not Feed The Trolls" sign. Note the misuse of an emotionally charged word (somewhat anyway), lack of evidence of research, and if you look at the post history, you will see that this person already owns a tablet!

There are tablets no longer for sale, tablets currently for sale, and tablets that will be for sale eventually. There are big ones and small ones. Pure ones and convertible ones. Cold ones, hot ones, and just right ones. There is no need to panic.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #11
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Alternative tablets to to iPad do exist.... they just aren't very good.

If you want a super light weight tablet with good battery life and apps/games/video/music with 10 hrs battery and high quality capacitive touch LCD, there's nothing else at the moment.

That being said.. show me a place where I can buy the iPad now? It's not released yet and there will be a bunch of competitors improving their products as we speak, to include blutooth and improve their form factor/battery life.

Most competitor 'tablets' are thick chunky slabs which tried to get a laptop into a tablet form factor or are simply mini laptops with a touch screen. Aesthetically, Apple makes good hardware, there is nothing with the form factor of an iPad on the horizon (super slim, 10hrs battery etc etc).
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Aesthetically, Apple makes good hardware, there is nothing with the form factor of an iPad on the horizon (super slim, 10hrs battery etc etc).
Apart from, say, the NotionInk Adam, which scheduled for July surely counts as on the horizon?

But we've been round that loop on the other thread. Overall I agree with your post.

Graham
Old 03-15-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
devseev
devseev began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
It's true, a lot of announcements, but not much available right now (and a whole lot may never materailize).

This one is pricy and on the heavy side, but the Lenovo X201 looks to be a pretty sweet tablet PC and shipping now: http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/23/l...tablet-review/

Also Entourage eDGe has shipped a lot of pre-orders already and promises to ship new orders March 26 - 11 days from now. Of course that date could slip a bit (or they might run out) but they've managed to ship out quite a few units already from what I have seen. I've also seen a couple (outrageously priced) units on eBay for those who cannot afford to wait.

While the EDGE has taken knocks in tech site reviews, user reviews are actually very positive. It's by no means a perfect device and lots of software updates have been promised in the near future, but for anyone needing more than just an e-reader it could be the ticket. It's not a

For some comments see:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77115

http://groups.google.com/group/entourage-edge-fan-forum
devseev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #14
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
You do it like this.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post

Don't forget the iPad (iTablet and all it's other guessed at names) was vaporware for many many years. As were many other devices. In some ways it still is because it is not the OSX running devices many people thought they were going to get.

If a lot of the devices we have been getting exited about aren't in place this time next year, then you'll get fewer arguments about them being vaporware (see the Readius).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote